• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 radiator removal

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
I need to get into my timing cover. The Haynes manual, in describing radiator removal, does not mention removal of the apron. I have all hoses, fasteners, stay rods, water outlet, etc., removed and the radiator is fully loose, but no maneuvering seems to allow it to come out. Am I missing something? Thanks,

Bob

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
you need to remove the apron.

OP
B

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Thanks. This is what I recalled from the 3 I had 45 years ago, but I thought I might give the Haynes omission a try. Right front fender needs some paint work and as long as I have it that far apart I might as well do that too. I hate painting in all its forms and manifrestations.
Bob

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The Haynes manual, in describing radiator removal, does not mention removal of the apron.
That's odd, mine does (although they call it the "cowling"). Are you sure you didn't read the TR4 procedure by mistake?

attachment.php

Attachments

• UNTITLED.JPG
    UNTITLED.JPG
    13.9 KB · Views: 165

mgedit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Having done this twice recently, you will have to remove the nose to get the rad out. Cheers, Mike

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, someone reported years ago that it would come out, if you remove enough other things (like the cylinder head & water pump). Seems like a lot of work to me, but that might depend on how badly rusted the apron bolts are, and whether you were going to tear down the engine anyway.

titanic

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I can remember removing the radiator without removing the apron. The water pump (with housing),fan and generator were also removed. I taped card board on the radiator to protect the fins. In the end, probably not much time was saved, but I was concerned about dinging the paint by removing the apron. I vaguely remember an article in an old (circa 1980s)Moss newsletter about the procedure.
Berry

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe, if all you wanted to do was R&R the radiator it might be practical - but to also remove the timing cover (and fan and crank pulley, etc.) then you will be infinitely more comfortable with the apron out of the way.

As for those Haynes instructions - can't make heads nor tails of them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Maybe, if all you wanted to do was R&R the radiator it might be practical - but to also remove the timing cover (and fan and crank pulley, etc.) then you will be infinitely more comfortable with the apron out of the way.

As for those Haynes instructions - can't make heads nor tails of them.
Now that you mention it, I've had the timing cover off without removing the radiator or apron. But I had previously removed the extension and mechanical fan.

FWIW, the Haynes section is almost word-for-word from the TR2/3 factory workshop manual. They do kind of make sense, if you know how to interpret them. For example, the "cowling stay to the chassis" refers to the two rods that help support the hand crank guide. And the "water seal" I believe is the rubber fender welt that was used on early TR2. Even without the welting, I find the apron comes off a lot easier if I pull it forward at the bottom first, just an inch or two, before pulling upwards.

OP
B

bobhustead

Gold
Country flag
Meanwhile, I got it all apart. Timing chain has no inclination to stand up. Shiny mark inside the cover on the tensioner side of the system. 3500 miles on the cheap replacement chain, but I did not, at the rebuild, replace the cam sprocket. Its teeth are kind of pointy. I have ordered the upgrade chain, new cam sprocket (crank sprocket looks fine), speedy sleeve, seal, gaskets, lock tabs, tensioner, fan mount items, et al. Apron removal wasn't bad, but is quite tedious. Thanks to all.
Bob

Last edited: