• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Filling up with Gas

M

mark75b

Hi,
I just went on my first freeway trip in my 75 MGB. It has been parked for 15 years. Well, it ran great and I am now ready to roll. Up to now I have been keeping it in town to work out all the bugs.

Oh, except that when I went to fillup the gas tank, the nozzle won't go all the way into the tank. I have to hold the vapor vacuum part of the nozzle back to trigger the gas pump.
What can I do?

Steve_S

Yoda
Some stations have the other type of nozzle without the rubber boot and spring. 76 / Unocal stations near me have these and are much easier to deal with. They still ahve the safety shut-off so there's no downside to using them other than breathing more yummy gasoline fumes. These nozzles are much better for motorcycles as well.

OP
M

mark75b

Thanks for the idea . No unocal stations around here but I will srart looking at all the other stations

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
I usually put the nozzle in side-ways and then rotate it little by little until I can get a steady stream of gas flowing into the tank. Sometimes I have to hold the nozzle's foreskin back to get it going good.

My only question regarding filling up the tank is: Can anyone with the stock fill neck fill their tank with the pump handle fully squeezed? I have to hold the trigger on the verge of shut off other wise it triggers the tank full shut-off... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Hmmm. I've never had an problem filling mine. Shove it in, put the auto-shutoff thingy on and watch my dollars head to the Middle East.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
eh... with the crazy spring loaded nozzle sleeves that they have on the pumps out here I can't just 'shove it in' and fill it up... the spring loaded collar/sleeve or whatever you wanna call it ALWAYS pushes the nozzle back out if I let go... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I always place the handle horizontal and hold it in place with my knee and let her pump till it shuts off. Never had a problem with the kali pumps. Then again the metal filler neck does help with that.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmmm... i might need to look into the gas tank emissions equipment then... I'm beginning to think the system might be clogged somewhere based on what you guys are saying...

i put the nozzle in upside down. if i dont i have some of the afore mentioned problems

Mark

Bugeye58

Yoda
I've never had any problems filling up at the Chevron stations out there, but my '65 Sprite doesn't have the evaporative emissions equipment, either.
Jeff

Steve_S

Yoda
I've never had any problems going full throttle, but I've never eben able to let go of the nozzle without risk of it falling out and getting gas all over the place.

OP
M

mark75b

Thanks again
IN the end ! I took the filler tube out of the car and cut out the center of the plate that covers the filler tube makeing the hole biger. The filler cap seal is to the out side of my new improved hole. All works well now but I do have to hold the nozzle.