• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fire supression system

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
For those of you that have built-in fire supression systems in your cars where do you have the nozzle(s) pointing? I am installing a 5 # FE-36 Firebottle system in the MK IV and wonder whether I should have all of the agent dumping onto me through one or two nozzles in the driving compartment or should I also be directing a nozzle onto the engine? All advice will be appreciated.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
JMHO: Clearly YOU count as top priority but most of the ugliness (usually) starts in the engine bay. I'd be for one nozzle high at the firewall aimed forward as well as the one in the cockpit. Aimed down, waist high. Didn't look to see how many outlets are realistically supported with that bottle, but if only two, that's what I'd plan for... and we NEVER want to hear you needed it!!

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
There was a pretty good ~Discussion~ on the VARA forum about this.

My gut reaction would be similar to Entropy's: one nozzle aimed at you and one aimed at the engine/carb area. You might consider putting the engine nozzle towards the front of the engine so that wind would blow it back to the carb area (if the car was burning at speed).

I'm interested in this idea too: I've never used anything more than a hand-held unit, but I think what you're doing is a good idea.

I notice that the SCCA magazine (SportsCar) did a piece on this subject in Feb 2010. Maybe you know someone who has that? (or get a back issue....might be available).

Here's a short vid on the firing off a system in a BMW

6GPdHLg" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

On a 5 pound system you need to limit yourself to two nozzles, three nozzle would just delute the effectiness of the system, so with that in mind, I like one in the engine and one on the driver. Remember never breath Halon, the whole ide is if you have to pull the buttom, hold your breath and get the heck out of the car. A nozzle can be done on the fuel cell if you go with the 10 pound system, but a good FIA fuel cell will hold up in a hard crash, we know that too well already, but if any of you have a cheap D ring fuel cells, now's a good time to rethink that. A FIA fuel cell is always cheaper than a skin graph.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I should have said in my post that I was "reinstalling" the system that came with the car and as it turns out it is at least ten years old, maybe more. Though the guage is in the green the bottle itself is not in the best of shape. Plus the agent in it is unknown and might be Halon 32 which I understand is relatively corrosive and will destroy carbs if discharged aside from being bad for the environment.

I decided to spring for a new system and ordered a 10# Fire Bottle which should be sufficient to protect me, the engine and the cell. Thanks for all the good advice.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Michael Oritt said:
I should have said in my post that I was "reinstalling" the system that came with the car and as it turns out it is at least ten years old, maybe more. Though the guage is in the green the bottle itself is not in the best of shape. Plus the agent in it is unknown and might be Halon 32 which I understand is relatively corrosive and will destroy carbs if discharged aside from being bad for the environment.

I decided to spring for a new system and ordered a 10# Fire Bottle which should be sufficient to protect me, the engine and the cell. Thanks for all the good advice.

Now I'm thoroughly confuzzled....

Michael Oritt said:
I am installing a 5 # FE-36 Firebottle system.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yup. But in a good way! Three nozzles are better than two any day. :laugh: :thumbsup:

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
This from the installation instructions that came with the 10# Fire Bottle system which arrived today:

"The system is designed to protect the driver. therefore the nozzles should be located in the driver's area. If other protection is needed you should have a separate system."

Thats what I'd would say too, if I sold fire systems, go check out some SCCA cars we've been running them for decades now.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: :iagree:

Glad you said it, Hap. I wuz a'skeert to. :wink:

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Yes, I think their motivation for making that statement is a bit transparent and let's just say that I did NOT install three separate systems!