• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General Tech O/D right angle drive choices

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Hi all,

While perusing the Rimmer web site last night, I noticed they sell two right angle drives for the speedometer cable:

An “OE” version: > Speedo Angle Drive - OE Specification - 120694OE | Rimmer Bros <

A “normal” version (looks to be the same sold by most vendors): > Speedo Angle Drive - 120694 | Rimmer Bros <

The price for each is $169 and $65, respectively. Neither inexpensive!

However, given the consternation associated with right angle drives - an expensive bit to protect the less expensive cable - is the “OE” version worth 3x the cost? I’m all in favor of paying for quality vs cheap parts that half-work (see recent fuel pump discussion in this forum). Obviously the quality must be real!

Does anyone have experience with the pricier version?

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The answer is simplicity, the cable will snuggle into the gap between frame and floor pan (with some coaxing)
it will then live forever, safe from getting dragged,snagged, or burned by the exhaust.Problem solved ZERO $$$
MD

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The OD cable on a tr3 is longer and makes a sweeping arc and does not use the right angle deal, plus the cars are kind of the same. The right angle looks complicated; however, they change on the tr4 for some reason. I would probably take the middle path and not get the top of the line.

Steve

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
+1...on a TR3 don't bother with the extra drive, as they did not use it originally, and there are many threads over the years of problems with the drives. I think some of the later TR's required the drive, though, to clear the tunnel. I have no experience with angle drives...just read several threads about their failures over the years.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all! I fully agree: Elimination is the best way to deal with a problem. Run the cable straight out and no need for an angle drive.

However the right angle makes for a clean run - and frankly it should be possible to design a robust version! (For less than a whopping $170!!)

I do not have problems with mine - yet. But when I do (not “if” 😀) I will study all options, including a straight run.

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
I guess I agree if there's room for a straight connection. If not, just be sure you're using the angle drive with the new instructions and spacer washer included--maybe they've been doing that for several years now, but failing angle drives are a hassle, and the absence of a spacer washer is identified as a cause for failure.

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Quick update: „when” happened, so I’ll share how I fixed it. (I cannot comment on the durability yet!)

My speedo stopped working about 600 miles after my rebuild. The angle drive failed, but it was not obvious: after removing it from the car, turning the input shaft resulted in the output shaft turning as it should. But once I applied slight resistance, the output shaft stopped.

Disassembly involves removing the two retaining rings and popping out the shafts. The output shaft (ie connected to the speedo cable) required some very gentle persuasion with a punch and hammer. Gentle.

Once apart, the failure became obvious: the input shaft was spinning on the driving gear. I read somewhere that filling the input shaft with solder fixes the issue, so that is what I did. I used a (hot) soldering iron, not a torch, so hopefully I managed a decent bond. After cleaning with brake cleaner, I flowed solder down the shaft, using plenty of flux. I paid careful attention to keep the shaft centered in its housing (below picture looks like it is offset - not sure why; it is centered).

I put it back together again, sprayed some graphite down the lubrication hole (the screw is not a grub screw, it is simply an opening for lubricant), and reinstalled everything.

Speedo works… for now. Fingers crossed this is a reliable fix…. It’s got to last more than 600 miles!
IMG_5738.jpeg

IMG_5741.jpeg

RJS

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If it happens again, look elsewhere. I went through three angle drives in short order making fixes/improvements such as yours. Finally traced it back to a hairline crack in one of the tiny odometer gears in the speedometer - leading to binding in the head unit.

Odometer Gears to the rescue: > Odometer Gears - WELCOME <

Look under Smiths/Jaeger. I posted about it in summer 2020

Good luck

Bob

OP
Popeye

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
If it happens again, look elsewhere. I went through three angle drives in short order making fixes/improvements such as yours. Finally traced it back to a hairline crack in one of the tiny odometer gears in the speedometer - leading to binding in the head unit.

Odometer Gears to the rescue: > Odometer Gears - WELCOME <

Look under Smiths/Jaeger. I posted about it in summer 2020

Good luck

Bob
Thanks!!