• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Petrol Tank cleaning.

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good Morning LBC fans...

RE: My '57 A and its fuel system...

As you all know, I am almost finished with my 4 year frame off. In the process I cleaned out the petrol tank by soaking and sloshing gas in it to clean out as much of the tar that was in the tank but obviously this was not enough.

The engine runs well but when the fuel gets low it starves out. I have removed the fuel line at the back carb and, with the fuel pump on, nothing is delivered...

Sooo, the question... Is there a chemical that I can put into the tank while it is still installed and feeding the carbs, that will disolve the tar and not damage the engine/carb/fuel pump ???

If necessary, I will remove the tank and use something else but REALLY wanted to avoid that effort...

Thanks...

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
Ron - Since a clogged line from the fuel tank to the pump can result in damage to a SU fuel pump, I would suggest removing the tank and have it professionally cleaned and sealed. While the tank is being cleaned, you should also completely flush the fuel line between the tank and the pump to get rid of any crud in it. Also, before you ask, don't put a filter between the tank and the pump as this will only increase the likelyhood of a clog in the inlet line to the pump, and damage to the pump. Below is part of an article I am writing on Fuel pump myths that explains the damage to a SU fuel pump by a clog on the inlet side of it:

SU pumps are able to pass most debris right through them without causing any problems. The filters that are built in them are designed to stop rocks and small birds. Placing a high efficiency filter on the inlet side of a SU pump is something to be avoided because if the filter clogs to the point where it will not allow fuel to pass through it, the pump will stall in a current on condition. This situation, if the power is left on for any period of time (such as while troubleshooting) will cause the coil to overheat and will burn out the internal swamping resistor. Unfortunately, since the resistor is internal to the coil housing, the damage goes unnoticed but the result is that the points will start arcing excessively and burn out prematurely (because this internal swamping resistor is part of the arc suppression circuit). Worse still, if the burned points are replaced, the replacement points too will burn out very rapidly, leaving another MG driver cursing the SU fuel pumps as worthless pieces of _____ (you fill in the blank).
Cheers,

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight
This last year I had my tank cleaned at a shop and then soldered the pin holes in the top of the tank. Finally, there is a sealing product that is almost like undercoating that I painted the whole tank with. Where I'm going with this is if I were to do it again, I think I'd just go with a new tank, a little more money, but it'd be new.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the advice. I guess that I was avoiding the inevitable... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

As my late father always said..'.. never time to do it right... always time to do it over...' /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

By the way.. the tank is is great shape with no holes and no rust... just sludge in the bottom... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

I know what my project will be for the weekend.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Take the tank to your local radiator shop & have them boil it & chemically line it.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Thanks for the note... It shall be done... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

By the way, I PM'd ya a few days ago...

Thanks

Steve_S

Yoda
Ron, I bought a Moss (re-labeled Hirsch) cleaning / etching / sealing kit a while back and decided I don't need it after all. I'll sell it at a discount if you're interested. This is the best sealer you can buy. I can deliver to Cars & Coffee or Laguna Seca. Keep in mind that I would have the tank boiled out whether you plan to use this stuff or not. A chemical bath is the only way to get the really nasty stuff out.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Steve,

Thanks for the offer. I will probably take you up on it...

Let me get the tank out first and have it boiled...

Hold the phone... ' Toil and trouble, cauldron bubble..'

Me thinks that fits here.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Ron - you did - I ot it - I'm still in upstate New York until end of month.....can drop ship new parts directly from warehouse but can't do anything w/used ones til I get home....am still trying to figure out how to get that thing off...hopefully the bolts will come loose by time I get home.

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tony,

Thanks for the note.... Keep in mind that I was merely pinging you.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

You are the traveling man.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
To close this one out...

With all of the causes it COULD have been....

I ABSOLUTELY HATE TO ADMIT THIS.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/square.gif

I started to remove the tank to have it boiled out... I drained the tank only to find that the fuel was clear and perfect?!?!? What the hey??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

I started removing the main feed line to the pump only to discover that I had never installed the nut!!! The bloody thing was sucking air!!! I tightened the nut and am now happily pumping fuel to my carbs... No wonder the pump was on all of the time.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

What a putz... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
LOL, sounds like something I would do.

R

RonMacPherson

Ron, welcome to the human race, glad you got it!

Aloha, Ron

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Sounds like something a lot of us have done, but are too proud to admit it here /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/jester.gif

Like, ah, putting in new points, reassembling everything and finding the rotor on the workbench /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
ronzet said:
To close this one out...

With all of the causes it COULD have been....

I ABSOLUTELY HATE TO ADMIT THIS.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/square.gif

I started to remove the tank to have it boiled out... I drained the tank only to find that the fuel was clear and perfect?!?!? What the hey??? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

I started removing the main feed line to the pump only to discover that I had never installed the nut!!! The bloody thing was sucking air!!! I tightened the nut and am now happily pumping fuel to my carbs... No wonder the pump was on all of the time.... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wall.gif

What a putz... /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

Ron, Feel no dispare.
ashamed0003.gif
During the restoration process on my 72, The entire fuel system was checked out, cleaned and all new fuel lines were installed. All but one. I didn't have a new line to replace the line from the tank to the pump so I put the old one back on as a temporary fix, so I could get the engine running and check out the system. WELL, as the saying goes, "Out of sight, Out of mind". I forgot about that line, until, a month ago, when the wife and I were going for a ride and the car started acting up. I knew it was a fuel problem right off, but not sure what. Got it back home and found the "TEMPORARY", braided line was more temporary than I originally thought and was falling apart. The pump was sucking air. Ordered a new one and all is well.
happy0148.gif
Funny, because I never forget things like that! Well---almost never
rolleye0012.gif
Gee I like that phrase, almost never. Helps cover up things like memory loss, stupidity etc.
indifferent0023.gif
he, he.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Or starting the car with the BFW attached to the pulley nut.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
vping said:
Or starting the car with the BFW attached to the pulley nut.

Now I'll bet that would get your attention!
sign0007.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Gentlemen,

I feel SOOOO much better....

Although I must wonder what else I forgot to insert, tighten, screw, or otherwise install correctly.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Ron,

Mahalo nui loa...