• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Where to mount a fire extinguisher

Country flag
Happy new year, everybody! So where is the most common place to mount a fire extinguisher in a Healey? I was thinking behind the seat, but I want to be able to get to it quickly, too. .?..

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I've mounted mine right above the transmission tunnel. It's always in my view, if every needed.

'57 100-6 MM Interior.jpg

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I've read this question before here.
My question would be, how many owners, non racing or racing if you will, have had to use it?
Was there that much concern about this when the cars were driven off the showroom and driven daily?
Or is it because people who want an extinguisher within arms reach don't trust they can drive their cars for fear of it catching on fire?
I understand precaution, I have an extinguisher in the car. I don't think I'll need it, but now that I've talked about, please don't let that jinks it. I think it's a good idea to have one in case my friends or people in a group ride who don't stay on top of thing in their older cars, may need it.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
No doubt, a fire extinguisher can come in very handy! In my case, even a fire extinguisher was useless in a massive electrical fire driving my sisters old tempest. The car lit up like a torch before I could disconnect the battery. Getting to your original question, I would mount it forward of your vision such as Dougie or Rick.

AH100M

Jedi Trainee
If you ever intend to show your car at a concours virtually all require that every car have a working fire extinguisher installed.

I once had a guy with an XK-140 ask me if he could borrow my extinguisher after my car had been judged because he didn't have one. I looked at him as if he were asking me to borrow my sister.

kkaa

Jedi Hopeful
HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ok, Ill get one :>) and you can keep my sister too!!

If you ever intend to show your car at a concours virtually all require that every car have a working fire extinguisher installed.

I once had a guy with an XK-140 ask me if he could borrow my extinguisher after my car had been judged because he didn't have one. I looked at him as if he were asking me to borrow my sister.

MikeAH100M

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Dougie - Very cool, well fitted interior. I like the fire extinguisher placement. Just curious - what's the yellow button/tab on the bottom right steering wheel yoke? For autocrossing, I used put a piece of red duct tape as a "this end up" indicator on the top of the wheel but what this is plumb evades me.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Over 30 years of Healeying...over 10 different cars...used to have one....never came close to an incident..don't carry one now..

Pete

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Ha, I had to go back to the picture to look....Ear plugs, I usually place them under the rear view mirror. They're another item I want readily available.

71-Gp3CzFWL._AA1500_.jpg

Shane

Jedi Warrior
Mine rides with the Missus:

IMG_0694.jpg

It's about time that I replace mine, it has been in there for about ten years. Small investment considering what it is protecting. Just like insurance, I've carried it ever since I started driving, have never used it, but couldn't imagine leaving home without it.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Mine is attached to the roll bar behind the passenger seat. I can reach it from the driver's seat. I don't want to have to borrow someone's sister.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I mount mine on the plenum, using existing plenum attaching screws up under the dash on the pasenger side of the BJ8

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mine is in front of the seat right below my legs. Very easy to access.
My also-and in the same position on all my cars- I have TWO occasion to use it, all for electrical short on OTERS cars, if you can immediately use it
the probability in the control the fire are good- but if the intervention is late your possibility to extinguish are near to ZERO
POWDER or Co2 extinguisher are the better and 3 or 5 Kg is the minimum capacity
GOOD YEAR to ALL

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag

This is why I have one in my car. The concours de elegance in my area of California inform us that if we do not have a fire extinguisher, we are not allowed to participate/show the car. Story goes that one year, at some concours de elegance event, a car caught on fire and the flames caught the car next to it on fire.

Interesting thing about having an extinguisher with in arms reach or in visual sight, is that it may make one (usually the driver) feel reassured they have one in the event of a fire. Flip side, passenger may think, is it safe to be in this car if you feel the need to have a fire extinguisher in clear sight and arms reach.

As I mentioned earlier, this topic was brought up here before. I have mine in the boot. Open the boot, quick release to grab it. Topic of it's too far way in the boot etc. My response, is maybe 5-10 seconds more. So depending on where the fire is, engine compartment it may not matter. Or it's in arms reach in the car and it takes 5 seconds to unclip it from behind the seat (should not be just lying there rolling around). Or maybe it's at the front of the seat. Not sure in front of the seat is the best place in case it somehow comes loose and rolls to the pedals.

I carry one as a precaution thinking my car is not going to catch on fire but it's good to have, and I don't need it to be in sight. These cars when new, how many came with dealer installed fire extinguishers in view, in arms reach. How many owners installed one. I've never seen any black and white movies when the cars were new, where there was a extinguisher in the car (not racing movies).

If you truly feel your car is in such condition that it may catch on fire, then you would be a candidate to have it visually within arms reach in front of you on a quick release system. Easy to do on the pre BJ8 cars that don't have the center consul. With consul, maybe under the glove box.

Happy New Year everyone. Drive safe and fire free.

Last edited:

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Yes , a fire doesn't happen often but when it does it would be nice to have a fighting chance to save all the work I've done to the car.

I keep mine behind the passenger seat , rolled up in a towel. I don't have to think about it in the heat of the moment ( pun ) , just grab it and go .

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Yes , a fire doesn't happen often but when it does it would be nice to have a fighting chance to save all the work I've done to the car.

I keep mine behind the passenger seat , rolled up in a towel. I don't have to think about it in the heat of the moment ( pun ) , just grab it and go .

Nice pun.

You should ask others who have it behind the seat how they secure it to the car. Dangerous to have an extinguisher which has some mass to it, not secured somehow. An accident or any sudden move/jolt like hitting a pot hole or a sudden stop... may launching it up and out of the car or come in contact with the back of someones head.

How's that saying go, safety fast.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Nice pun.

You should ask others who have it behind the seat how they secure it to the car. Dangerous to have an extinguisher which has some mass to it, not secured somehow. An accident or any sudden move/jolt like hitting a pot hole or a sudden stop... may launching it up and out of the car or come in contact with the back of someones head.

How's that saying go, safety fast.
Extinguishers for automotive/RV/boat use come with a mounting bracket with a strap around the extinguisher with a quick release catch. I used a couple of hose clamps to attach the bracket to the roll bar. Alternatively, the bracket can be attached with a couple of screws./