• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear hub nut size

boxfullofyertoys

Quick question...

I'm in the process of swapping my rear end housing (due to a few broken bits), and I need to know the size of the nut(s) on the inside of the drums so I can remove the hubs on both sides. Any ideas on how big they are? Is there any trick to taking them off?

Thanks!

Another tip, I bought a socket for this, it was bevel on the end and I couldn't get all the way on the thin hub nut, os I chucked up in the lathe, and turn the bevel/radius off the end of the socket so I could get all the way on the nut, so look at your socket choices, and be ready to customize it for this job. On re=assembly, I don't use the tab washer, thet thing is a joke, I cealn all the tread , free of oil and grime, use red loctite, and torque to 100 ft. pounds, I've seen people use a chisel and hammer to do this, very bad idea.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Think about a local Farm Supply Store for the socket. Got one at Tractor Supply for $7-8. Sears wants 2.5 x's as much for a socket you'll use once or twice.

nomad

Yoda
You will need a bearing puller and a piece of plate with a centering hole to pull the hubs off the axle tube's as well.
KA.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
No Bearing puller, I just turned the rear drums around, put on a couple of lug nuts and made use of the rubber mallet. Axles slid right out with very little effort.

OP
boxfullofyertoys

boxfullofyertoys

Thanks for the pointers. It will def be a big help.

I decided to shoot over to Harbor Freight on my lunch break to see if they had anything large enough, and all they had was a few large adjustable wrenches. Sears Hardware (thankfully right across the street) didn't have much either (out of stock).

I did however encounter a conundrum: The socket I need is a 3/4" drive. That means I'd have to get the socket and the socket wrench, which is a costly proposition given I'm going to use it all of 4 times.

What do you think is the best way to go without having to modify anything or spending a ton? Will a beefy adjustable wrench suffice? I obviously don't want to half-ass the job, but at the same time I can't justify spending a ton of money for something that's barley going to get used....

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
https://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=2117

you can buy all kinds of adapters.

I bought the 3/4 set - it is amazing how often I use it - not just for the nuts that size on Ms Triss (rear hub, crankshaft, oil cleaner bracket) but as a drift and various other things. plus I get to impress the heck out of my friends with a 3/4 drive - (Insert Tim Taylor arr arr arr sounds here)

cost about $50

OP
boxfullofyertoys

boxfullofyertoys

Hmmmm...it looks like I'm going to have to take another swing over to HF...maybe I missed something!

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
You might want to get a 3/4" drive breaker bar for this one job. If you have a Northern Tool nearby you might want to check them out. They seemed to have a pretty good selection of individual sockets, and wrenches. Stuck me as an upscale Harbor Freight. You can always check the prices online.

Brian