• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT 1971 MGB GT Won't Start

WillAtkinson

Freshman Member
Hi Guys,

I'm a new member and I just bought a '71 GT with stock engine and SU carbs. I bought it off eBay and had it delivered.
They couldn't bring the truck into my neighborhood, so the guy dropped it off about half a mile from my house.

When it came off, the car started right up and idled fine, but as I tried to drive home it wouldn't take any throttle without bogging or sputtering.

It eventually died and I think it was actually just out of gas, or very near it.

But, I have put fresh gas in and it won't start. It cranks fine, but never catches. I took the air cleaners off and tried to clean up the inlets of the carbs. I spreayed some starter fluid in there and the car fired up right away but only ran for a second because the fluid ran out.

So, I pulled the covers off the float bowls and there is just a little fuel at the bottom.

I pulled the fuel line off the fuel filter on the driver's side fender and cranked the car and no fuel came out. So, I pulled it off the other side and cranked again and no fuel came out.

I can hear the fuel pump clicking when the key is in the 'on' position, but I'm not getting any fuel.

I'm new to MGs and carbs, so can someone give me a place to start to figure out why there would be no fuel getting to the carbs?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Will Atkinson
Fort Worth, TX

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
most likely your fuel line is clogged. If the the car had been sitting, it is very likely that the fuel has jelled and is blocking the intake. My experience is with MG Midgets but, assuming you have a mechanical fuel pump, you could get a piece of fuel line, run it to a gas can and hook it up to the fuel pump and see what happens. Alternately, you may need to disconnect the fuel line a section at a time to see if it is clear.

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
Welcome to the forum Will,
No fuel to the carbs...Now do not mess with the carbs. If the fuel pump is ticking its probably a clogged fuel filter or more than likely a loose connection or split fuel hose on the suction side of the pump. Some of the cheapo aftermarket pumps tick but do not pump fuel. If its a aftermarket pump then it may also be your problem. Good luck. Bob

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
If you feel OK doing this try disconnecting the fuel line from each of it's connections, working your way towards the pump. This will help you find the clog if there is one. You can work your way forward too and that will at least determine if the pump is actually pumping. Cheap pumps are a common replacements and are problematic and a picture of what you have will will help determine it. Depending on what the PO told you and what you see, I'd at least replace the rubber fuel lines and filters.

Welcome to the forum and please let us know how you are doing with it.

Cheers
Vince

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Welcome aboard, Will!!

As suggested, start with fuel supply first (i.e.-- Don't go lookin' fer trouble :wink: ), using a pint container at the carb fuel <span style="font-style: italic">supply line</span>. Have a second set of hands turn the key to the first position and wait to see if fuel is actually being delivered. You could be experiencing float needles stuck (creating the empty bowls and foolin' you into thinking the pump has an issue). Bob has suggested checking the tank-to-pump line and THAT is an invaluable piece of advice, too.... if it's suckin' air there you could spend DAYS and half a fortune looking for/solving the wrong problem. And it's simple enuff to just change it out and be certain.

Quantify the pump; is it an SU or aftermarket one? Usually if it's an SU and it continuously ticks, it isn't building pressure twixt pump and carbs... that goes to Bob's advice re: tank to pump line, or a clogged suction side in/from tank. Pump diaphragm deterioration is a possibility but rather unlikely. If you decide to replace the pump, the Facet LOW PRESSURE one works fine on these cars. The float needles don't like anything over about 3.5 PSI.

Report back as to fuel flow at the carbs and we'll all be ready to jump on 'next phase' procedures, too. :laugh:

Sounds like you have a good start to a great car, BTW. If it ran okay before the fuel delivery issue, you'll be good to go shortly!

...and again, welcome!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
One thought before anything else is to try starting with the gas cap off - there is a small chance you have a non vented cap and there is a vacuum in the tank

and welcome

OP
W

WillAtkinson

Freshman Member
Well, after a saturday teaching teen driving safety, (www.streetsurvival.org) I am back at it. I pulled the fuel line coming out of the tank and it was pretty much dry. Ditto the line going into the pump.

I pulled the fuel level sender cover and looked into the tank, it has some corrosion, but not a lot. I drained some fuel (I added 5 fresh gallons the other day) and it all came out nice and clear. There is very little debris in the fuel, seemingly not enough to cause a clog.

Is there a way to check the fuel pickup in the tank? I can't seem to access it.

With the key in the 'on' position the fuel pump clicks steadily and rapidly now. I took off the line going into the pump and held my finger over the inlet to the pump and didn't feel any suction. It seems like the pump is likely bad at this point, am I right?

I looked all over the pump and can't find any markings, but it does not appear to be terribly old, so it's quite possible that it is a cheap aftermarket one.

None of the hard lines appear to be crushed or crimped and the rubber lines are in presentable shape.

Is there a way to check the tank for clogging that I didn't try?

I took some pictures of the setup under there, it all seems in order to me, but I can't tell if this is a stock fuel pump or not;
https://picasaweb.google.com/WillShoots/MGBGT#

Assuming the fuel pump is likely the issue, what brands are acceptable as replacements? Are the FACET low pressure pumps available in parts stores, or only online?

Thanks!

Will

OP
W

WillAtkinson

Freshman Member
Update, I pulled the flexible line coming out of the pump and turned the key on. The pump does work, so the hard line that runs the length of the underside of the car must be clogged.

Is there a good way to unclog a hard line like that, or is it best just to replace? If it needs to be replaced, where's the best place to get one?

I'm still interested in replacing the pump because it is still ticking, but it pumped out about 6 oz of fuel in about 10-15 seconds, so it seems to be working okay.

Thanks,

Will

OP
W

WillAtkinson

Freshman Member
Final update, I got it running!

The fuel line under the car was plugged, but I cleared the blockage by putting carb cleaner down the line and letting it sit. Once I let it sit I pulled the line off the filter on the front fender and turned the car on. It pumped fuel, so I let about 4 oz. come out.

I rehooked the lines and it fired right up and it runs fine.

The idle is a bit high between gears, almost like the throttle is sticking, but overall it runs great and I'm just enjoying being able to drive it.

Thanks for all your help!

Will

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
woo hoo - of course now you have time to post pictures

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
That is a stock pump. It is supposed to tick. If it doesn't tick then you're in trouble. IMHO it is generally better to stick with the stock pump than to buy a Facet. There is someone on the forum who rebuilds them and converts them to solid state for a reasonable price. The conversion takes care of the main reliability issue with the pump (burned points). However, if things are working fine like that just let it be would be my recommendation. If the points start going south you'll know it because the pump will fail to tick unless whacked with a mallet.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
davester said:
However, if things are working fine like that just let it be would be my recommendation. If the points start going south you'll know it because the pump will fail to tick unless whacked with a mallet.

Yup!

Dave DuBois is the guy here who converts 'em, too.

But again: No need to go lookin' fer trouble. :thumbsup: