• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN confusion

BillyBud

Freshman Member
Which is the real VIN number on a Bugeye, the car number or the body number? The car number is on the plate near the engine. The body number is inside the driver door arch. Mine don’t agree, are they supposed to?

Last edited:

Desert Rat

The plate on the frame rail under the carbs is the chassis or VIN number. The AN5 chassis number and BAE number do not match.

BillyBud

Freshman Member
Well it turns out NJ used the body number from the driver side door well and not the car number from the plate near the engine on the title I have. Getting this corrected is going to be a headache.

vping

Yoda
I have to agree with rat. My Bugeye was a bit of a hassle to register (long story) but it worked out in the end. The door tags should not be the #.
I had this issue with a TD once. I explained it to the NYS DMV very nicely, showed them the vin rubbing and was able to change it. Shocker if you've ever dealt with the NYS DMV.

Desert Rat

I had to get my title corrected too. My dad bought mine in ‘61 and when he passed it over to me was the first time I’d ever seen the title. The VIN on the title was 9CU, 60 years ago someone used the engine number when he registered the car. I took the heritage certificate and Horler’s book to the DMV and it was surprisingly easy to change over. The inspector questioned the screws attaching the chassis plate not being rivets but after showing her the pictures from Horler she passed it. The whole deal took 2 hours but my title was corrected.