• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Electronic Ignition Distributor

rjfoster03

I am looking at installing an Electronic Ignition Distributor in a neg. ground 67" Sprite. I wanted to see if anyone that has done this install, had any thoughts on it.

Here is the setup that I am looking at:

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

Country flag
If you are just looking for a distributor that works and not worried about peak performance and/or efficiency then that would probably work OK. If you want to improve the performance of your engine, then I suggest having your distributo rebuilt and recurved to work with todays fuels and the current engine specs. Jeff can help you with that. Here is his website https://advanceddistributors.com/ (no financial interest)

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Agree! Having Jeff redo your regular distributor is one of the best things that you can do for your car.
BillM

DanLewis

Jedi Trainee
I have an Accuspark electronic distributor on my 1275 and it has never given me any trouble. You can buy one of their complete brand new electronic distributors with or without vacuum advance on eBay from "mgbreaker" (aka "Watford Classic Cars") in England for about US$100 including shipping. They ship VERY fast - I got mine in less than a week.

If you don't want to buy a complete distributor, they also sell the conversion kits to put inside your own distributor for about half the cost.

'Just my two cents.

Dan

OP
R

rjfoster03

Thanks everyone for the suggestions/replies.

I am just looking to make some changes in the Sprite, but nothing to do with performance. The Sprite is more of a "toy" that I drive to and from work and some around town. I will take a look at the advancedistributors website, as well as the Accuspark electronic distributor on ebay.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/replies.

I am just looking to make some changes in the Sprite, but nothing to do with performance. The Sprite is more of a "toy" that I drive to and from work and some around town. I will take a look at the advancedistributors website, as well as the Accuspark electronic distributor on ebay.

What's wrong with points?? Never have had a problem I couldn't easily fix!

Kurt.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nothing WRONG with points, except maybe that they have to be adjusted, either in the car(uncomfortable) or pull the dizzy then reset the timing. And they wear out. And have to be replaced. Finding a set can be fun. Oh, and the condensor can go bad, and new ones of those are a crap shoot.

I'm a firm believer in low maintenance, or could you tell? I put in a Crane unit six years ago and haven't had to do a thing since, except change the cap and rotor.

OP
R

rjfoster03

I do like the low maintenance thing...... will make the change to electronic vs. point this week, once I decide on either getting up with Jeff or ordering a completed setup.

nomad

Yoda
I agree with your point's,:friendly_wink:, Bill but he just stated that he doesn't drive the car much. IMHO the only argument for electronic is if you drive a lot. Then the maintaining issue makes sense.

Kurt.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Oh, I forgot to mention, I did have the dizzy sent off to be rebuilt (by Jeff, of course) and he reset the Crane unit. .. Best of all Worlds!--an electronic Jeff Dizzy.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have a Flamethrower distributor... and always carry a mechanical spare in my boot. :wink-new:

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Before I changed to electronic I was left stranded by a new condenser after 20 miles on it. No problems after more than 45,000 miles on electronic ignition and service from Jeff.

X2! I think I might have had 100 miles on mine though :-/
I'm very sceptical about the quality of the points/condensers available these days.

nomad

Yoda
OK, OK, points made by all! I'm still running on NOS condensers with more in the drawer. I've heard that the new condenser's are c**p.
Didn't Jeff have a new really cheap electronic conversion that he was putting out on trial a while back??
Might be a good idea to get hold of him first.

Kurt.