• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Top Cover On, won't go into first or second

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
While I had my engine out, I thought I'd freshen the seals in the transmission and cover. I got everything back together, I tested the top cover before installing and it shifted fine. Now that it's in the car, it won't shift into first or second. I took the cover off and I can move it into all gears by hand. The trouble is the cover I think. Reverse and the three four side is fine. What could cause this to not work now? Any suggestions or ideas?

Thanks,
Perry

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
It jams completely. Won't go out of neutral position. Even off the transmission. I am going to try to remove the internal balls and the shafts and see if I can correct it.

Perry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That was my guess : one of the shift interlock components (2 balls and a pin) fell out of place as you were assembling the top cover. The balls in particular can fall out into a cavity as you insert the associated shaft, so it's not obvious they are out of place. When you get it back together, be sure to check that the interlock is functional. Select each gear in turn, and verify that the other two rails are locked into neutral.

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That is what I think as well. However, I have 2 of the short rod type pieces. I assume they go into 3/4 shaft and 1/2 shaft with detent balls as well in between. I used grease to hold them in the shaft and hopefully they stay in place.

Perry

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ah, that must be the later type, with the neutral switch on the side. I forgot they added that extra pin. Sorry.

OP
gbtr6

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Yes, and it's an overdrive cover as well with a 3/4 switch on top. I spent an hour and a half last night with the cover on my lap and must have taken it apart and put it together 4 times. First, I had the spacer sleeves wrong. Then I had the forks wrong. Each time I had to completely disassemble it. I feel like Forest Gump now with an M-1. I feel I could do it blindfolded and in about 4 1/2 minutes. All working now. Before I was going to take a hammer to it. I had to walk away and do other things. And hopefully something I could accomplish successfully.

Perry