• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What the heck is it??

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
As I continue to strip my BE to a shell, I found this in the right rear side of the trunk area. Anyone know what is it and should I have found two? Or have I just found a really weird paperweight? Not really sure how/why I would file papers back there anyway!!!It measures 2 7/8" x 1 7/8: x 1 1/8"
The best thing I did find was some crumpled up newspaper dated Oct 1960 stuffed behind the wheel wells. Paper stuffed on both sides, but not sure why??? Sound insulation???

Attachments

• 19992.jpg
    19992.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 283
  • 19993.jpg
    19993.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 279
Country flag
If it is solid, then I'll say it is a body dolly (tool)

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Yep. it's solid steel. Not being a body guy, what was it used for?

Country flag
You hold it against the sheet metal when you hammer on the other side. Generally, hammering (on dolly) is for stretching/shaping.

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
they are not cheap, so if you don't want it find someone that can use it. spray so blaster on them or soak in old motor oil to bring back.

G

mightymidget said:
they are not cheap, so if you don't want it find someone that can use it. spray so blaster on them or soak in old motor oil to bring back.

I gotta whole set w/ hammers for $15

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
newspaper and bondo not uncommon...hope that's not the case here!

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
you got a good deal on them, I get mine from eastwood and they are a lot more...I was looking at the newspaper and noticed the weather was given in color. pretty high class for the 60s

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
It's got it's fair share of glass and bondo on the rear quarters, but it's getting a full "facelift"! The floorpans are original and not rusted thru and the bonnet is complete and solid. In general the car is really solid.
The good news w/ the paper is it's dated 1960 and the car is a 59 BE, even the LBC's didn't rust that fast!!!!!

v8mgbal

Jedi Trainee
Hey, maybe they put it there so when you held a magnet to it it would fool you into thinking there's no bondo LOL.

dklawson

Yoda
I think that's a wonderful find even if it does hint at bodywork done long ago. Combine that with the old newspaper you found and consider for a moment that poor bodywork guy who nearly 50 years ago looked around and said "Hey... where's the dolly I used on that quarter panel?"

Country flag
I've lost more than a few tools, and I'm sure some of them are riding around in some old car that I've worked on.

K

KSIS

Would you beleive I found the same hammer dolly in the door of my spitfire. I left it up on the sill of my work bench as a reminder to double check my tools before I shut the bonnet.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Hey, if it's the same one how'd it get in my car, better check your work bench. I didn't know they migrated but I am somewhat south of NY....lol

G

mightymidget said:
you got a good deal on them, I get mine from eastwood and they are a lot more...I was looking at the newspaper and noticed the weather was given in color. pretty high class for the 60s

Allot of stuff eastwood has can be found elsewhere for less. I always look around first. Especially now w/ the net.