• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN7/BN8 VIN search

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I previously asked if the AH VIN for a BN7/BJ8 appears anyplace other than on the firewall (sorry for U.S. reference) plate. I just noted that last month Randy Forbes mentioned a number stamped on the car's RF shock platform that would enable an owner to obtain a BMIHT certificate indicating the original VIN. I gather that the shock platform number is not a VIN. I have a car with a current title issued in another state bearing a VIN, but need a verification to obtain a title in Florida. If this idea is doable, how do I get in touch with BMIHT? I could also used a more precise ID on the number's location. Thanks.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As I stated previously, only BJ8s have the original VIN stamped into the right front shock absorber mounting tower. If your car is not a BJ8, then it won't have the number there. There are other numbers on the shock tower, but they can't be used to determine the VIN.

You can get a BMIHT certificate here, but if you are not sure what the actual VIN of the car is, then the data you get with the certificate may not be the original data for your car:

https://www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/store/heritage-certificates-and-archive-services/heritage-certificates.html

If I can figure out how to post pictures here, I'll post a picture of a BJ8 shock tower VIN and the other number that can't be used to determine the VIN.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If this works, then you should see some photo examples of the VIN stamped into the right front shock absorber mounting tower for BJ8s. As far as I know, the VIN isn't stamped here on other models.

There is another number on the shock tower, visible looking down on the front surface of the shock tower from the engine bay. The photo should illustrate where the number is (the bright spot). This number is on other models as well as the BJ8, but it cannot be used to determine the original VIN of the car. John Thompson Motor Pressing manufactured the frames and sent them to Jensen Motors for construction of the chassis. I do not know whether John Thompson or Jensen stamped the number here. It was significant to their production, but no cross-reference exists, so far as I know, to allow the number to be used to identify the VIN.

Attachments

• 30020 LABELED.jpg
    30020 LABELED.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 111
  • View with wheel off.jpg
    View with wheel off.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 104
  • 40928 - shock VIN (closeup).JPG
    40928 - shock VIN (closeup).JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 114
  • Number top of shock tower.jpg
    Number top of shock tower.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 105

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If this works, then you should see some photo examples of the VIN stamped into the right front shock absorber mounting tower for BJ8s. As far as I know, the VIN isn't stamped here on other models.

There is another number on the shock tower, visible looking down on the front surface of the shock tower from the engine bay. The photo should illustrate where the number is (the bright spot). This number is on other models as well as the BJ8, but it cannot be used to determine the original VIN of the car. John Thompson Motor Pressing manufactured the frames and sent them to Jensen Motors for construction of the chassis. I do not know whether John Thompson or Jensen stamped the number here. It was significant to their production, but no cross-reference exists, so far as I know, to allow the number to be used to identify the VIN.
The closeup of the second photo looks familiar. LOL

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
Sorry I overlooked your mention that this was for BJ8s only. I have the car and a title with the VIN, but I don't have the VIN plate to prove to the Florida DMV that the car I have belongs to the out-of-state title I have for it. This despite the fact that the PO owned the car for five years. I may not be able to get a title for this car. Not good. I have looked at the rf shock tower on the car, and, as you say, don't find a number, and were I to find it, I understand it might be meaningless. Thanks again.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Does the car have a body number plate and/or an engine serial number? If it does, then you could have BMIHT do a search to determine the car that left the factory with those numbers. Once you verify that the body and engine numbers (or at least the body number) belongs to the VIN on your title, you can have another VIN plate made and then you would have the BMIHT certificate to back it up. The certificate might also identify the gearbox and rear axle numbers and if you can find those on the car as well you have even more proof of the car's identity. That should satisfy the FL DMV.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
If you are sure this VIN is for this car then why not order a new VIN plate and get it stamped. Clarke Spares and Restoration does this stamping. They recently did my new plate and it looks correct. I would think the DMV would accept it then once you screw it back on the car.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If you are sure this VIN is for this car then why not order a new VIN plate and get it stamped. Clarke Spares and Restoration does this stamping. They recently did my new plate and it looks correct. I would think the DMV would accept it then once you screw it back on the car.

I would recommend that first an effort be made to ensure that the VIN on the title is the correct VIN for the car in question. As I understand it, RDKeysor bought the car already missing its VIN plate, so there is no guarantee that the title shows the correct VIN. I know of many BJ8s whose owners received a title with an incorrect number. In order to increase the chances of convincing the DMV that he actually owns the car identified on the title, it would be helpful to be able to show them some back-up information in addition to a brand new VIN plate -- such as the BMIHT certificate listing the body, engine, gearbox, rear axle, key number, etc. Once he is confident that the certificate supports his claim, he can have Clarke make a new VIN plate with the correct number.
If none of the other numbers are available, then he doesn't have much choice except to have a new VIN made and take his chances with the DMV.

OP
R

RDKeysor

Jedi Trainee
Bronze
Country flag
I don't have an engine number plate nor do I know where the body number is located. I spoke with a Florida DMV inspector today, and he suggested the VIN or part of it could be found on the floor in front of the right seat. I was correctly dubious on that one. I have a number stamp set and am capable of stamping a VIN plate as supplied by Moss. In fact, I did just that on my recently sold Jaguar Mark 2 saloon. However, that wasn't a real legal problem as the VIN sans the prefix and suffix--in other words just the numbers--is clearly stamped in the latch plate area in front of the radiator on those cars. The subject car has a 33 year history at the DMV in the state where I purchased it, but that doesn't prove this is the same car even though it begs belief that the owner with a title for this particular car would be selling me something else. I will continue to pursue this through state DMV and law enforcement authorities, but it hard to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. It seems the practice is that cars new to a state have their VINs checked; those resold in the state, whether they continue to have the original VIN or not, aren't checked. There's a lesson in this.

BJ8Healeys

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The body number plate should be in the top center of the firewall, just above the grommet where the water temp sensor line comes through. The plate is a bare aluminum plate (unless it has been painted over) with two lines of numbers stamped on it. The upper line is called the batch number, and the lower line is the body number of the car (5 digits). If your plate is still there, then BMIHT will do a reverse search on the body number to determine the VIN. If the plate is missing and you don't have an engine number, either, then you're pretty much out of luck as far as determining the correct VIN.
I have seen a lot of VIN plates that were "home stamped" and it is easy to spot them because they usually are pretty crude. If you want the VIN plate to look original, you need to have Todd Clarke stamp it for you. If that isn't important to you, then have at it.

Good luck with the DMV!