• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

oh crumbs! won't start! 79 midget

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
so i fixed the cigarette lighter with an original replacemetn and it works. also got the under dash/door light on the console above the radio which works to work. However, in removing the center console and pushing it sideways towards the steering wheel, the ignition will not turn, the yello dash and red dash light and radio now do not work. ugh! I turned the key and after 2 turns instead of only going 1/3 of the way over and cranking the engine, the key does a full 180degrees and sometimes if i wiggle the wires behind the steering column the lights will go on and the radio too. So...questions are:

1. How do i get the darn plastic housing off the steerign wheel to see inside. it's plastic and I am afraid to crack it as everything gets brittle with age
2. Do I need to replace the ignition or something behind it? And if so do i need new car keys?
3. Seems like I may have pulled the wires enough to pull them away from the ignition switch in the steering column. Probably so old that they did not like that very much but am willing to listen to advice at this point because my baby was a runner until an hour ago!

thanks!

Lou

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
The steering column cover is in two halves, there are deep recessed screws that go in from both sides. The secret to getting at them (if I recall right; it's been a few years!) is to take out the bolts that hold the column to the dash, and the column will drop enough to pull the screws and thread the cover around the stalks.

Sounds to me like you've just pulled a few connectors loose with the console. With the cover off and column down, it'll be pretty easy to see what's amiss. I predict the spinning ignition switch will be pretty easy too; a loose bolt maybe. I've never heard of one that just cut loose and started spinning internally. Cheers!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
There are 4 screws that hold the column surround together. The back two are very hard to see unless you stand on your head. There are 3 bolts that support the column to the underside of the dash. After you get the column surround off, undoing those bolts will allow the colum to drop down and you can get access to a lot of things.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
thanks I'll try tonigth and get back to you guys!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Don't force it apart. Those covers are tough to get. It will come loose if you have all of the screws out. And they are really long screws.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
And be sure you disconnect the battery before you start.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
We won't ask you how you know.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
There's a multi-wire connector between the switch and the wiring harness. I believe it connects under the dash to the left of the steering column. It could be that a wire pulled loose, or the connector came apart when the wires were strained.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
Rocking! I'll check. It seemed really close to rear of the column when i "wiggled dem wah-ers..."

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
worse than I thought. Well column came down no problem, got housing off (THANK YOU GUYS!!)..mine opened right up. Man was it filthy in there. GOod news: FOUND THE PROBLEM!! Bad news: need a new ignition key/module. The back of the housing pulled out and i did manage to find allof the springs, miniature ball bearings etc and get it just about back together then saw the plastic "lock" to hold the solder board down is broken. 35 year old plastic has a tendency to do this. Even though I got all the pieces, no matter how hard I squeezed it just would not click in and stay together. Anyone got a spare for sale? I am terrified to see how much Moos Motors is going to bang me for a new one of these!

Attachments

• WP_20130603_002.jpg
    WP_20130603_002.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20130603_003.jpg
    WP_20130603_003.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 52
  • WP_20130603_004.jpg
    WP_20130603_004.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 54
  • WP_20130603_005.jpg
    WP_20130603_005.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 53
  • WP_20130603_007.jpg
    WP_20130603_007.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 52
  • WP_20130603_015.jpg
    WP_20130603_015.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 53
OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
more pics

Attachments

• WP_20130603_016.jpg
    WP_20130603_016.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 50
  • WP_20130603_017.jpg
    WP_20130603_017.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 48
  • WP_20130603_019.jpg
    WP_20130603_019.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 49
OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
ack..this stinks..Moss motors has them as NOT AVAILABLE. Am I doomed??

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior