• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Right-Angle Speedo Drive

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
During my recent pleasurable run in the 250, the speedo went out abruptly. Not that dancing back and forth and noise you get when the cable needs lubrication, but just suddenly nothing. This happened previously only 2 times since 1985. Not bad, right? I suspected the right-angle drive which is driven off the A-type over-drive. I was correct. The plastic gear had melted because the dumb owner (me) forgot to lube it. Well, I picked up the phone and ordered a replacement. Gee, $65? Well, at least this time I will be more diligent in maintaining the lubrication. But upon receipt, I may have been heard saying, "Just look at this sorry piece of crap". Die-cast body and no grease fitting or other way to provide lubrication. $65. ??? Wonder how long this one will last? Certainly not 20 + years which was the average life of the first 2, which , by the way, were machined from brass. Any suggestions? Can this drive be modified to accept some sort of grease fitting?

Attachments

• 286756-DSCN2587-1.jpg
    286756-DSCN2587-1.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 103
D

DougF

I think you can save yourself some possible problems by remembering to lube it every year with a light weight grease. Just include it in your annual tune up.
Another thing to look at is the speedo. I had an old TR6 that had an accumulation of old graphite and grease at the drive input. That along with a heavier oil than necessary in the speedo gears caused the stripping out of several plastic driven gears in the tranny.

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Frank,

you might like to see if you can do as I do on the Triumph 2000 sedan (Same engine and A type overdrive). After going through a couple of angle drives many years ago, I modified any of my 2000's (I have had them as daily drivers for about 25 years) by drilling through the gearbox tunnel opposite the speedo drive and running the cable directly into the gearbox, re-routing the cable inside the car.

I don't know if your chassis is in the way but it is worth looking at. Angle drives were expensive back all those years as well.

Alec

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did the same thing with an MGB. Ended up using a slightly longer (OD) cable. Never a problem. Bob

Airfix

piman,
great idea, has anybody ever tried this on a TR6 with the "J" type?
My angle drive is now U/S, car is out the back in my storage garage, I will have to check it out to see if this will work. I think on the 6 the longer the cable the better, that way it can be routed into the car through the tunnel then back out again in the pax footwell area. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

NickMorgan

Jedi Knight
I would also check that there is no unusual resistance in the speedo or cable before fitting the new right angle drive. This could have caused the plastic part of the drive to fail prematurely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Popeye General Tech O/D right angle drive choices Triumph 10
BritBite Speedometer Right Angle Drive Austin Healey 5
gubba speedometer cable right angle adaptor Triumph 4
19_again changing right angle drives MG 1
trrdster2000 Right angle drives are "FUN " Triumph 2
M Right Angle Drive MG 2
K TR2/3/3A Update on the head gasket repair......something is not right/ Triumph 5
J MGB Oil Pressure Gauge Gives Constant Reading -- Doesn't Seem Right MG 15
B MGB while driving engine cuts out if I let off or push more throttle it comes right back on MG 5
G Right-Side Shock Weeping Oil Austin Healey 1
C MGB Which Weber DGV is the right one. MG 14
P Jag XJ8 starts but then dies right away. Jaguar 4
L Wanted right front turn signal 1975 TR6 Triumph Classifieds 2
drooartz General MG Surprisingly enough, I was right! MG 7
A SOLD!! TR3A Girling Type A brake caliper for right front Triumph Classifieds 0
C TR2/3/3A Right oil Triumph 8
5 Wanted Wanted Parts to convert BN2 from left hand drive to right hand drive Austin Healey Classifieds 0
71TR6 TR2/3/3A Right Front Suspension Damage Repair? Triumph 50
TRclassic3 TR2/3/3A Body leans to right side Triumph 10
red57 Steering not right Austin Healey 66
B For Sale Brand New Black Tonneau Cover for BN4 and BT7 - for Right Hand Drive Car Austin Healey Classifieds 0
dougie Big Healey Six - Used the Right Way Austin Healey 5
John Turney The Panhard Rod is Supposed to be Straight, Right? Austin Healey 7
Bayless What are symptoms of steering rack not shimmed right? Spridgets 14
T For Sale GT6 Mark II Right Front Fender - NOS Triumph Classifieds 0
S Wanted Source for 100 6 right hand remote control door regulator Austin Healey Classifieds 1
C Left to right hand drive Austin Healey 2
T Wanted 1960 Jaguar MK2 front door wood trim, both right and left. Jaguar Classifieds 0
T TR6 grinding right rear wheel Triumph 22
5 Wanted Wanted Parts to convert BN2 from left hand drive to right hand drive Austin Healey Classifieds 1
Rut TR4/4A Nice project for the right person Triumph 0
JPSmit Fuek Tank Sender - does this seem right to you? Spridgets 3
D BJ8 pulls right on hard braking? Austin Healey 4
Simmo TR6 Right Hand Drive Conversion Help Triumph 3
Jim_Gruber 13" Tires - What's out there right now Spridgets 21
Popeye TR4/4A Seats - left/right Triumph 8
TomMull Post-War Other Herald 13/60: I didn't get the battery tray quite right Triumph 4
J BJ8 Vacuum Advance - disconnected -RIGHT - when setting total advance?? Austin Healey 6
Simmo TR6 Right Hand Drive conversion Triumph 5
T TR4/4A This head gasket doesn't look right to me - cooling passanges partially blocked? Triumph 18
Zimmycobra TR4/4A Who's right - float height on ZS 175CD? Triumph 5
M TR2/3/3A Engine does not shut off right away. Why? Triumph 8
spartan0199 BT7 Right Front Brake Drag Austin Healey 30
S TR2/3/3A right to the wheel well Triumph 10
T TR4/4A Making Miata seats in a TR4a look more "right" Triumph 4
Got_All_4 TR2/3/3A 2 questions; raising the body and taking out that lean to the right Triumph 12
Jim_Gruber NOS 10 Post BE Windscreen on E-Bay right now - NFI Spridgets 3
S TR4/4A water pump doesn't feel right Triumph 2
W TR2/3/3A '56 TR3 St 15000+ should have disc brakes... Right? Triumph 33
P T-Series TD Door Hinges: just what is the difference between right and left? MG 11