• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN where else to look for #'s on a BE

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
BMH and i are having let's call it discussions on the VIN I have on Bugsy II's title. I need alternative locations where VIN was written on / stamped on a BE. VIN plate and plate on left door along with BAE plate are missing. Dashboard last 2 numbers I can read but don't match any of the VIN numbers. New panel kit came with car so can't look for VIN written on back of interior panels. What else is left? Stamping above right suspension mount with stamping of VIN did not start until later cars.

there is a chassis stamping on right side just below cowl that is within 150 #'s of the VIN on the old title but that's all the proof I can find. Problem is the car was evidently a RHD originally. Any thoughts on where else to look for a VIN on this BE. Trying to avoid getting a reissued VIN that will require Bugsy II to be titled as something other than a '59 Austin Healey Sprite. Thanks.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I could be wrong (don't have my books in front of me, will look when I get home) but I don't think the VIN was stamped on a Bugeye anywhere -- just on the screw-on plate in the engine bay and written on the back of the dash. Later cars had some stamped numbers, but pretty sure the Bugeye was just on those locations.

I've certainly not seen a number anywhere on my Bugeye other than those spots. Luckily for me all the plates (Commission, BAE#) were all present and matching.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
On newer Spridgets the VIN may be located is on the right hand front shock tower (under the lever shock).

I'm not sure if they did this on Bugeyes.

I think this number will only be the number portion of the VIN and does not include letters.

Someone else may have better info about this, but still might be worth investigating.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The VIN number on the back side the dash but since yours has been converted to LHD that does you no good. That's the only other place that I believe the VIN is available. The yellow crayon on the rear bulkhead in the body number.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Ray can you elaborate on number on rear bulkhead. Where number is located and how viewed. Visible from underneath car? That area has not been painted but portions of the bulkhead have been cut out and replaced.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I'll need to look closer. Don't think anything remains there but...Thanks Ray.