• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Starter Issues

Bob Legate

1971 TR6, the gear on the starter will not engage with the ring gear on the flywheel. The starter gear does fully extend when energized on the bench. For some reason, even when it is fully extended, it will not reach the flywheel gear. This is an aftermarket hi torque starter. Didn't have this problem with the OE starter. I haven't tried to energize the starter while it's wired in the car but not bolted to the bell housing to see how far the gear extends. Any ideas? Thanks, Bob

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hi, Bob -

Has this starter been installed and working and just now developed the problem? Not sure if this is your issue, but some of those hi-torque starters had a problem with bolts loosening - the bolts that hold the housing pieces together. Happened to mine on a TR3 I owned a while back. You might take a look at those.

Mickey

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I had the EXACT same problem last year. From what you describe it sounds like your ring gear has moved off of the shoulder on the flywheel so the pinion on the starter never engages it.
See this thread: https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?106472-Starter-not-engaging-into-ring-gear
that I made last August. There are photos of my ring gear out of position and the new one installed.
The good news is that the ring gear is not expensive... the bad news is that it's a major big job to do.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's a pic of my ring gear showing how much it moved....

ring gear.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Here's a pic of the new ring gear after installing on the flywheel.
IMG_2091.jpg

OP
B

Bob Legate

Bingo! I looked in the hole where the starter bolts on and sure enough, the ring gear has moved about 1/4". That explains why the starter gear wouldn't mesh with the ring gear. Thanks very much. You solved the mystery. Bob

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Bingo! I looked in the hole where the starter bolts on and sure enough, the ring gear has moved about 1/4". That explains why the starter gear wouldn't mesh with the ring gear. Thanks very much. You solved the mystery. Bob
Glad to help, as I said I was down that road myself. I don't know of any way to fix the problem but to install a new ring gear. The new ring gear is heated to expand then dropped over the flywheel and it will shrink to form a tight fit.
Obviously it's a PITA to get to the flywheel but once it's done you'll have a dependable starter.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The backwoods way to do it would be to grab a hammer and pointed-tip punch, move your existing ring gear out of the way a little, and use the punch to raise a series of "divots" all around the area of flywheel where the ring gear sits. Then pound the ring gear pack into place and the fit will be tightened up. If the ring gear is fully loose, you also have the opportunity to turn it a bit so different (less frequently used) ring gear teeth come in contact with the starter pinion most of the time. If your existing ring gear is all chewed-up, however, it'll be better to replace it.

The same method works well on TR2/early TR3 ring gears before the change to a bolted-on flywheel.