• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

VIN Problem / Whats difference between BN6 and BN7, bare car.

F Schreiber

I bought a 2 seater Big Healey last August in Georgia. It does not have the original vin tag and the number is unknown. It has a California assigned VIN number on a Washington title. I tried to get the real vin number from the British Heritage Registry but ran into problems. What they want from me now is to narrow down what it is. It's a 2 seater so I figure it has to be a BN6 or a BN7. Almost any part could have been replaced on it, and by looking in the Moss catalog at all the parts there is not much if any difference I can see but the floor panels. They have different number listed for BN6 and BN7. Does anybody know the difference in the floor panels??

Here is what I know about the car:

- I was told when I bought it that it was a 100-6
- It has E392 stamped 3 places. On the hood hinge rear left, on the hood latch, and trunk lid at prop rod hole. British Heritage says they can't find that number under BN6.
- Has 100-6 on grill - horizontal. (That could have been changed)
- Does not say 3000 on the trunk lid under Austin Healey
- Engine is a 3000 engine. 29D/RU/H6433, and I told it was changed
- It has disc brakes and was told those were added.
- The Speedo number is SN 6155/21 ( which Moss lists as BN7). Could have been changed
- I can't find number on rear end. (Moss catalog tells where to look for number on BN7)
- I bought BN6 wheel cylinders, they seem to fit, they were not identical to original. Moss shows BN7 as a different number.
-Master brake cylinder is 3/4 bore which is BN6 per moss, but that could have been changed when if the disc wheels were really added.
-It has the later steering box.
-Does not have a rib down the middle of the hood.
-Its titled as 1957. Say's Dec 1957 on title.
-Buy looking under dash and other places it looks like original color was Healey Blue.
-The frame is painted black. I think its factory paint.

There is supposed to be a body number on body near the door or the cockpit trim. I have looked around on the pieces of trim and on the body at the doors but I don't see a number. Where exactly should that number be?

Can anybody help me tell whether its BN6 or BN7?

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
There are two easy ways to tell if the chassis is a BN6 or 7. On the X member there is a dent in the divers side of it to allow the overdrive solenoid space on the BN7 but not on the BN6. The BN7 transmission has a housing for the bottom actuator lever that the BN6 did not so it necessitated a dent in the top of the X member piece. Secondly, the hole for the capillary tube for the temp gauge is in a different place for each of these. I believe that the BN6 location is in the center of the car where the BN7 is offset. The VIN plate is in different locations as well. See if you can locate firewall photos of BN4/6 vs BT7/BN7 and that should solve your mystery.

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
Here are some firewall photos I found. Note the position of the VIN tag below the body tag on the BN6 versus offset on the 3000 BJ8. That location was the same for all 3000 Slide122.jpgSlide115.JPGSlide103.jpg's

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I didn't think there was any change in gearboxes between the the BN6 and BN7 (Mk1)

It is very strange that the car is titled 1957 as production of BN6's only began in Apl 1958.

The choke control was under the dash on a BN6 and on the dash on a BN7 (from Nov 1959 - not on earliest BN7s)

I don't think there was any difference between the cars regarding the chassis.

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
Derek,
I have built one of each and there is definitely those two minor differences in the chassis. The overdrive solenoid on the bn4 tranny is not enclosed at the bottom. Starting with the 3000 they enclosed the bottom where the actuator of the solenoid connecting to the cross rod in the tranny is enclosed. This necessitated a small dent pressed into the X frame. The vin tag location is different as shown in the photos above.

OP
F

F Schreiber

Appreciate all the info. And so rapidly. I have the car in a storage unit and I will go there to morrow and check all this out. Thank you.

D

Duane_Rhynard

I have a BN6 100-6. The square VIN Tags on the BN6's are offset just like on the BN7's. The rounded edge BN4 VIN tags are centered on the firewall. See images below. (Black BN7, Yellow BN6, Red BN4, Original BN4, Works)

That being said, I'm sure the that some of the tags were put in different places as well, (See last Image) but most of the VIN tags were installed as described.

Thanks,
Duane

122_BN7_-_1-30-05_Firewall.jpg
$(KGrHqYOKo8FGKH2k0!sBRmD1EpF9Q~~60_3.jpg
image141.jpg
$(KGrHqJHJE0FHllQ+yiIBR9gnKF2Kg~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqN,!pEFIRH9)ouIBSIkgYhPgQ~~60_57.jpg

D

Duane_Rhynard

A few more things to check out:

BN6 versus BN7 (Mark I)
BN6 overdrive differential ratio 4.1, BN7 3.9
BN6 Standard differential ratio 3.9, BN7 3.5
BN6 front drum brakes, BN7 front disk brakes
BN6 brake master cylinder size 3/4", BN7 5/8"
BN6 rear wheel cylinders size 1" bore, BN7 3/4" bore
BN6 choke cable under dash, BN7 in dash

Body numbers on the cockpit trim were not stamped on any BN6 or BN7.
Some BN6's came without rib on hood, all BN7's did not have rib.

PM me if you need help with anything!

Duane
'58BN6

OP
F

F Schreiber

I looked at some of this stuff yesterday and here is all the stuff

Somebody asked about the guages, and I will add some other stuff I checked out that people asked about.

Tac RN2351/03 not listed in Moss
Speedo SN 6155/21 Moss says that's BN7
Fuel FG.2530/03 Moss says BN6 or BN7
Water / oil GD1502/05 Moss says BN7
Heater code FHF 3402/01 model F351

The rear end is 4.1 /1 , my car has overdrive, The rear end says MOWOG on the right side of the differential.
One the frame cross braces under the car right below the overdrive solenoid there is an indentation in the frame, a half moon shaped dent about 4 inches long.

I also measure the floor pans which the Moss catalog shows different for BN6 and BN7
I sent a note to Moss and they said

BN7 = 37" x 13 1/2"
BN6 =36 1/4" x 13

These things are not rectangular (90 deg corners) . I measured both side of the car and could not measure at the very edges because they have weld for an inch or two. Here is what I got:
12.5 wide front end, 13.5 back end.
36 inches long at the doors, 34 1/2" long at the tunnel.

The capillary tube for the water gauge comes out the center of the firewall.
The choke is on the dash, about the middle, and not under neither it.
The VIN tag ( which is not the right one) is slightly to the right of the valve cover. No other tag, or I can see not other holes where one might have been.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
To be honest I think it will be impossible to get the real VIN number unless you can trace it through previous owners. You appear to have a mixture of cars, that isn't really a problem IMHO as a lot of cars are like that. Not only do you probably have a mixture of BN6 and BN7 you have a title from 1957 which can only have originally related to a BN4.

OP
F

F Schreiber

I also have learned that there were early 3000's, BN7's that were badged as 100-6's
And have been told that 100' and 100- 6's had the body numbers stamped on the 1 inch wide aluminum trim that goes around the cockpit but BN7's did not have those numbers stamped there. I cannot find any of those numbers on my trim.

OP
F

F Schreiber

I have also been told that there were some early 3000's or BN7's that were labeled 100-6's. I might have one of them. My horn button has a 6 on it, and the grill says 100-67. I was also told that 100's and 100-6's had the body number printed on the 1 " wide cockpit trim, but BN7's did not. I have no body number on any of my trim.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
On further reflection I believe that what you have is a BN7 but with the original title of a 1957 100-Six (BN4). That could explain why you were told it was a 100-Six. It may also explain why the owner had a 100-Six badge on the car. Some early 3000s were badged as 100-Sixes (not sure if that included BN7s), but that does not explain how the car could have a 1957 title. That can only apply to a BN4.

oxford

Jedi Hopeful
As a point of interest here, my car is a late BN4 (BN4 LO 76762) and has the pressing for the overdrive in the chassis cross piece.
Matthew

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought new, one of the first 3000's sold in this country. Actually I bought it before they were announced to the public and I had to wait almost for the official announcement before the dealer would deliver it. It was purchased IIRC in April of '59 and delivered mid-May. I believe the "grand opening" for the 3000 was June 1st 1959.

This car was a BN6, 2 seater, OE white with black inserts and OD, wire wheels,heater, tonneau cover and a black interior. It was badged on both ends as 100/6 and also on the horn push. Choke was under the dash. Correct three liter engine and the too small disc brakes WITHOUT dust shields.

Country flag
Did you look for the stamped number on the chassis? Immediately in front of the RH front shock pad:

IMG_0140-851645781.jpg

I bought my BN6 in San Francisco in April 1978, and it was/is titled as a 1957. It wasn't until some time in the mid-80s, after paying $5.00 for the Heritage certificate, that I found out it was built in May '58. California's DMV, at least my experience with them in the 1970s, was pretty rigid about registering cars, so I'm at a loss to how the car came to be titled before it was built. If anything, cars are often titled the year following when they were built. So, it happens.