• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Won't start?

hootykie

Freshman Member
Hey guys, I am new to the forum so I thought the best place to start would be to seek your knowledge. I have a 1973 midget, all original except fuel pump. I got it from a friend. I was able to drive it when I bought it a couple of years ago but it has been setting for 2 years. Went to start it and drive it before I begin restoring it and it would turn over but not start. I found several problems, including bad fuel pump, clogged lines, and bad gas. I fixed those problems and was trying to start it when I discovered the points were stuck. Installed new points and went to start it and nothing happened. No lights or power of any kind. I can jump a hot wire to the white/red wire on the ignition switch and the car will now turn over. I guess my question is: Is my ignition switch gone bad or is there something I am overlooking? Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
From your description, I can't think of anything it could be except the switch. After all, if you jump it and it works, that should be about all anyone needs to know.

Good luck getting it running. How come it was sitting so long, poor thing? I imagine it pining away, just hoping for someone to take it out.

Country flag
Where in KY are you located?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
first off, welcome! you're in the right place. Have you checked your battery cable - especially at the connections. Sounds like you may have fried something other than the ignition switch - don't think you need the ignition on to have lights which causes me to suspect there is a break somewhere closer to the battery.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with JP here. Remove, check/clean battery terminals, the OTHER end of the battery ground wire, the "hot" lead to the soleniod and above all, the ground strap between chassis and gearbox/engine.

OP
H

hootykie

Freshman Member
This thing has got me pulling my hair out and I can't really afford that. I have checked all connections, cleaned all connections, and still nothing. It is like I don't even have a battery in the car. But I can still jump from the battery to the ignition wire (white/red) and the starter will then turn over. It doesn't make any sense to me but I suppose I will order a new ignition switch and see if that helps. Just hate to replace parts that may not need replacing. I would rather use that money for the things I do need. Any other thoughts?

Country flag
Did you check all the connections where the steering column "subharness" plugs into the main harness?

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I agree with Trevor on ignition switch connection. If the connections are loose or have failed then that's more than likely the issue. My switch died on me last year. With mine being a 74 it's an oddball connection from the switch to the wiring harness. It's a 5 port plug. Only switches available are bullet connection type and 7 port plug. I modified mine and made it a 5 port, but it does get loose from time to time. Recently discovered that a 5 port plug can be purchased from British Wiring.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Sorry, I should have read your initial posting more carefully. If you don't have lights or anything else, it's probably not the ignition switch. The switch doesn't control power to the headlights, if you have a separate light switch (unlike the Bugeye, for example). Again, if you've lost all power everywhere, something has come loose pretty close to where the power splits off from the battery. Also, the fact that it was working but stopped while you were working on something else means that the ignition switch is probably OK--seems unlikely that it just chose that minute to die.

If you have a generator and regulator, the dc power goes to the A terminal of the regulator and out the A1 to the rest of the car. Check these points with a test lamp (they are unswitched) and I'll be you'll find power on the A but not the A1. Then, see if you have power at the ignition switch and at the fuse holders. (Ummm....I'm assuming you checked the fuses!) It seems to me that it has to be one of these things--but the basic idea of all electrical troubleshooting is to start at the power source (i.e., battery) and go through the circuit with a test light or voltmeter, fanning out from the power source, until you find the point where you are losing the power. Eventually, you'll corner the problem like a scared rabbit.

Once you have found the point where you lost it, the rest should be obvious: replace or fix whatever is broken, tighten/clean any bad connections. A harness connection, as Trevor suggests, sounds likely to me as well.

Oh, and do a lot of wire-jiggling when you do this. This will help find loose connections.

OP
H

hootykie

Freshman Member
Thanks again fellas,
I think I will start over and start fresh checking everything with a fine tooth comb (test light, is all I have) when I get a chance and let you know the results. You have been very helpful and I appreciate it very much.

OP
H

hootykie

Freshman Member
Well I found the problem. Almost embaressed to tell you what I found. It seems when I was replacing the points I inadvertenly knocked off a wire at the regulator. I couldn't see it because of the air inlet tube. Anyway, all is well now and I look forward to being on the road again soon. Thanks for all your help.

jcatnite

Jedi Knight
Great, now get out there and enjoy the little machine before the good weather runs out. Glad you found it.
JC

OP
H

hootykie

Freshman Member
Well, I got to drive the little bugger for a couple of days(Geez, I love this thang). Now I am going to replace the dash. It has a big chunk out on the pass side. I sure hope I don't mess something else up. I got a wiring diagram so hopefully in a few days we will be back on the road (at least in the afteroons). Depending on how she does I might make it my daily driver, with gas prices the way they are.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I might make it my daily driver, with gas prices the way they are[/QUOTE]

I hear that... Besides it gives you something to look forward to before & after work!