• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Won't start and won't jump.

MattP

Jedi Knight
I am trying to track down the reason. I notice that the clock still works, lights still come on, and the fuel pump clicks happily, but the engine won't turn over. When I tried jumping it, it tried harder but still couldn't quite get it done. This is making me think that it is something down the line from the battery, any suggestions?

G

Check for voltage at the starter solenoid control wire when you try to start.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
That or poor connections in the starter wire/ground circuit. Or even a bum starter. Check the others before yanking the starter though.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If all else fails run a ground from the battery directly to the engine. Sometimes trying to force electricity through several feet of corroded chassis metal is just too much. Bob

MgKid1974

Yeah im guessing its that your not getting spark. Obviously have fuel due to fuel pump clicking, compression because you didnt mention any gaskets blown out. Did you go through the basics (ie: check connections on coil, battery, and inspect spark plugs.) I'm assuming you did, but if not, definitley do that. I had a starting problem with my old B and I kept putting gas directly in the carb trying to start it when I figured out my spark plugs were all bad due to having sat around for years.

OP
MattP

MattP

Jedi Knight
I did do those basics you mention, but it doesn't even complete turning over, so the ignition is not really a concern.

Bob, Fie on you, saying corroded. That is one of the things I won't think about, so it can't happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

I'll start poking things Thurs. and report back. Assuming I don't blow myself up. Just after posting this, I noticed the tech tip in the back of the latest Moss, and felt like an idiot.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
If you have power to the starter and it won't turn over, try pounding the side of the starter motor with a rubber or wood mallet while someone trys to start it. This sometimes will identify a bad starter...not a permenent solution though, as climbing under to beat on the started gets to be a pain....

Bruce

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
If it won't turn at all, the starter may be jammed. Happens ocassionally on my car. Put it in 4th gear and push back and forth a bit and it will free the starter.
Other thoughs: if it still has the twin batteries, check the crossover connector-wire.
And as the other guys have said, check all the connections from battery(s) to solonoid to starter.
After trying everything else you may have to stand on your head and chant the secret Lucas mantra while facing England.
Sorry, but I can't tell you the secret mantra until you become a Yoda. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

G

After all the connections are checked and if you still have the problem then go direct to the large connection on the solonoid with the positive jumper leaving the other on ground. If it still doesn't turn the engine then pull the starter and check brushes and condition of armature. New brushes and emory cloth treatment of the armature where it contacts the brushes might fix it. Or if you don't have the confidence to fix the starter then a rebuilt one from a local rebuilder is cheaper than a new one.
Also, try jumping it without your battery in the circuit. There is a chance yours might load it when you are jumping the other battery across it if it is shorted or too low a resistance.
Bob

G

[ QUOTE ]
If you have power to the starter and it won't turn over, try pounding the side of the starter motor with a rubber or wood mallet while someone trys to start it. This sometimes will identify a bad starter...not a permenent solution though, as climbing under to beat on the started gets to be a pain....

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, I was having a problem like that with a chevy one time and I put a hammer in the car for that purpose. My wife was in the local shopping center parking lot and the car wouldn't start and a man stopped and asked if he could help. She told him she knew what the problem was. All he had to do was take the hammer and hit that black thingy on the side of the motor under the car. She said he got a puzzled look on his face but did what she said and it started up just fine. She thanked him, took the hammer and tossed it back on the floor back of the seat and drove off leaving him there scratching his head.
The trouble turned out to be bad brushes in the starter.
Bob

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

"New brushes and emory cloth treatment of the armature"
Just a little point, use fine grade glasspaper on armatures as the emery cloth leaves small bits of abrasive embedded in the copper armature.

Alec

OP
MattP

MattP

Jedi Knight
I get the ruunh but not the ungh, so I think it is moving, just not juice enough to get all the way around. That is when I am jumping it, without the jump, I just get the relay click.

I may have to delay the repair a while so that I can post "I want to be Yoda" a coupla thousand times and learn the chant. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

usasma

Jedi Trainee
Sounds like my problem - old connections and a weak battery. Have you tested the battery to see if it's still good? It took me ½ hour to get enough juice into mine to start it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

OP
MattP

MattP

Jedi Knight
I did, but I am going to start there again tomorrow, just to be sure. If it is just the battery no one here will ever know. Ever. I feel too much the doof already. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

usasma

Jedi Trainee
No, that's not doofus. This is doofus...

Driving a '66 Mustang from MA to NJ, 17 years old - knew everything there was to know about cars.

On the Westchester Expressway I hear something hit the hood. Car sounds fine so I keep driving. Get to NJ and stop for some food - car won't start. Take the little round thing on the fender wall that's clicking (the solenoid)off and walk to the auto parts store to get a new one.

Walk back and install it - still nada! (naturally!) Get a push to the local service station and tell the mechanic all the good stuff that I know about cars.

Mechanic opens the hood, looks in, then tells me to come over. Then he says "Notice anything missing?" as he points at the area where the fan belt is supposed to be. Yep, that was what hit the hood! Now, that's embarrassing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
oh... I just remembered I had a similar experience a couple of months ago. Only, my car died and would not start again on my way to work one morning. It would click but do nothing, and with jumper cables it would partially turn the engine. However, no amount of time with jumper cables would charge the battery enough to start the car.

So I took the battery out of the car, and noticed it was buldging a bit on one side. I then had it tested at a PepBoys, and confirmed what I thought; the battery was completely dead and would not hold a charge anymore. Bought a new battery, cable terminals, and terminal covers. Installed the battery and was back in business.

OP
MattP

MattP

Jedi Knight
I notice that you mention terminal covers. I don't have those, and the day before something mildly heavy got dropped on the battery cover, could that have bridged the terminals and caused the problem?

I ruled that out because in my 67 Chevy I had the battery fall over and when it bridged, it exploded. All new hoses and wires after that for me. So that was what I would have expected from this.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I got the terminal covers in an attempt to reduce corrosion of the terminals. The previous battery had nice deposits of that white crud all over the terminals, and the crud would start coming back within 2 to 3 weeks of cleaning the terminals. Since I've put in the new battery and terminal covers to go with it, I've had none of that white stuff show up on the terminals. It's been about 4 months since I intsalled the new stuff.

I'm not sure if it's the covers that's keeping the corrosion away or the new battery just releasing less gasses, but I do know that I'm happier that I don't have to clean the terminals every month. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

OP
MattP

MattP

Jedi Knight
OK it was the battery, but I don't feel like a complete idiot. I tested the specific gravity of the acid, and it came out good. But with a amp test, it was lacking. The problem was inside the battery, where the terminal wasn't making good enough contact anymore. That was why jumping didn't work any more. So I had a warranty repair on my 1977 MGB and I drove it to work tonight. Hooray!

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
woohoo! party on! glad to hear you got the situation resolved! :p