• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A GAS TANK FELT

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Does anyone have a picture they took of their gas tank with the felt installed they could post? I searched here but did not see one for the TR4A. I have the service manual but not sure if I am seeing it all. Thanks Bruce

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
If you mean the felt pad that goes under the tank, I strongly suggest dispensing with it. It's a water trap, which leads to rust.

A lot of the felt used in British cars of that era was a bad idea, but, at the time, no one expected them to be around fifty years later.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have seen pictures on other TR's not 4A's that had it on the side(s). The Moss catalog shows what looks like 2 strips on the backside but none on the bottom. Is that correct? Any particular place to put them? Is there a preferred glue to use on felt? I have 3M black weatherseal adhesive.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Madflyer. Ok not really getting the answer to my main question which is where to place the felt. I assume it needs to go over the raised ribs for protection from rubbing but I have seen 2 pictures with it cut out and placed between the ribs. It looks better that way but I question if it is serving it's purpose like that. Bruce

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just pulled out a old VB catalog which says 4A's and TR6 tanks are the same. But I just noticed it shows a felt strip under the tank and maybe one on top of the tank. So now I am confused as what little I had seen showed it on the backside (2 strips). I don't think the felt under the tank is a good idea as Steve pointed out above. Bruce

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
It's not...I had to repair the tank on my 74 because the bottom felt held moisture long enough to create pin holes of rust on the bottom of the tank.
I don't have any felts at all on the 73 just a few strips of "RattleTrap" sound insulation on the front and rear....nothing on the bottom.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
I don't think there is any harm to put it on the side, if you are concerned about some kind of rubbing. I would just put it wherever it seems right and attach it with some kind of glue or, as MFlyer says, tape. No one is ever going to notice whether it's "right" or not.

When I tore down my 4A, there was no sign that it ever had any padding on the side surfaces of the tank.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ok - Obviously did not get a definative answer (about par with many things on these cars) so I will wing it and probably just do some on the backside. I did install a firewall so I will have to look at that close on the front side to see if it rubs. Thanks for your replies. Bruce

TRHARDTOP

Freshman Member
Country flag
Bruce,
Not a TR4 gas tank but...I have attached some photos of my 1961 TR3A tank that I did a few years ago. Showing the felt strips and the felt on the bottom of the tank. hope that might help.
Colin

Attachments

• IMG_7000.JPG
    IMG_7000.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_6990.JPG
    IMG_6990.JPG
    366 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_6993.JPG
    IMG_6993.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 71
  • tr roll bar.jpg
    tr roll bar.jpg
    430.6 KB · Views: 77

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Unfortunately my tank is inaccessible and I can't share photos of it.

My spreadsheet shows I installed four pieces of 611792, and I'm pretty sure this matched the felt I found (which I believe to be original).

However - like you said, the answer may not be black/white. Paul Anderson's site has great photos: > TR4A Petrol Tank <

"There seem to be quite a few different thoughts on where to place the felt. Many books and parts books put it in different places. So we decided to cover all angles other than the top."

Madflyer

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Felt for the most part is a bad idea when moisture is present I used peel off rubber pads. there is also a padding made from milk bottles that does not hold moisture. Fabric shops carry it for outdoor use under seat covers. It is easy to work with and I use it as padding on say door panels and as carpet padding. REMEMBER our car were built in the 50's,60's and 70's it is a new world of materials today.

OP
B

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I notice that the Paul Anderson site shows that the pieces are cut and fitted in between the ribs. It looks better that way but seems you are not covering the protruding part which would rub first. I have seen a couple of other pictures similar. And he placed felt on the frontside of the tank as well although I can't see that is what is shown in any "manual". I think I will basically do what Paul Anderson did and quit worrying about it. It is not a concours restoration anyways and there seems to no real concensus. Bruce