• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Damaged threads in the gas tank

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well my saga continues in the rear of the car. I have just put a new gas tank in the boot and have stripped one or two of the threads in the top of the tank where the sender fits. I first installed the sender with a rubber gasket but found that it passed fuel. I changed it for a cork seal and blow me down if I did not strip least one of the threads whilst tightening it down, I had not used much force but the screw just turns. I am in the process of reproducing the fix that I developed on the old tank that was hand made by someone. They had used self tappers and a rubber seal and I converted that to set screws and cork gasket - worked a treat.

I am trying something different with this one, the first one incorporated RivNuts but I intend tapping the threads into 6mm ali. I will post details on this thread when my piece of ali arives.

:cheers:

Bob

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Bob,

I'm not completely grasping what your fix is, but why not install Helicoils or tap the original threads oversize?

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
We are talking about a sheet thickness of 2 mm which the tank is made of, I could go to m4 thread but in 2mm sheet I would not expect any better result. I will take images of the fix.

:cheers:

Bob

BobHaskell

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
So the tank manufacturer didn't add any extra material for the sending unit mounting flange? The flange of an original tank is about 5 mm (0.2") thick (steel). I take it that your tank (and the flange) is aluminum. Ouch.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Consider rivnuts:

Yeah that is great BOB:
They have a selection of these tools economically priced to handle specially working a given metal .

OP
B

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
:mad::mad: Oh dear, I must find a darkened room, talk about egg on face. I removed the sender to check on all the dimensions and found that I had used some longer screws and they had not been fully driven home, the threads were fine and there was a reinforcing ring fitted around the opening. I refitted everything and tightened up all the screws properly this time and every thing appears to be fine.
Note to self, put your glasses on next time. I guess my experience with the old tank had made me paranoid about it.

Bob