• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Safety mods every Tr3 should get

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I hope that we all drive our LBC's and are aware that the factory NEVER imagined the need for extra
brake lamps. Having done collision work for the last 5 decades, I have repaired a number of Tr3's. mostly
hit from the rear.
Remove and replace the bulb sockets on the rear turn lamps, installing the two filament style as fitted in
the front. Now you have an 1157 bulb that ,with a 10 inch jumper wire to the brake lamps will give
you 4 brake lamps. This mod will NOT hurt a concourse car at all (safety!) Hopefully it will save the
neck injury that is often also involved in a mashed rear end.
Mad dog

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
What needs to be done to make the signal lamps continue to flash when the brakes are applied? Do you run the jumper wire from the brake light to the "low" side of the signal lamp?

OP
mctriumph

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The simplicity of this mod is there is NO change in the turn signals. You have added a two filament bulb
and connected it to the brake lamp circuit at the Bullitt connector inside the brake lamp.
Yes LED's are best .
Dont be this guy (12k rear ender)
Mad dog

Attachments

• IMG_0962.JPG
    IMG_0962.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 45

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The early Porsche guys do something similar, replacing the 1156 turn-signal bulb with an 1157, then wiring the low-power filament to the brake-light circuit. It's not a huge increase in light, but it does give a wider angle over which the brake light is visible. My 912 has this mod.

JHaydon

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Okay, so the (existing) brake light feed goes to the (new) "low beam" on the (new) 1157 in the turn signal, and the (existing) turn signal wire goes to the "high beam" on the (new) 1157? That's the connection that wasn't clear to me.

Even if it is just a small increase in light, I agree that every little bit helps.

OP
mctriumph

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I went high to high since turn signals run down your blinker fluid levels, I dont use them too often.
So the dimmer filament is OK but America is all about personal freedom .I just dont want to be hit
in the rear again(my neck cant cope with more whiplash).
Mad dog

Attachments

• IMG_0963.JPG
    IMG_0963.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 42

RichB4493

Freshman Member
Country flag
I have a luggage rack and am not a concourse contender by any means. I’m thinking of putting a ~12” LED light bar across the upper horizontal bar of the rack.
Anyone done that and if so which light did you acquire. I’m thinking a thin profile that can strap/bolt on somewhat seamlessly.
Rich.

charlie74

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
With some of the adhesive backed strips of LED lights you will have lots of options to light up your luggage rack and they will be barely noticeable when not lit up. Good idea; every LBC should have some supplemental lighting so the barges behind us can see us better. The higher the better too…
IMG_2624.jpeg

OP
mctriumph

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have done it many times. Use speaker wire to sneak through your tubing so only a small hole needs
to be drilled. This can take time /beer and some welding wire(.030) to fish it in.
Speedway sells a lamp in an alloy housing that is nice but there are lots of options. Mostly you just have to do it
as neatly as you can. When you have run the wire, take a pensile and wrap the wire into a coil where it (like
an old phone cord) can hang inside the boot. Then ground the neg wire and hook up the pos.
Mad dog

TR-3rg

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hi,
Optronics makes a nice red LED strip light. They come in a couple of sizes, 9" to 20" by 1.25" wide. Google Optronics Streamline LED Trailer Tail Light. They are submersible and cost less than $25. I have a 16" on my roll bar.

Roy

RichB4493

Freshman Member
Country flag
Thanks all! I forgot to mention that I’m still positive ground. I have positive ground LED bulbs already in place on the front and tails. And they work great.

Hamish Racing

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i put a strip of lights on my roll bar very cheap eBay it includes flashers too but didn’t wire these up but it’s very slim, tidy and flexible

also I bought these for an oil pressure warning light on the dash. I can see why they’d be great as a rear warning light and small enough

I’m sure you could find similar on US eBay