• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crane electronic ignition installation

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
There has been some discussion, from time to time, about electronic ignitions and the pros and cons of the various kinds. I just finished installing a Crane XR700 in my bugeye, so I thought I'd write up something about my experience doing the conversion and make it available, for what it's worth. The report is at https://www.nonlintec.com/sprite/ignition/.

The one real problem was that none of the shutter disks provided with the kit really fit the Bugeye distributor correctly. This was really disturbing. I don't know if my distributor is a little different from the usual, or if the fit problem will apply to all sprites.

I'd be interested to hear about other people's experience doing this.

JerryB

Jedi Warrior
I like the part about bimbos......

you took your time and did a methodical installation of that unit. Thats why it works.

I have used/installed many Borg Warner photo-optic units which were the predecessor to the Allison units which were bought by Crane quite a few years ago. Same type of universal part number one size fits 4 and 6 cyl type thing. So it is no surprise that you had to modify the reluctor wheel. There were quite a few minor diferences in the Lucas 23and 25 series dists in those years, and possibly the mfgr had never tried their product on all of them.

A lesser "attention to detal" person would have returned it or thrown the unit in the trash. This is why, I believe, that the more popular Pertronix getsa a bad rap....especially with ballast issues. The only problems I have ever had with the Perts is blowing the magnets out of the pole piece at 7500 rpm.

10musketeer

Jedi Trainee
Thanks! I found that very interesting. I just came in from the garage after changing the points on my car and was having trouble starting the car afterwards. I seem to have a large backfire now, so I think my timing changed significantly! (Unless I got my wires on the cap wrong again!) After reading your article, I think I will try to get things running and then run the points until they need replacing again or I have another problem and then go to the electronic ignition.

Very nice site!

OP
Sarastro

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for your comments. I decided to soften the statements about the Pertronix and reliability--after all, I have no first-hand experience with this unit, and don't really know why people have had problems with it.

I'm toying with the idea of making my own shutter for the Crane ignition and bugeye distributor, but that will have to wait until I can pull the distributor again and measure everything. Might be a fun machine-shop project, though.

That's a great thing about these cars--not only can you futz with them happily forever, as they are, but it's easy to imagine all kinds of secondary projects.