• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

"Your car's on fire....."

Country flag
"Your car's on fire....."

So Im sitting in my kitchen, reading the Forums and the door bell rings. "Is that your little green car?" "Yes." "It's on fire!" Now,I guess all the time "wasted" reading the Forums must have been of some use because without thinking I grabbed one of the fire extinguishers we keep in the house in a READILY accessible location and RACED out to the car. Fortunately it was NOT engulfed in flames like the recent blue RB car in Canada. There were some flames under the car on the passenger side up by the engine. I was able to get the hood open and hit the flames with the extinguisher. It knocked out most of the fire but then the wire insulation was burning so I had to grab the hose and that was able to put the rest of the fire out...and that was when CFD came roaring around the corner. The neighbor that spotted the flames also placed a 911 call. Even though they weren't needed, it COULD have been MUCH worse. Then after I was SURE there was no more fire, I unhooked the battery. It looks like the connections to the starter is where things went wrong. I'll check it all over in the day light.

NEVER say to yourself "That can't happen to me..." because it CAN. I was prepared because of the advice of this and other Forums. PLEASE, follow the wisdom you find here - it can save your car and maybe even your LIFE.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Re: "Your car's on fire....."

Wow! Pete - glad you (and your neighbor) caught it!

Let us know what you find tomorrow.

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight

Man Pete!

I'm glad you got to it in time. I really hope the damage is minor.

If you need it, I think I have an MGB wiring harness or two in my parts stash.

Jody

Bruce Bowker

Obi Wan

Sure makes one think. Hope it is not too bad.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

That really sucks, Pete. One step forward, two back.

OP
S
Country flag

Seemingly the cause was a metal tie wrap - original? - that went around the wires going to the starter and was wrapped around the BRAKE LINES?? Seems over time, the wrap wore through the wire wrapping and eventually made a very small short....

All the damage only goes up to where the wrap was....

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag

This is not going to be a hard fix then?
Good luck Pete, we are here to help.

Dave :savewave:

Steve_S

Yoda

I'm glad you have neighbors who watch out for you, and that you were home to take care of it!

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight

Lucky is a good thing! If your car was in the garage with no one home ...Wow...I always put a battery kill switch in my early cars and sometimes in the later ones. On the way home from our car club meeting the other night the headlights on my 74.5 GT went out. I touched the rocker switch and they came back on. It got worse real fast but I was not worried. I was ready and just pulled back on the signal switch and the high beams would come on till I got the light switch going again. When I got back home I reached up under the dash and touched the back of the H/L switch. It was VERY hot and fell apart in my hand. I had to get the battery disconnected before I called it a night. I will be putting battery kill switches in ALL my MGs now. Always something to keep these cars interesting! Glad yours will end up OK! Bob

OP
S
Country flag

Steve_S said:
I'm glad you have neighbors who watch out for you, and that you were home to take care of it!

Very glad indeed! I had just come home from work, after picking up my little boat in preparation for the boat show tomorrow. So the B is parked with the little boat hooked to it and bigger boat is in the driveway next to the B. Like i said before, could have been a LOT worse!

Must have been a few of these looking over me yesterday ----> :angel:

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight

Ah HA! That explains it...the BOATS did it! Perhaps the bigger boat was trying to rescue the little boat from its captor.

Aw gee, sorry...I need some coffee. Glad it worked out!

Bruce

OP
S
Country flag

Bruce74B said:
Ah HA! That explains it...the BOATS did it! Perhaps the bigger boat was trying to rescue the little boat from its captor.

Aw gee, sorry...I need some coffee. Glad it worked out!

Bruce

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one! I had to read it twice (it's early and I don't do coffee! LoL) Made me laugh! :laugh:

OP
S
Country flag

Some follow up pictures. First is the ruined starter and all the ruined wiring. You can see the melted end of the solenoid in the upper left. The wires next to the starter are the remains of the 4 leads that connected to the terminal on the solenoid. The group at the bottom with the red wire and the white wire by itself are the 7 wires that ran to the back of the car and were melted together by proximity. The other wires by the white wire were also melted by being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Attachments

• 22659.jpg
    22659.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 158
OP
S
Country flag

Melted starter and solenoid missing a main terminal.....

Attachments

• 22660.jpg
    22660.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 156
OP
S
Country flag

And here's the missing main terminal.....now truly terminal!

Attachments

• 22661.jpg
    22661.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 153

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag

could have been a whole lot worse - glad it was caught

I have a starter from my 1974-1/2 MGB/GT that you can have for the cost of shipping. Just let me know....it's out in the barn "somewhere".

OP
S
Country flag

Thanks Rick but I'm already up and rolling. :driving:

Got a new lifetime starter from O'Reilly's for $70.

It's times like this that I am GLAD it's not a Roller. That would probably had 2 more zeros in the price tag! LoL

But I shouldn't tease the Parts Gods.....there IS Jaguar waiting for me and my.....er.....my wife's money!! :wink:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

*PFHZZZZZT!!!*

:shocked:

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag

Don't throw that main terminal away. You can probably get some sucker at Cristies Auction to pay millions for it as abstract art.