• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electronic ignition

Ralph F.

I am considering installing a Pertronix ignition on my '67 BJ8 3000 to improve starting (and running). Is this system compatible with both positive and negative ground ? I am still positively grounded, and would like to stay that way.
Does the Pertronix affect the operation of the tachometer ? If so, what is the fix ?
Finally, I ran a BT7 back in the '60's with a CD ignition kit which I built and installed myself, and it worked great. Anyone have any positive experiences using a CD ignition in the BJ8 ?

Velox

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Ralph, I have a 66 BJ8 and converted to electronic ignition. It works great, is reliable, very simple install, and no more points to worry about. The usual suspects have these kits, Pertronix is a common one, and they have different products for positive ground and negative ground cars. For example, at Moss the Pertronix kit for your car +ground is 222-560 and for -ground is 222-415. These are usually around 100 bucks, cheaper at alternate stores, eBay etc. They require no change to your stock electronic tach. The tach would have to be converted only if you changed your positive ground BJ8 to a negative ground system. I have not used CD systems in the Healey, I'm sure others will add in here with help. Good luck! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Some have had trouble with the tach after installing the Pertronix ignition. Pertronix recommends that you take one loop out of the pickup at the back of the tach and instead just have the ignition-coil wire pass through the pick-up just once. However, that didn't work for mine. I actually had to pass another loop through the pick up (Had to use smaller gauge wire to make the additional pass through). My tach works up to about 4000 rpm's and then falls back to zero. Honestly, I don't know if that is a Pertronix issue or not. Mo Ma Manufacturing, the outfit that rebuilds gauges say they can make a tach work properly with a Pertronix, but I think the price is more than the Pertronix.

Wana

Jedi Hopeful
I've been running a Pertronix for over a year now in my '66 BJ8 and it hasn't missed a beat. My tach read a little high before I installed the electronic ignition, and it still reads high after installation. I haven't messed with the loops as I don't really rely on the tach much anyway. I'm still positive ground as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OH! I am proud of the lot of you---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
I believe LU-142AP12 is the kit number for the positive earth Pertronix for a BJ8. I have them in stock and sell them for $90 with free installation. You have to use the positive ground kit or it won't work!
Jeff

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Nope Jeff, it is a LU-162AP12 and $90.00 is a bit over the top!. If you inadvertently use the wrong polarity Kit it will burn up!---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif

JeffS

Jedi Trainee
Keoke, you're right on the product number, the 142AP12 is the 4cyl version. My mistake.
Over the top on the price? Moss charges $128 for that kit and "dealer price" is $101. I suppose there are others who are cheaper and by no means do I intend to use this forum to sell my wares. I don't even stock that kit. I just meant to give a guideline for the price one should expect to pay.
Jeff

OP
R

Ralph F.

Keoke, you must have access to some super cheap suppliers, but the best price I could find was $90 as well. Already have it ordered, thanks to the feedback from fellow forum members.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Ralph F, Try Retro Rockets and see if you cant save a few.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cowboy.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jeff, comparitively speaking that Goleta crowd are a bit over the top on most things.---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif