• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Filling my O/D transmission

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
After a good couple of rides in my 65 3000 ,it's getting close to the time of the year, when I put it away for the winter. In the beginning of the year, I had all my fluid levels checked by my local mechanic but I think it's time to drain everything and refill all the fluids with new.My question is, when draining the transmission,is there two different sections because of the overdrive that have to be drained and two sections, that have to be filled?Does filling the trans also flow into the overdrive? I appreciate any help I can get on this. I hope everyone is doing well.
Bobby R

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello Bobby,

One place to fill the oil, where the dip stick is. Yes, it will flow into the overdrive.

Two drain plugs. One on the tranny, one on the overdrive.

When draining the oil from the overdrive, make sure to check the circular overdrive magnet and remove any metal particles. The magnet is under the screen cup in the overdrive brass plug.

Side note,
Maybe add a fuel stabilizer if your storing the car.

Cheers,
Roger

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Ed and Roger,
Thank you for your quick response.This week is a vacation week, so I should have plenty of time to get these projects done.I hope everything is good with you and yours
Bobby R

R

RonMacPherson

A question as to why you feel the necessity to drain all the fluids annually?

If you have not drained the fluids, other than once in the past, I can understand it as an examination to see if anything is coming out besides fluid(grit, metal, etc.)

Transmission fluids and differential fluids that use a GL gear oil were designed to go a minimum of 60,000 miles of normal usage before needing a change. Some manufacturers even suggest 90000 on some differentials.

Brake fluid, if it is Dot3 or Dot4, should be flushed every 2 years or 24 months, in my mind, most manufacturers that recommend flushing it say 36000 miles.

Antifreeze-coolant is good for at least two years,24000 miles.
Engine oil, I recommend changing regularly, as do all manufacturers.

So you might want to examine your fluids drained and consider readjusting your fluid replacement schedule toconserve resources in the future, fluids and your pocketbook..

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
RonMacPherson said:
A question as to why you feel the necessity to drain all the fluids annually?

So you might want to examine your fluids drained and consider readjusting your fluid replacement schedule toconserve resources in the future, fluids and your pocketbook..

Good point Ron. I would question, how much do you drive annually, to justify the fluid change.

My British mechanic stress's to me to change my transmission fluid. He says it's just as important as changing the engine oil.

The engine has an oil filter. Change the oil, change the filter.

The overdrive does not have a filter, but a screen and a magnet. I'm sure the magnet is catching some or most of the metal particles, but some continue to float around in the fluid.

Gears wear, hence the metal particles and shavings as seen on the magnet.

The more you change the fluid, and clean the magnet, the less metal is floating around in there.

I believe in prematenance. A little money out of your pocketbook every so many miles on a regular schedule, keeps more of your money from the rebuild because of excessive wear. In this case, the transmission.

R

RonMacPherson

Ah, but different processes. The engine oil has got combustion blowby and more severe stress loads imposed, so that does need more frequent servicing.

The gearbox, however, does not experience the same loading. It is a good idea to not leave the oil in forever. If you have gone through the o.d and gearbox then one inspection after 3-6 months of operation and then every other or third year should be more than adequate....

If you have not gone through the gear box, then an annual inspection may be worthwhile. Your decision, your car, I was just asking a question....

Not trying to stir up anything, just pass on information that might save you money and concern. I only have 35 years in as a mechanic...

Country flag
There is the consideration about toxic waste and using up natural resourses. After two years the gear box oil looks as good as new (Redline) and is still slick to the fingers. As particles sink in Redline and other non-detergent oils there should be no proplems with floating stuff messing with the gears ans orifaces (orifi?).

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
Changing the oil on regular short intervals is cleaning out the dirt that has built up over 43 years.This car was taken care of pretty good since the day my dad bought it from the showroom in 65 ,but it was also used everyday to get him to work.I just think, the more I can change out the fluids, the cleaner each unit will be.Like it was said,I guess it is up to ones personal preference.I hope everyone is doing well.
Bobby R