• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Petrol Tank Installation TR 3A

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Tank installation is straight away but I suspect the filler cap and neck assembly is going to be a bear. Any one do that installation and what are the tricks to getting it correct? I know that I am going to have to trim the rubber connection. But what else do I need to know about it?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!

Tinkerman

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
If your TR is post TS 60000, the rubber hose for the inlet is rather easy because the top metal piece has screw threads, where are on the earlier TRs, it was very difficult to get the hose on and then slide it up to be joined to the filler piece above.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Just curious, Dick, what style of filler neck do you have? I've seen 3 different styles, but I think one of them was only fitted to TR4 or possibly very late 3A or 3B.

The early necks are the hardest, IMO, as they have a separate piece that goes under the tonneau panel. You'll need to cut the rubber hose way down, so it will slide almost entirely onto the tank neck, and after the piece is in place, slide it up.

The later ones are much easier, just put the hose partway onto the tank neck, and hold the nut above it while you slide the neck in from the top.

And what I think of as the TR4 style are easier yet, as you don't even have to hold (or tighten) a nut. They are only held to the car by the grommet in the tonneau panel; and by being clamped to the hose.

Palmer

Now I'm confused. I've got No. 50391. I thought the filler piece with the threads went <span style="text-decoration: underline">under</span> the body sheet metal and the cap screwed into that piece, providing a nice solid connection to the body. I'm pretty sure that's the way mine was assembled when I got it. Of course, it's been so long, and the car has been taken apart and put back together so many times that I can't say for sure.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Palmer, you have the same problem that I have, its been so long etc. From what I have read I believe what you described is the way mine was also. So I'm going with Randalls description of how to put it together. Based on pictures I have, taken at shows and gatherings, mostly that cap sits right on the sheet metal. As you say it makes for a solid connection.

Cheers, Tinkerman

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Palmer said:
Now I'm confused. I've got No. 50391. I thought the filler piece with the threads went <span style="text-decoration: underline">under</span> the body sheet metal and the cap screwed into that piece, providing a nice solid connection to the body.
That is correct for what I described as the early style. TS13571L has that style, as did TS39781LO.

I don't know just when the changeover occurred (likely it was over a range of cars instead of at one particular commission number), but it seems to have been close to TS60000, so your 50391 should also have the early style.

But I believe that originally, there was a thin gasket between the upper part and the deck, so that it would clamp on both the deck and the seal to the lower part at the same time. If it seems loose after installing, you should probably insert that gasket. No part number for it AFAIK (it was likely supplied only as part of the cap assembly), so you'll probably have to make your own.

OP
Tinkerman

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Oddly enough my car with commission #65750 had the older style. I remember taking it apart. I just couldn't remember how it came apart. I sure don't remember a gasket but that makes a bunch of sense to put one in. As you say a thin one.

Tinkerman

TruCraft

Jedi Hopeful
I have my tank installed and everything looks good.
But, I forgot to put my ground wire on the sending unit.....just found it in a box of parts.
It is a black wire about 2 ft long, a small eyelet that goes to the unit.
The large eyelet is about 3/8" ID, and goes where??
Thanks
Lyle

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Mine runs to the RH tank mounting bolt in the trunk (where it will eventually be hidden by the trim board); but I have no idea if that is "correct" or not. Sounds just like yours though, except mine also has the ground wire I added for all the rear lamps.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randall is right about the gasket, mine was so thin I didn't even realize there was one until I was checking for rust around the sheet metal hole.
My dis-assembly photo shows the tank ground strap attached to the tank hold down strap, and I'm pretty sure my tank had never been removed.
FRank

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
The ground wire had a large round lug on the end and that big hole in the lug went under the bolt head as Randall wrote. That is the original method. Just make sure that it's not insulated by a thick layer of paint (or rust) and that it makes a true ground.

TruCraft

Jedi Hopeful
I will sand a little paint off the hold down strap and use a star-lock washer for a good ground.
Thanks for the response Frank.
You folks from S. California are on the ball!
And Canada!
Lyle