• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Which Weber DGV is the right one.

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have had many British cars, but never one with a Weber on it. The '77 B I just bought has one, a down draft DGV. It is fouled up from old gas and never changing the filter. In looking for a new one, I see many on Amazon, but I don't know what I should be looking for. I am told that the electric choke is the way to go. I have the manifold for the down draft that can be reused. If anyone can tell me which Weber I should order I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
Charlie

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If you just want to replace the Weber, the 32/36 DGEV is the one you want.

However, check into swapping out manifolds and going with twin SU's. It'll cost more, but will open the 1800 up.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Mickey! I thought I would try using/having a Weber just to round out my LBC experiences. I have the SUs on my MGA and they are doing a great job. I have two extra B carbs on the shelf so I can just find a manifold and linkage at any time to convert the fuel system. I see the 32/36 DGEVs on Amazon, but they don't say which configuration is for the B. That is the direction I am hoping the Forum can guide me in.
Charlie

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
By the way the DGV on the B now has a manual choke, but I'd like to get away from that.
I believe the DGEV is simply a DGV with manual choke. The only variables would be the jets, which are available in kits. I've never used a Weber on a B, so don't know the proper sizes; maybe someone else will chime in with their numbers.

And be sure the DGEV from Amazon is a Weber and not a knockoff - lots of those listed.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, if you do go with SU's, you'll also need to swap out the exhaust manifold.

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
True. Mickey, my confusion comes from lack of knowledge and the different configurations I see listed for the Weber on Amazon, Ebay and other sites. The Weber on my car must be an old one because the new ones seem to have fittings in different places. I think I'll just wait for a friend of mine to get back from his summer travels at the end of this month. He has rebuilt Webers and can give me some insight on what I'm trying to accomplish. I think your suggestion of going to SU's is probably going to be the best option. I am familiar with those.

I did see the knockoffs and wondered about them. It's always the best choice to go with the original if possible.

Charlie

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I believe the DGEV is simply a DGV with manual choke. The only variables would be the jets, which are available in kits. I've never used a Weber on a B, so don't know the proper sizes; maybe someone else will chime in with their numbers.

And be sure the DGEV from Amazon is a Weber and not a knockoff - lots of those listed.

Oh, and if I'm not mistaken, if you do go with SU's, you'll also need to swap out the exhaust manifold.

There are times when you don't have to replace the exhaust manifold when going to SUs, - it depends on how well it lines up with the original faqctory style intake the SUs use. If the thick washers that bridge between the intake and exhaust are perfectly parallel to the face of the head, then its fine. If the exaust manifold is thinner or thicker than the SU intake, then you have to either swap it out or modify it.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
At one time, one could buy 2 stage flat washers of different thicknesses to make up the different thicknesses of the manifold flanges and keep everything in its proper perspective. I've made a couple of sets. PJ

YakkoWarner

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
At one time, one could buy 2 stage flat washers of different thicknesses to make up the different thicknesses of the manifold flanges and keep everything in its proper perspective. I've made a couple of sets. PJ

I hadn't seen those. I have had a 3rd party header that had small squares of steel stock welded to the flanges to make up the difference in thickness, that worked well.

zykcon

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Hi Mickey,

if you are looking to purchase a new Weber DVG 32/36 5A manual choke,I would not suggest buying the ones I have seen on Amazon. What you are looking for is one made in Spain, these are the “real ones”. I recommend Pierce Manifolds, or Redline Weber. I would also suggest changing the choke cable, which are available from Moss, Rimmer Bros. Etc.

I rebuilt mine with great results, so if you decide to rebuild I recommend the more comprehensive re build kit. Also there are very good service centers who could do it for, All State Carburetor in NY is one.

cheers
Mitch

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Mitch, where is the best place to buy the rebuild kits? I had the car running today, but only with the choke pulled all the way out. It ran at just under 2K rpm until I shut it off. If I push the choke in, the motor stops running.
Thanks,
Charlie

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The DGV family is a progressive two barrel carb with three primary subsets, the DGV with manual choke, the DGAV with a water choke and the DGEV with an electrical choke.

What you run into these days is a limited number of Weber models within any of the basic families. There used to be many different DCOE, DGxV, IDF, etc models available within those families but now it is down to just one or two within a given size within those families so tuning a newly purchased Weber is a bit trickier. Seeing that the DGEV model currently listed in the various Redline MG conversion kits is the same for everything from the early 1500 MGAs and 1500 Spitfires (Triumph engines) to the 1800 cc variations on the BMC "B" seried engines used in the MGB, I would not be surprised if a little jet swapping around wouldn't be in order. At least it's not like say a DCOE where ventiris get tossed into the mix as well.

In addition to the Redline and Pierce mentioned above, I would also throw Pegasus Racing into the mix for new carbs and/or parts. It will be important that whoever you deal with have someone on staff that can help you out with questions on set up and jetting suggestions based on the exact carb model that you have if rebuilding or if fitting new any possible jetting changes that might be in order based upon your specific vehicle application and altitude.

Best wishes on the task at hand

OP
C

Coastalman

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Great information Tybalt! Thanks for it. I went to the Redline website over the weekend and thought I might give them a call. Now I can add Pegasus into my information gathering.

Charlie

zykcon

Freshman Member
Bronze
Country flag
Mitch, where is the best place to buy the rebuild kits? I had the car running today, but only with the choke pulled all the way out. It ran at just under 2K rpm until I shut it off. If I push the choke in, the motor stops running.
Thanks,
Charlie
Pierce Manifolds, and Pegasus .Not only do they have parts you might need that are not in kits. Also looking at the individual parts on their websites gives you an idea of what a new part looks, opposed to what may be a damage part.