• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Revisiting bad parts......

G

Whilst cruising down the highway, I suddenly lost all throttle....dead in the water, so to speak (it was raining hard). The AFTERMARKET throttle linkage that connected my carbs to the throttle went south, somewhere under the car. Thank goodness I carry some bailing wire, amongst other things. Soaking wet and an hour later, I hobbled home, wizzed. I ordered same from TRF and got an EXACT DUPLICATE in, hecho in England, installed and good to go. The Taiwanese part was crap, had gotten it off the vendor on the left coast. Moral: not all replacement parts are created equal, do your homework. Unfortunately, you will be buying twice. Frustrating....

Bill

trboost

Jedi Trainee
It's tough, lets face it the big three parts houses are under pressure to stock & sell parts for cars that are out of production for well over twenty years now. Who else could manufacture parts at the lowest cost but China or India. The american dollar is in the toilet & the British pound is very high now . The houses are always fighting the exchange rates & shipping costs.
I try & limit imported parts to non-functioning or "non get me home" reliabily uses. If it makes the car run, steer or stop , I go for the best I can get. If it's a piece of trim, badge or cosmetic part , I'll give it a try.
Several years ago I bought a new camshaft , made in India from one of the big three ( I won't mention the name , Moss , oops ) . This was a fresh rebuild & I wanted a new camshaft & lifters to avoid any failures. The motor ran great but my magnetic drain plug was covered at each oil change, this freaked me out. I checked this at every oil change & inbetween. Eventually I tore the motor down & the cam lobes were severly worn in under 20 thousand miles. Never again.
I have since built up a motor with the best I could get. The good part is a new custom camshaft (not reground) was not rediculous & certainly alot less than rebuilding a motor.
These parts houses mean well & I'll bet when you order you could get the origin of manufacture & ask if they have had any feed back on the part.
Don't get me wrong, I have bought many parts from Moss and have been very pleased with them & their customer service & I will continue to buy, I'm just a liitle smarter about where to buy what parts.

trboost

Jedi Trainee
Here again , sometimes I try my local parts house. I have gotten Moog & other "name brand" parts that were stamped "made in England" . If you can get it localy you'll save shipping costs as well. There's also a cool factor of stepping up to the counter & asking for a part for a Triumph. Many times the counter person is surprised they either have it in stock or it's available next day.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi all,

My current TR4 ground-up rebuild project has given me several opportunities to compare parts from different vendors side-by-side. One reason I've had this opportunity is accidental duplicate ordering on my part (Oops!).

I've noticed some items sourced from TRF are often simply better.

Take, for example, silly little things like the six bolt locking plates for the rear axle/hub/brake backing plate. TRF-sourced items are nice & shiney, zinc plated (I'm guessing) and labeled "Made in England". The parts from one of the other big vendors arrived pre-rusted, no plating, no origin label, but are perfectly serviceable. Hmmm. Perhaps the rust is for authenticity's sake?

Although an awful lot of metal cast and machined items seem to now be made in India, or Taiwan, country of origin appears to only be part of the story. I've just installed a new top radiator hose, the one with the "accordian" pleats, that's a wimpy, pitiful and ugly imitation of the old original I had handy to compare. "Made in England" was smeared/painted on that new hose in big yellow letters as if it were a matter of national pride, but a rag dampened with a little lacquer thinner wiped took that right off.

In my experience, It seems generally true that TRF tries pretty hard to live up to their claims of making an effort to source better quality. I use them a lot for that reason. Eventually I'll be ordering a new top rad hose from them, too! (Not sure which of the other vendors the skinny, ugly one came from.)

I have had all vendors send me incorrect parts. All have made it right with no hassle other than the additional wait for the correct item to arrive.

But, sometimes I'm stuck when a part sits around for a while and I don't know it's wrong until long after ordered and received. Example, I got an oil cooler kit from Moss that had; a. the incorrect spin-on adapter and b. one S/S braided hose far too short to be of any use (or the other far too long, depending upon cooler mounting location). I am sure they would have "made it right" if I'd discovered the problem promptly and contacted them. But I've had the kit on the shelf awaiting installation since 1999 and doubt I could even find the invoice! Who knows, they might still make it right, if I asked. But, after all this time I won't. As it was, I ended up using a different adapter anyway, that has a built-in thermostat.

It will probably surprise no one here if I say that TRF's biggest problem is backorders. They are killing me with em right now! Two recent orders have been over 50% and 80% backordered (in terms of monetary value) including items they show "in stock" on their website that they actually haven't had in years and they won't even try to predict when they might.

I even inquired when ordering recently via phone and was assured an important item was in stock. But the order arrived 6 days later with that item backordered (so I have half an exhaust system installed).

Another thing is that TRF seems to offer fewer "performance" items than some of the other big vendors. But, Moss and VB offer a pretty thin selection of these, too.

Thankfully there are a few smaller U.S. vendors trying to fill the gap, but I envy those of you in G.B. who have access to several very good, innovative "improvement" shops!

Sure, I can order from those shops in England, too. Have done so in the past and will do so in the future. But the cost is really prohibitive due to currently unfavorable exchange rate, highly expensive shipping, plus import duties on top of it all. (At least I don't get levied with your VAT!)

One other nit I'd like to pick is that VB and Moss found it necessary to create their own parts numbering systems, and two different ones at that! This makes it next to impossible to tell in advance if an item is correct per the factory parts catalog, has been superceded, to compare items between vendors, or is just someone's best guess as to what will fit and work.

For example, I was seeking a replacement hand brake lever (at the backing plate/slave cyl.) for a TR4. TRF lists it as NLA. VB and Moss list it as NA, but Moss at least gives me a part number that allows me to cross reference that the TR6 uses the same item and it *is* available. However, I can't be certain it's the right part unless I order it and compare it side by side. IMHO, if everyone used the original factory part numbers, like TRF does, it would make all our lives a lot easier! Of course, that would also make it easier for us to shop around, maybe even use one vendor's catalog to order from another! (As if we don't already!)

At least Moss lists "NA" items in their catalog or on their website, unlike VB who just doesn't number unavailable items at all.

Speaking of websites, Moss's is very good.

It's true, the competition between vendors has undoubtedly helped keep prices down. But it's also sometimes forced them to source from places with little or no quality control. Sometimes that's a problem, sometimes not! (There's no excuse for a camshaft that wears itself out in 20K miles!) I've got a number of old catalogs covering a variety of TRs and MGs, that I keep for reference and it's interesting to compare the prices of, say, drilled brake rotors. $240 a pair in 1999, $130 six years later.

Overall, we're very lucky to have reasonably eas access to parts for our old cars. Prices are generally not bad (compare 1980 Honda motorcycle parts, sometime!), a surprising array of items are available considering the age of our cars, and customer service ranges from pretty good to excellent.

The Internet has really helped improve access and availability, although many vendors are a little slow taking advantage, or maybe a bit timid about putting all their wares and prices out there for their competitors to see (which also limits what potential customers see!)

It's a brave new world.

Cheers!

Alan

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Just last week I inquired about a part at a local/chain parts store...

Me: "I'm looking for a ____(insert any part name)____."
20 Year Old Parts Counter Person: "What car?"
Me: "Triumph, TR4, 1962"
20 Year Old Parts Counter Person: "Who made that?"
Me: "Triumph."
20 Year Old Parts Counter Person: "Plymouth?"
20 Year Old Parts Counter Person: "Pontiac?"
Me: "Standard Triumph."
20 Year Old Parts Counter Person: "Okay, I get it. But who made it?"
Me: "Thanks! See ya (when I need some motor oil)."

Cheers!

Alan

Bill Redd

Jedi Hopeful
Alan:
Great post! I agree about the quality of TRF parts, but hate the wait.
I ordered something from our "neighbor" in Santa Barbara, and I can be sure that the UPS guy will arrive with it tomorrow morning, as promised...I'm still learning when the convenience is not worth it. We'll see what the quality is like this time.
Ahhh, the trade-offs.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Re: Revisiting bad parts...my $.02

I second everything Alan says. I statred out ordering parts from TRF back in the late 1970s when I had my TR-3. My experience with TRF regarding quality has been pretty good. THey try to get everything they can from England, but when they have to produce it, you almost have to go to the far east. But the last time I called in an order, everything I wanted was on backorder and one item (a freaking output shaft nut!!) had been on backorder for two years. I've never used Moss and VB has never been able to answer a question. Also hate their part numbering system.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Alan, when you get a minute tell us what you really think and don't hold back this time. Just kidding, been there and done that, and unfortunately I will again or should I say, at my age I hope I will again. Wayne

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nice to read a vendor thread that is neither vendor-bashing nor a love-fest. Quality and availability vary, often with an inverse relationship to price -- still the fact that we have choices and can get parts at all is truly wonderful and makes this hobby practical and enjoyable.

I note that billspit was using TRF in the 70s -- not his local Triumph dealer (I was a 'Start Your Engines' customer back then). Point is -- our parts situation is better now than when Triumph was still in business -- but by no means perfect.

urchin

Jedi Trainee
I've shared many of the experiences written here concerning parts and availability. The latest TR-7/Spitfire Moss catalogue just arrived in the mail and the later TR-7 alternator is NLA. An alternator!! For those of us who run their cars all the time, this is terrible.

I, too, have commented here on the backorder problem with TRF, who do claim to like the TR-7 but carry few products in stock for them. Moss care about their customers but doesn't really do much with the TR-7. Victoria British parts quality is all over the map; some parts are great and some look like there were J.C. Whitney rejects.

I also own a 1966 Land Rover that I use often. Parts availability for the Series Rovers is much better; parts quality can vary but the vendors really care about this situation. Land Rover's still in business and they do care about classic Land Rovers - that helps enormously.

Parts availability and quality can put a chill on daily driving of a British sports cars. Clients and bosses really do expect you to show up on time; car stories don't carry the cachet they once did.

Jeff

OP
G

[ QUOTE ]

Cheers!

Alan

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, is this the truth or what. I was just ranting about this very thing a few weeks ago. I try not to go to the chain parts stores for anything beyond fluids and headlights for all my cars, especially the TR.

I'll agree that the quality at TRF is their biggest selling point, although I have gotten an item from them that I thought was terrible quality. Ordered a hood release cable from them when I first got my car and it sucked, to put it bluntly. Went with a nice solid steel core Holley choke cable instead, has worked beautifully ever since. Other than that my only complaint with TRF is the backordering, it's pretty much what keeps me from going there these days. When I've got a project planned on the car I don't want to wait 6 months to get the parts. I'm not terribly good at planning ahead, so that doesn't help. I usually end up going to Moss for two reasons: a) their warehouse is 40 minutes from my house, so I can jet up there on a Saturday morning and actually see what I'm getting before I buy it (saves on the shipping costs also) and b) they usually always have what I want when I want it. I think I've only had items backordered there twice, and both times the parts arrived within a week of my ordering them. Yes, quality is a bit more spotty than TRF, but responsiveness and convenience more than balance that, at least for me. Plus I usually hit their Fallfest car show and on that day you get a discount of 15% off everything in the catalog if you buy it over the counter, so I save my big ticket items for then if I can. I've yet to order from VB, they just never had anything that seemed like a better deal than Moss or TRF so I've never bothered, although I have their catalog sitting in my desk.

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Having owned British cars since 1975 with a hiatus for 5-6 years in the late 80's I can relate.

When I bought my first TR250 back in '75 I worked at a Bap Geon Foreign parts place. It was a chain store that competed with Beck Arnley. We were fortunate in that allot of the orig. mfg parts were still avail. As a matter of fact we used the mfg part #s. Almost everything was available for the Japanese & Brit cars within a day or two from the warehouse!

When I got back into the Brit cars in 1995 with my Series 3 Land Rover things had changed somewhat. Rover had pulled out of the US in 1974 & they sold very few Series trucks here. They re-entered the US in 1987 with the Range Rover, but none of the dealers handled parts for the Series. I called a newly opened Rover dealer & the "kid" at the parts desk said there was no such thing as a 1973 Land Rover! Wow, my truck was more rare than I had originally thought.

Anyway after networking (minimal Web availability then) I found Rovers North in VT & Atlantic Brit in NY. At the time R. North was an official importer, so everything was OEM. Atl. Brit was sourcing parts from various vendors & sometimes the stuff was crap. RN was fairly expensive, but good quality, AB was much cheaper but never new what you were getting.

After ten years AB has switched sources & seems to offer more OEM & better brands, but RN offers original & optional cheaper (but good quality) alternatives.

Have not had much experience for my new TR250 needs, but am hoping that between the 5-6 vendors I can find what I need.

P.S. For bearings, u-joints, belts & some hoses the Rover guys had an exhaustive (no pun intended) list of American made (NAPA etc) parts interchange. Very nice if you needed a part locally or where on the road.

Maybe we should h\get a tech group together & or start compiling a list of interchange parts we know that work.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

OP
G

Scott, the only hood release cables out there are all inferior, whether they came from TRF, Moss, VB, Rimmer, etc.
I saw a drawing of an auxillary cable release for the TR6 from 6-Pack some time back. I spent a weekend fabricating this device that works as a lever that actuates the locking lever on the stock bonnet lock. Slick as grease. If I could ever figure out how to post pictures on this site (I don't have a web site to send from) I think you would be impressed with the efficiency of this setup. My stock bonnet release cable (broke four!) now is for show only.

Bill

OP
G

Don't mean to sound chatty (double post) but I bemoan the apparent disappearance of MossMotors UK. They had an excellent website with parts just not available over here. For instance, I spotted the mirrors that British Leyland marketed on their European TR6's, a set of winged, cast-base mirrors that worked on both sides. It took a very-long-distance phone call to aquire same but it was worth it. Anywho, they had items that you won't find stateside. Now they are gone. Pity.

Bill

OP
G

Bill, I would like to see your hood release setup, sounds interesting. You can get a free account for posting pictures online here:

photobucket

There are a few other similar sites but I've been using photobucket for awhile and it works well. You upload pictures to your account and then link to them in forums and other web sites.

As I said, my hood release solution was a Holley choke cable. The Brit car supply company cables are all braided steel wire, like a bicycle brake cable. Once you tighten that set screw, if you remove it for any reason the thing is basically useless as the wire frays like crazy. The Holley cable is a solid heavy gauge wire core, no fraying and it would take the Hulk to break the thing given the leverage available. The jacket is a nice chromed wound steel jacket, you could slam your hood closed on it and it's not going to hurt it. The length was even perfect, 5 feet if I remember correctly. The only thing that some people might not like is the handle, it's a round black plastic knob, not a T-handle like the original or replacement ones. Obviously this would be unacceptable on a show car, but other than that this cable has worked flawlessly for me. As important as the cable though is making sure that the latch assemby is properly adjusted. If it's not, it can require the cable to be pulled excessively hard to open, which can cause the cable to fail quickly.

I'd still like to see your arrangement Bill.

Stinky

Jedi Trainee
I think you can upload pics directly to this forum as an attachment. Or email the pics to someone that has some webspace.

Kurtis

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]

Cheers!

Alan

[/ QUOTE ]

While I've never really had this problem at any of the chain auto parts stores around here (most all of the employees I've dealt with at AutoZone, Napa and O'Riley's know exactly what a Triumph is), I personally welcome any and every opportunity to talk about my car and share my (albeit limited) knowledge about Triumphs - whether I'm dealing with a friend, co-worker, complete stranger or auto parts store employee. If you approach the situation from that standpoint, perhaps you'll find similar exchanges in the future a little less frustrating, and who knows, you might even plant a seed of interest in theses cars in one of these 20-year old parts counter persons. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

trboost

Jedi Trainee
I agree Kurtis,
Sure I've stepped up to the counter and asked for a Triumph part & had the counterperson look at me like I asked for a part on an alien space ship, but more often than not they know the marque & are eager to see what they have. They all seem to enjoy when I park the car right in front & often ask me about it. I even had a guy from a local american iron speed shop step out from behind the counter & come out front to check the car out.
We're not seeing enough interest in younger enthousiast to keep this hobby at it's peak, so as you say, "plant the seed" when ever you can.