• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New to the forum and no petrol

Gerdo

Freshman Member
This is my first post. Just found the forum.

After driving with a petrol gauge that always reads E. I started by looking inside the petrol tank. I could see the float laying on the bottom of the tank. It is still connected to the sending unit but not floating. I used a piece of wire to hook it and lift it with the car running (does not work with just the key turned on, must be running) and it reads on the gauge. I also found localy a replacement float that I will pick up later. It feels good to know what the problem is. I'm glad that it is not related to "The Prince of Darkness" (Lucas)

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on the easy fix, and welcome to the Forum!

Mickey

Winston

Jedi Trainee
Yea it's a little tough to start with no petrol,I've yet to fix my fuel gauge it makes the adventure more interesting!
Welcome to the best Forum on the globe.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Used a yardstick for many years (1" = 1 gal) but finally fixed my gauge and calibrated to something meaningful if not totally accurate.

Welcome to our gathering.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
When I restored my TR3A from 1987 to 1990, I don't know what I did to the float assembly, but ever since, it reads full for about 60 or 80 miles, then it suddenly clicks down to where it should be. For me it's not a problem and I'm not asking for a solution.

In 2000, when I was leaving the west gate of Yellowstone Nat'l Park, I filled up the tank. Later in the day, the TR died coming into a town south of Boise, Idaho, so I pulled off to be out of the traffic. I figured that it might be really serious, or maybe I was out of gas. So I hit the start button and away I went, - about 100 feet where it died again. I could see that the gas gauge read very, very low. Luckily I was at the top of a hill and rolled all the way to the bottom - into town and right into a gas station where I filled up with 15.05 US Gallons. My tank is nominally a 15 gallon tank. I had found the solution to my problem. That afternoon, after Boise and then Orange, Oregon we headed on to Portland for VTR 2000. I was convoying with another TR3A at the time. With over 55,000 miles on the car, the VTR judges gave me second in class over a recent restoration who had driven 35 miles to the show. I had driven over 3500 miles there.

Click below to see "TRusty" with 87,000 miles since 1990.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/ubbthreads/photopost/showphoto.php/photo/1919/ppuser/4127

Don Elliott, Original Owner, TS 27489 LO

vettedog72

Jedi Knight
My gauge went out when I let the car set up for a few years w/o Stabil in the tank but what the heck, just fill it up and you don’t have to worry. Right? Wrong!
Finally got 500 miles on the new bearings and pistons, etc so a little trial was in order. I got a ways from town and was heading down a remote hwy with bursts of full throttle, first to 3k, then to 3.5k and gosh it was pulling good. So now I get on a 4 lane hwy so I plan to ck out 4k and on the way up I feel a hesitation; ck oil pressure, listen for more engine noises but nothing. I had come back to 2k by then and was ready to see what was up so back up (in 4th gear) it pulls strong and I can feel more power (buttometer is the only power indicator being used) as it approaches 3.5k then 3.8K and more hesitation. Back to 2k and now lets find out what the problem is or break something. Back on the peddle and pass 3.5k and moving; it is pulling pretty good and better than I remember it pulling in the past. Gets to 4K and stalls at 4k, no back fires or unevenness in the exhaust (that I can hear with the top down) but just seems it is out of breath. So, I hold it at 4K and the peddle is to the metal only to see the RPM’s fall. Gee’s must be the fuel pump (original never rebuilt 85K OEM pump) . Then it stalls completely down……maybe a blocked vent for the gas tank but no, simply OUT OF GAS. By then, the ominous rain cloud that was following me was close and with lots of lightning. The only silver lining here is that it was only out of gas! Yes, I got wet!

Welcome to the group.

swift6

Yoda
Welcome to the BCF Gerdo, it's good to see another Coloradoan on here.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

OP
Gerdo

Gerdo

Freshman Member
It has been in the 50's here all week and looks like it is giong to continue so... I picked up the float today and had to make a gasket but all in all start to finish, including getting tools out, empting the boot and cleanup it only took about 45 minutes. All fixed.

I've been kind of ignoring the old TR but with the nice weather I've gotten the bug to drive her. I need to look at her as my second car and not just an occasional driver. I almost have forgotten how much fun it is to drive it.