• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

electronic ignition systems

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Yes, it works great. However, properly adjusted points work well too. The only problem with the Pertronix is that you can burn them out by leaving the ignition key on without the car running.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
The other problem is getting the old tach to work with the new ignition. Finally I had Nisonger replace the innards of the old tach with modern electronics. Works great.

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
I have been running a Pertronix unit for 3 years now (20k miles) without any type of problem. I had no problem with my tach either. I installed it when I made the change to negative ground. It is nice not having points to keep adjusted and timing to keep adjusting because of the dwell changing.

Mark

Ed_K

Jedi Knight
I am also very pleased with my Petronix unit. I also bought a spare and carry it in my boot with my other spares but have never needed it.

:iagree:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ed_K said:
I am also very pleased with my Petronix unit. I also bought a spare and carry it in my boot with my other spares but have never needed it.

:iagree:

I also carry a spare. I've heard that if the Pertronix goes bad, there isn't any notice. Rather than putting the points back in, gapping them etc on the side of the road, installing another Pertronix will be a lot easier.

What are the chances of one going bad. Not very likely. But then if it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck at all.

My Lucas sports coil went bad last month. Luckily, and I can't believe I was lucky, I had the standard coil in the boot. My mechanic walked me through the process to find the problem. Again, lucky that he answered his cell phone on that Sunday afternoon. Once we (well him) found the problem was the coil, he said, coils hardly ever go bad. I carry a spare sports coil now, the stock ones don't work very well with the Pertonix. So there you have it, another item you may consider for the boot. Just a heads up for you paranoid folks. I mean cautious, prepared, smarts folks.

Cheers, Roger

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The old Pertronix units they made about a decade ago had a design flaw which resulted in the magnetic cam coming a part in some cars - mine included.

Pertronix has since redesigned this part, and I can safely say there's probably no need whatsoever to keep a spare Pertonix in the boot.

Actually probably better to keep a cheap used set of points and condenser which you know works in the boot. You don't have to gap it perfectly on the side of the road, eyeballing it is close enough and rough timing it will get you home. Thing with Points and condenser is they are cheap, and will work if used as a spare.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
shorn said:
The only problem with the Pertronix is that you can burn them out by leaving the ignition key on without the car running.

Would someone please explain why the burnout situation. If left on for how long? What happens? How to tell if it happened? Can't start car? Questions like these are coming to mind.

I've got an intermittent grounding problem with my stereo system. In trying to locate the problem, I have the ignition on, without the car running.

Thank you,
Roger

Country flag
I've carried a spare set on general principles... if I'm out for a drive with friends in their Healeys, someone, sometime and someplace just might need them; and if I'm lucky, it won't be me.... :yesnod: :smile:

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Roger -

The Ignition switch for the TR 4 is identical to the BJ8 switch but has a 4/position / aux switch like a modern car. This is the switch I have in my BJ8, very helpful for running the stereo without having to turn the car on.