• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wrecked my Bugeye

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I wish people would learn how to negotiate roundabouts properly. It is a 2-lane roundabout....I was in the outside lane and a Ford Probe was in the inside lane and was a couple of car lengths ahead of me. Everything was fine as we entered the roundabout, but then she fails to turn and drives right into my lane when I was right next to her (the front of the Bugeye was next to her passenger door). I slammed on the brakes but I could not stop in time and hit her right rear bumper.

I called the cops and she had the audacity to claim that she was in the outside lane and I must've been following her too closely or something to that effect. The skid marks prove I was in the outside lane at the point of impact and there is no possible way I could have hit her right rear bumper if she too was also in that lane (I would have rear ended her square on the bumper with my grille). It was clear that she cut the corner, but since there were no witnesses the cop could not issue her a ticket.

Now I get to fight her insurance company.....should be fun since she's going to claim it wasn't her fault and that she was in the outside lane.

My poor Bugeye!

29486_.jpg

29487_.jpg

29488_.jpg

29489_.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ouch! Glad you're okay... so many drivers just don't seem to understand the concept of a roundabout. Good luck with the insurance battle ahead.

G

Where does the report say you were?

If they give you the run around, start talking about neck pain, lots of tests and a lawyer. :wink:

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Does anyone else out there feel like drivers are getting worse and worse? And less likely to take responsibility for their actions these days?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Sorry to hear- I hope you took pictures of the skid marks

G

JPSmit said:
Sorry to hear- I hope you took pictures of the skid marks

Which ones? If it were me there'd be at least two sets, three if she hit the brakes also:D

(Just tryin' to make you laugh bro.)

G

Bonnet kinked under the grill or is that just me?

Man, that sucks bro!

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
hey - the important stuff is already covered: you're undamaged, and the bugeye damage is repairable. Unfortunately, stupidity is often permanent but life isn't.

Doug

OP
mrsprite

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The report won't be available until Monday.....I didn't ask to look at what the cop wrote down at the scene (probably should have). I was adamant that I was in the outside lane and she was in the inside lane. She couldn't really say for sure which lane she was in, but said she had to have been in the outside lane (she was definitley not 100% certain).

I showed the cop the skid mark (from the tires! :smile: ) and the remnants of my turn signal housing. He later said he could not verify who was where and that there were other skid marks in the area and who's to say which ones were mine. I pointed out that my tires are barely 4" wide and match the mark I showed him, but he wouldn't make that determination.

I did not have a camera for the skid mark and the sun was beginning to set. I plan on heading there in the morning to snap a few pics.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
mrsprite said:
I did not have a camera for the skid mark and the sun was beginning to set. I plan on heading there in the morning to snap a few pics.

glad to hear it, data trumps opinion. BTW glad to hear you are safe and as I read this I realize Ms Triss is getting a louder horn this spring.

G

mrsprite said:
kellysguy said:
Bonnet kinked under the grill or is that just me?

Man, that sucks bro!

Sadly, yes. There is a kink in the lower valence.

Sounds like new Heritage bonnet time. Lemme know when you need an estimate. I'll be sure and include shipping cost both for the bonnet and the car to me and back. :wink:

Ya know, not too many folks will work on classic cars. :yesnod:

OP
mrsprite

mrsprite

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
kellysguy said:
Sounds like new Heritage bonnet time. Lemme know when you need an estimate. I'll be sure and include shipping cost both for the bonnet and the car to me and back. :wink:

Ya know, not too many folks will work on classic cars. :yesnod:

I'm lost.....do you sell Heritage bonnets?? I will actually be visiting a friend of mine in Mississippi next month, so it could be good timing if you have one.

If you don't, who in the US sells them (and how much are they)?

Thanks.

G

No, but I can write you an estimate. I believe Heritage will ship direct to you or anywhere you wish. Their site seems to be down right now.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Why is it cops can be so worthless sometimes??
Good luck, I'm sure it will all work out for you.

nomad

Yoda
I feel for you, Mike. I unfortunatly have been in exactly the same situation. The lousey cop refused to make a decision as to wrong and I assume you carry liability insurance only. In my case the lady was crying hystericaly and the cop felt sorry for her so didn't ticket her for failure to yield. Her insurance company, as soon as they found out I only had liability, said "Sue us!". So I'm going to go to court, take time off work, and sue them when I can't prove anything. Her insurance company was State Farm and need I say that no matter how good a deal they are offering they will never get my business.

Sorry for being a pessimist and I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted.

BTW IMHO England should have kept the 'round about'!

Kurt.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
If the officer has not issue a citation then you may have some opportunity to ask for an official accident investigation to prove fault. The information that you have gathered may be helpful with the investigation if they find fault with the other driver. Then you will have to fight the issues out with the cost of repairs with their insurance company. You will also need to obtain appraisal values of your car to provide to their insurance for relevance to the value of the car and the cost of a replacement bonnet. I hope that you have agreed value with you insurance company; if you don’t you may have an issue.

However regarding you skid marks, be sure to take a tape measure to the site of the accident location. Lay the tape measure across the marks to give relevance to the tire size when you are taking the photos as well the distance of your skid. Also take photos from several angles, then go and photo the car’s front tires holding the tape for comparison. All of this will help in stating where you were at the time of the accident and your relative location and position of your car to the other person if you have the opportunity to have a hearing.

Unfortunately, Heritage doesn’t manufacture bonnets for Bugeyes. If the did you can order them direct not needing to go threw any third party to do so. https://www.britishv8.org/Articles/BritishMotorHeritage-Intro.htm

Good bonnets come up on eBay from time to time, if you want a new bonnet Wheeler & Davies make complete body shells and bonnets, they even make competition aluminum bonnets if you want one, https://sebringsprite.com/bodyshell.html

Very sorry to here about your misfortunes, I hope that everything works out!

nomad

Yoda
I think a decent body man can iron that out. That is if you can find one now days that can do more than just bolt on panel's. Ask around.

Kurt.