• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Filling shocks

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
Hi gang. Was able to work on the GT this weekend. The windshield wipers quit--took apart the switch and found the metal thingy (JB copy righted) was bent. I was able to rebend it into the right shape and reinstall. The curtisy light quit and in the investigation of the wipers found a blown fuse. Replaced the eight rear spring bushings--found out the front ones don't come in the "kit". Now for the question--my car sits low in the rear and I want ot fill the shocks with oil (car sat for over two years before I got it). Do I jack up the body to put height in the suspension or just fill it as best as I can from the "level" position? Also found a RB Midget at the local wrecking yard. Main body in good condition-- motor, trans there. Needs trunk lid and interior work. What is the highest amount to offer? Car is white.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

$50-500 on the midget, no more than that. The engine will need rebuilt/replaced, and interior kits are about $1500-2000. Tony might have a bootlid for cheap.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Wave $200 in his face and see if he bites! Keep an extra couple $10's in your pocket in case ya gotta hagle. Worked with my GT 10 fold.

PaulP

On the shocks, it's not going to matter what position they're in when you fill them. Use 20w hydraulic fluid. You'll find the filler bolt is between 1/2" and 9/16". I understand it's actually a 1/4" Whitworth bolt. A filed 13 mm works.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
On the shocks, it's not going to matter what position they're in when you fill them. Use 20w hydraulic fluid. You'll find the filler bolt is between 1/2" and 9/16". I understand it's actually a 1/4" Whitworth bolt. A filed 13 mm works.

[/ QUOTE ]

A six-point 14mm socket can work in a pinch if the plug hasn't been beat up too much. Those filler plugs are about the only Rudge sized fittings on the car.

OP
L

LLAngus

Jedi Knight
So how full do I fill them? Also, Dr. A, I changed the rear bushings and it has made a difference in the handling of the car. I need to change the rear sway bar bushings. It has a wear mark where it is hitting the shocks(?). Again, thanks to you and Tony for all the advise.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
As full as you can get 'em. Replace the plug, drive around a bit (Good excuse!) or "bounce" the car for a bit, "burp" them (CAREFULLY remove the plug: it'll want to spit in yer eye!) and fill a bit more.

X

xsteamer

Nobody mentioned in the previous posts how to access the filling plugs for the rear shocks, so I will. Remove the carpet behind your seats and it should reveal a plastic plug either side of the battery cover. Remove them and you can access the rear shock filler nut/plug. Also I read somewhere that 50 weight hydraulic oil works good.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Used trunk lid - $50

Mack

Hello, PaulP mentioned 20w oil, I thought the shocks should be filled with 90w? And on that subject, I saw some 85-145w oil the parts store, how would this work for shock oil? would it make a stiffer ride? no difference? or would it be harmful? Thanks, Mack

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Not a good idea for anything much more than 50w... and that's a bit stiff. 20w motorcycle fork oil is appropriate. Mineral oil works too, but a bit stiffer.

I'd be wary of aught but mineral based oils. Just my opinion.

sparkydave

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Never heard of using 90 weight oil. The shock oil you get from Moss is 20 weight, and seems plenty stiff. I discovered that the lever shock damping is adjusted by changing the valve body in them, not changing the fluid, and I wouldn't go using "any old oil" unless you were really sure it's not going to damage something.

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
It is possible to over fill the shock, which when the oil gets hot will cause the oil to leak as it expands. The rasied bit on the rear shock lid, and on the front, is meant for that expansion. 90W is a no-no, there is a 2-way valve, the main valve under the 7/8" cap, and a poppet valve in each piston. Heavy oil will somply not flow properly, and will usually cause the rocker splines to strip, or the poppet valve ball to get loose. The 20W oil, in and otherwise servicable shock is more than enough. If I read the start of this thread correctly, it is that you are hoping to raise you car by adding oil. It wont. Shocks do not support weight nor alter the ride height. They "merely" dampen the oscillations caused by the road springs and/or the tires. Hope that helps. Peter C.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I was trying to be "diplomatic," Peter. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PeterC

Jedi Warrior
Ah, ahem, yes... diplomatic.. got it.
lessee
OK, Got it.
Try to stick with the recommended lubicants.

How's that? ;-) (where the heck are the emoticons y'all are using? I'm newish here.)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They (emoticons) *should* be just below the field you enter the text.

I've seen stripped splines, bent vertical links and even a broken lever arm from using "heavy" oils in these shocks.