• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB VIN dating on 67 MGB

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I just bought a 67 MGB with VIN GHN3L 86317. It looks to be stock. Can anybody tell me what year it was built? From the Moss catalog it looks like it was built in 66. Its a roadster, runs and drives around the parking lot . I paid $500 for it. thx. Kevin

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Unfortunately I'm out of town until Friday and can't get to my reference books. If no one chimes in before then I'll look it up. Clausager's "Original MGB" is a useful reference for these cars.

A running car for $500, good deal! How bad is the body? Any pictures?

OP
Brinkerhoff

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I'll take some pictures and see if I can load them to the site. It has typical rust in the floors and sills but the door gaps are still great and it hasn't been hit anywhere thats affected its function. The engine sounds good , no o.d. but who's picky? Its a restorable MG. Solid disc wheels. Kevin

D

Deleted member 8987

1st digit= Make
G- MG

2nd digit= Engine Type
H- BMC B-Series engine, 1.8L (MGB)
A- BMC A-Series engine (Midget)

3rd digit= Body Type
N- 2 seated Roadster
D- GT or Coupe

4th digit= Series
3- Mk1 (1962-1967)
4- Mk2 (1968-1969)
5- Mk3 (1970-1979)

5th digit= Market
U-USA Left-hand drive
L-Left-hand drive
R-Right-hand drive

6th digit=year
Model Year
None-1968-69
A-1969-70
B-1971
C-1972
D-1973
E-1974
F-1975
G-1976
H-1977
J-1978
L-1979
7th digits= Car Number

Makes yours a:

MGB, "B" series 1800 engine, 2-seat roadster, Mk1 (1962-1967), Left-hand drive, but where you have a blank in your VIN, should be another letter indicating actual year, or, if none, 68-69.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Brinkerhoff said:
I just bought a 67 MGB with VIN GHN3L 86317.
Looked up your VIN in the "Original MGB" book and that number makes it built in the first half of 1966. Nice find!

OP
Brinkerhoff

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Thanks Drew. I'm an addict and will buy anything old and British that comes my way. This one is a little different than others I've had , in that the ignition switch is not on the dash, its a lockable type on the steering column. The vin tag is a little different also but the number is quite legible. I wonder if it was not exported to another country originally? I don't have the "Original MGB". I've got "Original MGA, E type, Healey" but no MGB. Kevin

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Kevin -

Just checked Clausager's book. Looks like it's an early model from one of the European countries that required a lock on the column. Is it a steel dash? If so, and it was a car that went to one of those countries, there should be a hole in the dash with a plug where the ignition switch would have been.

This is all news to me - pretty neat car, if that's what it is.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very cool find, Kevin. See if you can pick up a copy of that book, it's very handy to see what would be correct for your car (I find such things interesting). My MGB is a UK home market (RHD) car, and I found it fun to figure out little unique things that it has.

The Heritage certificate could very well tell you where it was originally imported to.

OP
Brinkerhoff

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
I saw the car sitting on a car dolly . The po said he was taking it to the scrapyard where they were going to give him $175 for it. He'd taken it to a local shop to have the brakes fixed ( pedal needs to be pumped)but they told him the unibody was rusted out and the car was unsafe to drive ! You gotta love it ! Being the shrewd negotiator I am , I offered $500 for it if he'd deliver it across town and leave the new tires on it.