• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

1971 Citroen DS-21

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Wow - if I didn't live on the east coast, you and I would be slugging it out on this one. That car has great potential, but there are idiosyncrasies which are a bit challenging. Pneumatics are a good example.

Anyway, best of luck. The DS ("goddess") was always in my list of cars to have.
Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
My first car was a DS19 Wagon - I still miss it and probably the only car I would trade the Midget for.

cwdubya

I've mentioned in other threads about how my dad used to race an MG in the 1950s and 1960s, and I do love the little British sports cars, but the first car that I said "wow!" to myself when seeing it out in the wild was a silver Citroen DS, similar to the one linked, but I believe it was 1960s since it seems to have some of the earlier touches. I saw it parked at a local university last summer, and I've driven by periodically (which I assume it's parked in a nice warm garage for the winter) to see if I could catch the owner via a note on the windshield to talk to him about it. Not to see if he was selling, just to get the owner's experience. So I've got the note all written up, but the only time I've seen it again was pulling out of the grocery store and I was turning. They're wonderfully unique and gorgeous, but they'd occupy a different spot in the garage than a prospective TR3 or MGA purchase. I'll keep you posted to see if I can get in touch via the listing. I didn't want to bug him on Christmas, but I've found that if you spot something on Craigslist, you have to be quick on the draw, or you lose out.

AngliaGT

Yoda
Silver
I think that I'd run this by people in a DS discussion group.
They could tell you what to look out for.
You might want to also see if the local DS owner would go
with you to look it over,& get a second opinion.Try & not let emotions
make the decision for you.Ask me how I know that.

cwdubya

For sure! And that's why I wanted to link up with him- just hasn't happened yet. It's not throw away money for me, so if I do get a chance to look, I want it to be in pretty decent nick, or at least reasonably repairable condition, compared to the other stuff I've seen that I've passed on. I've looked at a MB, a Renault, and a few others that were in various states of disrepair. Do you have a recommended forum or discussion group?

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
A little plug for an old friend. Dave Burnham of Delanson NY has one of the only Citroen repair shops on the east coast. Google him, he's been repairing Citroen for almost 40 years. If Citroen is your car of choice you will soon be on a first name basis with Dave. Bob C

PAUL161

Yoda
Silver
I like the cars but know very little about them other than being told they have the most expensive suspension system to rebuild of any production vehicle. PJ

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Never had a DS, but I had a CX, a couple of GSs and a GSA which of course had the same hydraulic suspension/brakes setup. Wonderful cars, reliable and easy to maintain despite their reputation. Once a car is set up right it's easy to keep that way, the biggest enemy is rust.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Had a friend in Sarasota who restored one, then drove it to a DS "clan gathering" up in Maine and back. About a 4K-mile trip, all he stopped for was sleep and fuel. I'm no fan of French manufactured cars, but have to admit I was surprised and impressed. I believe the level of my friend's workmanship contributed to his successful trip.

AngliaGT

Yoda
Silver
Thanks to French car owners,we Midget drivers
have someone to look down on!

cwdubya

Well, the search continues, this one didn't work out. It is an interesting type of car, however! Thanks all, for your input, information, and help :smile: