• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Weber or dual SUs?

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Need some input.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
JB, why all the complexity when a pair of SU's will out perform a Webber and you can tune them in the backyard.---Fwiw---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Because I'm anal like that!

I thrive on complexity! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

(but I think you're right keoke)

usasma

Jedi Trainee
I got the impression, while reading Peter Burgess' book (Power Tuning the MGB) that he favors the SU's for everything but racing. I've gotta go with him! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Had SU's on my TD. Had to constantly tweak them. Tuned the Weber DVA on the "B" once and now just enjoy the trip!

Guinn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Oh sure guinn, you have to be different! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Saying SU's are complex is a bunch of crap. It's one of the most simplist carbs I've worked on. Plus they are very well matched to a MGB engine. Sure worn out SU's can be a pain to tune, and you have to consider most are 35 years old. But SU's in good shape and properly tuned will give you years of enjoyment. Set them and don't mess with them. Plus they just look right on a MGB engine. I think the Weber makes it look like a tractor motor!

Steve_S

Yoda
Nothing wrong with SUs except that some of them are 25-40 years old and worn out. Put a properly rebuilt set on your car, adjust them right and don't touch them again for a year or more.

I adjust the SUs on my '65 about once per year and they are not often needing adjustment. It's been nearly a year since I bought my GT and I haven't had to touch the SUs yet, still perfect. No telling how long it's been since the previous owner adjusted them either.

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
Well, that was back in 1953 and I didn't know beans about SU's. That might have been a bit of the problem I was having with them! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
Guinn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Having owned both and driven a few many more, I would without a doubt go with the dual SU's. Better performance and reliability...set 'em and forget 'em! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

John Moore

Luke Skywalker
Guinn,

I think that's why SU's get a hard knock, they are VERY different from American Carbs and are generally misunderstood. Aside from the dual linkage, they are a VERY simple carb and if kept in good running order are great for the MGB engine. I think they still get a hard knock these days for the same reason, but also because people fiddle with their 35 year old worn out carbs and get frustrated with them. They are impossible to properly tune if worn out. They then put on a BRAND NEW Weber and of course are immediately impressed. I'm sure if they put on rebuilt or new SU's they would get the same or better result.

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I have also driven both. For years I DETESTED dual SUs. I much preferred the weber which was even easier to set initially. However, the weber has its own issues like stumble on take off. It wasn't until I did an intensive rebuild on a pair of SUs to make a perfectly refurbed matched set. In my opinion they were still a pain to adjust but they are VERY simple carbs and they work very well. I intend to eventually rebuild another set for myself (that first rebuild set was for my mother). So I voted for SUs but I can't stress enough the importance of having a well rebuilt set.

JACK

ICESWH

When i purchased my '80B about 4 years ago it had a weber installed by the po. Within the first week I had my MG guy put on a new set of HS4 SU's. It was worth every penny.The weber was horrible. So much hesitation pulling out. With the SU's, my car has much more power, runs nicer, and looks like it should (if it was a 60's model) when the hood is opened.A new set of SU's with a header? You won't believe the difference.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I assume most of you are using the DGV 32/36 or the DCOE Weber carbs when comparing to the preformance of a set of SUs. Any of you have any experience with the DGS 38/38? Unlike the 32/36 DGV, the 38/38 DGS operates both barrels synchronously so in theory it ought to perform on or very near to the same level as a pair of SUs.

Curiousity beckons the question for me, as I'm stuck with the stock ZS until either: A) I can afford the EFI system from Moss, or B) California changes the vehicle age restrictions on their SMOG testing requirements.

Bret

Yoda
[ QUOTE ]
Curiousity beckons the question for me, as I'm stuck with the stock ZS until either: A) I can afford the EFI system from Moss, or B) California changes the vehicle age restrictions on their SMOG testing requirements.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would much prefer the duel SUs with a mild to fast street cam. But if I was going to go crazy & really build up the engine, I'd go with a side draft Weber.

But alas like you Nunyas - living in the Nanny-insh People's Republic of Kalifornia, I too am restricted to the ZS setup.

Starting to get a little annoyed with Moss taking so long with the EFI kit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Guinn

Jedi Warrior
OK, OK, I feel out voted. Now you make me yearn for a set of SU,s just to feel the difference! Anyone feel like contributing? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

Guinn

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I like my DCOE, but would probably not switch over to it if I already had good SUs. I'd prefer either to the 32/36 or 38/38 Weber. If I was switching from a ZS, I imaging cost would be a deciding factor for me. I don't have the fear of the DCOE that a lot of folks do that have never used one The SUs are simpler to set up, but once the DCOE is tuned you'll probably never have to touch it. Of course, that initial tuning can be time consuming or expensive. One of the posters on another board installed a Japanese Weber clone called the OER. Looks just like a DCOE. His experience right out of the box was good - but a broken idle jet had his "mechanic" baffled for a while (the rear two cylinders weren't getting fuel). I suspect the mechanic is more to blame than the carb, since that should have been the first place he looked...instead of the last....

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I went through this a while back and ended up deciding on the weber 38 with a mild cam and while I would have loved to have gone with the Su's finding a set that was in good condition was tough and a new set was just down right cost prohibitive for me. While I havent had a chance to try it on the road yet first impression has been good as it starts on the first or second rotation of the engine every time.

Radford

Jedi Knight
Ran the Weber on my Midget years ago while waiting to find the right SU's. It might not be exactly the same, but I'd advise finding good (or new) SU's.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
I've decided on the SUs. I can get a set rebuilt, tested, manifold and header for $550. Fair price?