• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Triumph TR6 Triple Weber carbs

alanroberts

Freshman Member
Hey everybody, Im about 75% finish on my rebuild of my 69 TR6 and after totally rebuilding and upgrading the engine I thinking on putting a set of Triple Webbers on it! What do you guys think? other than extra HP how do hey run? in traffic, idle, MPG?

Also does anyone have a used set any condition that want to sell me? Thanks
Alan

Country flag
Alan
I had a set a few years ago. Car would go like a rocket but never was smooth or easy to drive in town. I wouldn't recommend them. Maybe triple Strombergs.

Marv

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
What have you done to the engine in terms of cam, pistons and compression that make you think you need more fuel than the 2 ZS carbs can supply ?

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The webers work great on the TR6. Contrary to popular belief, they don't produce a huge power gain over the stock setup. They can be made to run, idle and start etc as easy as 2 stock Stromburgs. The trick is to learn how to tune, jet, and adjust them. Plus they look awesome. Here was the set up I had on my 6.

7656354492_a5758451d2.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It's a bit of "carb overkill" but they can be made to run smoothly if you're willing to take everything you know about SU's, Strommies, Carters and Holleys and <span style="font-style: italic">forget it</span>. :wink:

Good places to start are the Classic Motorbooks publications (out of print but available on-line). It can be a maddening experience but rewarding when you do finally <span style="font-style: italic">grok</span> the things. Much money can be spent on various jets, chokes and kits, BTW.

If you want a challenge and have patience and cash, go for it! If ya just want to drive the car soon, stay with the demand carbs. As Luke noted, there isn't a big performance gain. Just the "WOW Factor" when the bonnet is up.

...That said, ALL the cars in my .sig file are Weber'd up with DCOE's except Diesela.
If I could figger out how to shove kerosene thru 'em she'd be rigged as well. :jester:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
Hey Alan
I have the 40 DCOE setup on my TR6 and I love them, finally after getting the jetting really close to right, I got some leaner idle jets to put in this weekend, and yes you can spend a bunch of cash on jets, but once I get mine set I wont need all my jets and I will make you a sweet deal on everything, plus you can buy a set of micro drill bits in MM and just drill them out, and once you get them right purchase the set that will have the correct numbers on them. I don't know what you have done to your engine and it will make a difference on jets,My engine is soo far from stock, I doubt my set up will work on your car, mainly the idle jet and progression circuit is the hard part. Webers mainly run on the Idle and progression curcuits. the Main jet and air correct jets only are a factor above 3000 RPM. you can read terry anns triumph page its a big help in tuning webers. The jetting that comes in Webers and set up for a TR6 engine is close but will need tweeking. you definately need 40DCOE and 30 MM chokes, maybe even 28MM chokes. That will stop you from having the flat spot off idle that most people have with webers. Actually I had more trouble with the stromburgs, the dash pot oil leaked out into the manifold, and running rich, and the linkage, even after I had them rebuilt, thats why I took them off and went to webers. Plus the weber manifold is a straight shot into the cylinder head.
any questions you can PM me

Hondo

TR6_guy

Freshman Member
Hi Hondo

I'm new to this forum. I see that you posted this article some years back but perhaps you're still active. I purchased a second hand set of 40 DCOE and am experiencing that flat spot right off idle exactly as you mentioned. Would you be able to direct me to some good reference sites that could assist me with tuning them right?

thanks!!

Simmo

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hey Alan
I have the 40 DCOE setup on my TR6 and I love them, finally after getting the jetting really close to right, I got some leaner idle jets to put in this weekend, and yes you can spend a bunch of cash on jets, but once I get mine set I wont need all my jets and I will make you a sweet deal on everything, plus you can buy a set of micro drill bits in MM and just drill them out, and once you get them right purchase the set that will have the correct numbers on them. I don't know what you have done to your engine and it will make a difference on jets,My engine is soo far from stock, I doubt my set up will work on your car, mainly the idle jet and progression circuit is the hard part. Webers mainly run on the Idle and progression curcuits. the Main jet and air correct jets only are a factor above 3000 RPM. you can read terry anns triumph page its a big help in tuning webers. The jetting that comes in Webers and set up for a TR6 engine is close but will need tweeking. you definately need 40DCOE and 30 MM chokes, maybe even 28MM chokes. That will stop you from having the flat spot off idle that most people have with webers. Actually I had more trouble with the stromburgs, the dash pot oil leaked out into the manifold, and running rich, and the linkage, even after I had them rebuilt, thats why I took them off and went to webers. Plus the weber manifold is a straight shot into the cylinder head.
any questions you can PM me

Hondo
Hi, I have a set of 40's on my TR6. The engine is very well worked over and the Webers work just fine, only run fairly rich. I bought them from Moss CA and have not altered the jets that they supplied. Can you tell me what jets you have settled on which may give me a point to start fiddling. Regards Ian (Australia)

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Like poolboy and malbaby asked, what have you done to the engine?

Here's a little bit of stuff for your reading pleasure with respect to DCOEs and fitment to Triumphs. The low profile velocity stacks mentioned are tough to find these days. I bought mine from APT several years ago, they were sold under part number WSS40-16 but I don't see that number in their inventory now. If you go the triple DCOE route, you might contact them and see if they still have them or can point you in the right direction.:

http://triumph.hottr6.com/tr6weber.html

https://aptfast.com/

TeriAnn's page that hondo mentions has either moved or my bookmark was corrupted over time. Here's what was found when I went digging. From hondo's post, all you'll probably find in new 40 DCOE is 30 mm chokes. My recommendation for street use is a 28 mm choke so add six of those into your "get the set up right" budget:

http://tr3a.info/

Paul Tegler (Teglerizer) has some good information on DCOEs as well. There used to be a handy little jet and venturi calculator that looks like it was modeled from the John Passini books but it was set up for 8 bit computing and doesn’t work on newer computers. I have an old obsolete computer that I keep around just so I can run that calculator when the need or desire comes around.

http://www.teglerizer.com/dcoe/

That should keep you busy for a while and give you some stuff to think about.