• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1971 MGB...The Project begins!

GaryBeu

Banned
My wife Carla and I just bought our first project...a 1971 MGB that's been sitting in a garage since 1991. We hope the $1,000.00 price wasn't too much to pay. We took some "as purchased" photos and I'll try to upload them. I'm sure we'll have PLENTY of questions!

Gary and Carla

ps. Well, I can't figure out how to upload a photo!! Will someone explain it to me? Guess I'm computer illiterate :blush:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Tony. I'll check it out. Also. I checked the FAQ for how to add photos to my post but don't see a "File Manager" link anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Gary

davester

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There may be a way to upload a photo onto this forum but I don't know what it is. Instead, just get yourself a free account at photobucket, upload the picture there (easy peasy), copy the url of the uploaded image, then go to the "full reply screen" when posting back here and select the "image" icon. That will install a link to your photobucket-hosted image file in your post.

I'd say $1,000 would be good if you got a complete, mostly rust-free car. You will get lots of good advice here. A couple of other good sites for info:

https://www.mgexperience.net/library.php
https://www.mgbmga.com/tech/index.html

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Dave...thanks for the site links. We'll keep eveyone posted on progress.

Car is mostly rust free except the floor pans a rusted out. We're keeping our fingers crossed.

Think I figured out photo upload...here goes a try!

Gary
Didn't work...I'l try setting up photobucket

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
To add a photo click "Reply" make your post, & then at the bottom you'll find a "File Manager" where you can browse your computer to add photos.......somewhere on the site are better instructions.

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
if you need the photos hosted shoot me an email and I'll put them on the web for you.

Good luck on your project your going to have a ton of fun. One word of advice if you do drive the car without fixing the floors make sure everything is secure as its not fun watching all your stuff decide to run the stop sign when you decided to obey it. :jester:

bob67bgt

Jedi Knight
When posting a pic after the topic has started i switch to "full screen reply" at the bottom. Thats where you will find the file manager. I think i comes up to that screen after you hit submit also using the quick reply. I have to set my camera to normal and not extra fine or the pics will need to be resized for them to be accepted. It took me a bunch of tries before i got it. Have fun with the MGB project and we'll keep you straight with any questions you have. Bob

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Here's a suggestion:

Go Here......

https://photobucket.com/

......and click on the "Help" section in the upper right.

Once you upload a photo to Photobucket, each photo will have an "address". You just need to type in that address in you message and we can click on it to view the picture (you can get more fancy with this later).

Here's some samples of "photo adresses":

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/mgb/mgb-cran-lk-fall08-1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/mgb/mgb-cran-lake-fall-08-1.jpg

https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v170/aeronca65t/mgb/mgb-fall08-1.jpg

By the way, my MGB (links above) sat in a a garage for 10+ years. I paid a little less than you but close. The body was perfect but brakes, top and a few other items needed doing. It ran but I dropped the oil pan and did rings, bearings and valves just to be sure.
Runs great and turned out to be a fun toy. There's still a few minor things I'd like to do with it, but I am enjoying it with our excellent Fall weather.
G'luck with your's!

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Hope these images work...

MGBRebuild003.jpg

MGBRebuild004.jpg

MGBRebuild015.jpg

MGBRebuild008.jpg

MGBRebuild012.jpg

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
HOLY SMOKES!!! I thought I was just putting in links to Photobucket. I didn't expect the actual photos to show up. Guess I did something sorta wrong but, oh well.

Gary
ps. These were taken the day we got the car home.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
You linked!!!

...No worries. It's a good thing. :laugh:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looks like a good project car.....go over the body with a magnet - check close for rust.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
There are definitely rust areas but the worst seems to be the floor pans. Car had a good undercoat that seems to have worked pretty well. We have a lot of learning to do such as replacing floor pans...hope the "Workshop Manual" helps with that!

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Floors are easy...if that's your only problem, we can walk you through replacing them without welding.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Wow Tony...that would be INCREDIBLE!! When I'm ready (after I see if I can get it to run) I'll contact you about it. Thanks.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, you can use this to help get it running: https://www.theautoist.com/CHECKLIST.HTM....you don't have to do all of it - or in the order its listed (that's just how I do it)...but, it'll prompt you of what to check.

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
Thanks Tony. I printed it off your website a few days ago. It should really help!

OP
G

GaryBeu

Banned
So guys (and gals??)...I'm waiting to receive my ordered shop manual so don't know the answer to this. Looks like this '71 MGB originally had two 6 volt batteries. There is no battery in it but the two black leads are hooked and taped together and the one red lead goes to ground. Can I put a 12 volt battery in and hook Positive to the ground? Thanks.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
An "R-26" case will fit the hole and allow you to use one 12V.