• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Al petrol tank issue

JAV

Silver
Country flag
Has anyone had a problem with AL tanks from England, (this one came from AH Spares) where the pickup is located wrong? It is impossible to check through the two holes. I've taken the car out only twice so far, and both times it has stalled going up my rather steep driveway near the top, and sounding like running out of fuel. It did have at least 2 or 3 gals. I'll check later by setting it on a slope and running it, but I though I'd ask also.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi do not have any experience with Ali tanks although I doubt that is the problem. While you are checking things out be sure and check the floats in the carbs. A float that is leaking or has filled and sunk can cause this problem.--Fwiw--Keoke

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
JAV said:
Has anyone had a problem with AL tanks from England, (this one came from AH Spares) where the pickup is located wrong? <span style="font-weight: bold">It is impossible to check through the two holes</span>.
Hi Jav,
Which two holes are you referring to? In addition to what Keoke said, you might want to check all the fittings in the fuel line between the tank and pump. An air leak there will starve the pump of fuel.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you are running up a steep enough hill, any healey will run out of gas with only a couple of gallons in it.

The other thing that causes this problem is when the fuel pump is starting to fail and it can pump enough "head" to get the to carbs because it has to pump uphill.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
By the way, I've always felt that they should have run the pickup in the back of the tank not the front. That way you always have fuel going uphill, even if close to empty. If going downhill, it doesn't matter if you run out of gas because you can coast....

Country flag
healeynut said:
By the way, I've always felt that they should have run the pickup in the back of the tank not the front. That way you always have fuel going uphill, even if close to empty. If going downhill, it doesn't matter if you run out of gas because you can coast....
I've felt so too. I did run out of gas going uphill when I lived in San Francisco. I had to coast backwards into someone's driveway and point myself back down the hill.

I took care of that when I had this twenty-eight (28) gallon tank made.

IMG_6648.jpg

OP
JAV

JAV

Silver
Country flag
I like that answer, always run out of gas going downhill.
As to the hill, I've a 66 which has gone up this hill many time without a problem. Everything in the car is new or rebuilt, pump included. It is a german electrical pump from Mike Lempert, works great on level ground. One thing I do notice is the pump continues to clic even though no fuel is leaking and the float bowls are full. So, there might be an air leak. I'll check on that next.

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
I'm not sure if this will help,but here goes. Three weeks ago, I ordered a new tank from Moss. When I put in the order over the phone, I was told the tank was back ordered. After having a pretty long conversation with the man taking the order, he told me that they had a problem with the maker and it had to do with the pickup. He told me they were working with the maker and would send me a tank when this problem was resolved.I'm not sure who is making these tanks but I know they are made in the U.K.. You might want to look into this a little further.
Bobby R

OP
JAV

JAV

Silver
Country flag
Thanks Bobby, I checked with AH spares and they said they did not supply Moss. As to my tank they haven't got back to me yet. I compared the pickup to the original tank using a 1 gallon measure. The original would pick up, when level, below a gallon. The AL tank would draw air with the gas at that level. I opened the old tank to see how they did it originally, quite clever, they leave a pocket under the pickup tube that holds gas even if low and going uphill. Anyway, it looks like I'm stuck with this, so I'll be filling the tank more frequently.