• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

World Gas [Petrol] prices?

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
What are you guys paying for fuel these days accross the Pond? I giving about $2.98 a US gallon for regular in Eugene, Oregon USA.

Country flag
I pay 96.5p per litre here in Glasgow, Scotland. Reckoning on $1.90 to the £; and 3.8 liters per US Gallon (the UK Gallon is 25% larger) gives a cost of $6.95 per US gallon. Some places will be more, some a little less.

If you came here and bought a UK gallon and worked all the math out it'd cost $8.70 roughly, but you'd get more....

tomshobby

Yoda
A better comparison of fuel prices might be "before tax" or "without tax" cost.
Here we add tax for highways and other things. In other countries they add national health care tax.
Wherever, the actual fuel cost probably is not so bad, it is the cost of the social ride that starts to add up.

MrPandy

I just filled up my Tahoe with regular at $2.89/gallon near Baltimore, Maryland. Super was $3.10/gal. With a little driving, I could have gotten it for $2.85.

T

Tinster

Ironic isn't it that our car with the highest
gasoline miles per gallon sits dead in the garage.
I read that TRs get 25 mpg?

My jeep gets 20 mpg and my wife's gets 14 mpg.
The TR6 could actually save us some money on weekends.

Plus it would be a lot more fun to drive to the beach
and the mountains.

Someday>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

t

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
A better comparison of fuel prices might be "before tax" or "without tax" cost.
Here we add tax for highways and other things. In other countries they add national health care tax.
Wherever, the actual fuel cost probably is not so bad, it is the cost of the social ride that starts to add up.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the UK, and it is common in Europe more generally, the tax on petrol is treated as part of the general tax revenues and available for any purpose. Governments dislike taxes dedicated to specific expenditure.

Given the nature of the industry most price differentials reflect tax policies and some usually less sizeable transport and processing costs.

I did some playing with the numbers and came up with a "taxless" cost of about $2.20, though I can't say that's particularly reliable....

mailbox

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Wally World just opened up a new store and some new pumps around here and started a gas war. The lowest I have seen is $2.70. I have heard it has been as low as $2.50 something. Hey, war IS good for SOMETHING. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

roger_abbott

Jedi Hopeful
The average of state and federal taxes on gasoline is 42 cents per gallon. Source: American Petroleum Institute. For individual state tax burdens, see https://www.energy.ca.gov/gasoline/statistics/gas_taxes_by_state_2002.html. That makes gasoline in the States about $2.55 to $2.75 a gallon before tax. Considering that the raw material is $1.37 a gallon as it goes into the refinery, I think gasoline prices are not out of line when compared to other essential consumer commodities.

Of course, if you want really cheap gasoline, you could move to Venezuela, where it is 21 cents per gallon, I am told.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
In Oz I'm paying about $1.40 to $1.50 a litre for 96 octane (I have the fuel injected model), and of that there is about 50% tax, made up of Federal, State and GST. I have not worked out my mileage, but compared to my wifes 4WD, it seems very thirsty.

R6MGS

Yoda
Right now regular here is about $0.97(although this is good, it's usually alot more) a litre.

My wifes MGA gets 26 mpg...Which I think is pretty good, unfortunatly right now I am commuting with the gas guzzling, premium only Cadillac....soooo my weekly gas bill is around $150...I do get a percentage of that back because I work for Esso(Exxon) and get an employee discount(about 15%).
I can't speak for onther countries but the biggest problem here is the tax put on gas....the government likes to point the finger at the oil companies...but what have they(the government) done to help the situation?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The price of 95 (european octane rating) unleaded hit US $5.54 / US gallon last week here in Israel. I didn't realize that the prices in the UK were so much higher (than here in Israel). Of course most of the price is taxes just like everywhere else where gas is really expensive!

Incidently, we still have 96 LEADED fuel available. Don't think that is sold in to many places any more. Not quite sure why they bother selling it, there are not enough old cars on the road to make it worth the bother.

Yisrael

piman

Darth Vader
Hello TR674,

do you have an overdrive model, that makes a difference to your economy? Still I wouldn't have thought that a TR6 would be worse than a 4wd. I have a (basically) TR5 engined 2000 saloon that does about 20ish around town\short trips and 25 to 28ish on a run and that's driven fairly hard.

Alec

TR674

Jedi Warrior
Alec
the only reason I haven't taken much notice of my fuel consumption is because my speedo over reads, approx 20% at 60km/h. I use the car to drive to work often and I know the journey is 9km each way. I can normally do that for 1/2 a tank for the 5 days driving sedately. I do have overdrive but it's only usable at freeway speeds. I'll take some notes......
Regards
Craig

OP
S

skikir

Jedi Hopeful
I do use my TR as an economy car. It gets 24mpg hot footing around town and with any kind of tail wind 31+mpg on the freeway with the top down. Right now it's sitting on the 1/2 mark with 180miles on the clock with one trip of 120 RT with the top up. I owe that to an electric fan, modified distributer to vacuum advance, overdrive and maybe Falcon exhaust. On the other hand, I have one cylinder that is virtually dead at idle. I am interested to see the difference with the top up.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Are you folks getting 24 (or so) miles to the US gallon? I am curious about what the target fuel consumption is for my TR3 and TR4 four cylinder. I imagine that is a good indication of how well it is tuned?

R6MGS

Yoda
Well my MGA gets 26mpg...B's about the same...Not sure for TR's but I'd assume somewhere in that range would be your target(24mpg is good) for the 4 cylinder TR's...I know my 6 was a bit of a gas guzzler compared to the MG's