• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

NORTON BOYER ELECTRONIC IGNITION WITH COILS &podtr

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, I go out today to fire up the Norton - nothing...no fire getting to plugs; heck, no fire getting to coils! Good power coming out of battery through ignition switch but nothing from there to engine side; so, it looks like my old Boyer electronic ignition control box just up & died since the lights & everything else works - but she just won't fire.

So, I quickly bought the below described item through eBay's "buy it now" program. It should be here Friday & I'll start replacing each individual item until I find the culprit; then, I'll put all new items on her. Any of the old parts that are good will go on the shelf as spares.

Darn!
------

Boyer ignitions have been around for a very long time now. They are tried, proven and have become the standard of the industry! Why? Because there are no more points,condensors or advance units to fail. The ignition timed spark will be the same on both cylinders. The electronic control unit has an advance curve that is compatible with today's gasoline. Now we come to the coils. Will your bike start and run on 12volt coils? Probably, however what does Boyer tell us? On the instruction sheet from Boyer they say: for low compression engines two 12volt coils in series are satisfactory, but for racing and high compression engines two 6volt coils in series or one 12volt double ended coil with a primary resistance of 3 to 4.5 ohms will give the best results. Two 12volt coils will be 7.4 ohms, two 6volt coils will be 3.8 ohms. That and years of experience is why I use, sell and reccomend 6 volt coils. Remember low compression is 7-to-1 not the 9-to-1 or more most of us use. When you are out on the road, going through the gears at full throttle, the engine and ignition doesn't know you are not racing!

For this auction I have included a Podtronics unit that takes the place of your rectifier and zener diode. They are compact, easy to install and come with full instructions. you may add spark plugs and wires at check out $20.00. If you don't understand call me at 210-402-5350. Its much easier for me to talk on the phone than type on this computer. I ship FEDEX, fully insured, so you get a real tracking number. When it comes to electrics for your Norton, this is the best buy on ebay. You can buy cheaper but you can't buy better! Thank you, Ron

f8_1_b.JPG

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good thing you've got extra cars to distract you when the bike is offline. Or is it a bike to distract you when the cars are on the lift? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Both!

Super 7

Jedi Warrior
I do not like the slow advance curve of the Boyer. I think it cuts mid range power. As you no doubt already know, Commandos come stock with six volt coils, right? You just get rid of the ballast resistor, as I recall. I have had quite a bit of trouble with the mechanical advance, but never any with the points. I know of some fast running Commandos with fixed advance. I ran fixed on a trident once, but then they are not so hard to kick.

OP
tony barnhill

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
All I had to do was change the Boyer control box - everything else was good so I left it alone...put the other new parts on the shelf in case.