• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Shorten the radiator filling neck on a TR4?

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Thinking about it, anybody else do it? It developed a leak where the neck joins the radiator. I had it repaired at a rad shop a few weeks ago, its leaking again. I assume I pushed down to hard when I installed a new radiator cap, the correct one from a supplier. Shortening the filler neck would lessen the pressure on the joint, would also make it easier to remove the alternator. It would still have a semi original appearance.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Anytime you put the rad cap back on a long-necked radiator you want to put a hand under the neck to support it as you press down. That advice comes a bit late of course.

I had a slight crack along that seam (at the rad, under the neck) and repaired it with clear epoxy. Got the coolant level well below the crack. Cleaned up the area with solvent. Got the engine hot. Applied the epoxy. The idea (hope) was that as the engine cooled (rad cap on) the vacuum created would draw the epoxy into the crack for a good seal. It has held many years now though I use the above mentioned method to avoid reinjuring it.

If you eliminate a lot of the neck you may want some sort of recovery system as right now that neck provides your expansion tank -- without it you will effectively have less coolant in the system.

Adrio

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you are not worried about exact originality, you could consider a TR4A radiator and overflow bottle. Then there is no neck to worry about. Or is there some other difference between the 4 and 4A that prevents this that I am not aware of having never looked for differences.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Adrio said:
If you are not worried about exact originality, you could consider a TR4A radiator and overflow bottle. Then there is no neck to worry about. Or is there some other difference between the 4 and 4A that prevents this that I am not aware of having never looked for differences.

Adrio-

I'm pretty sure the 4A radiator is wider so won't fit the TR4 frame. Now someone can chime in and correct me!

Randy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR4nut said:
...I'm pretty sure the 4A radiator is wider so won't fit the TR4 frame...

Though a late 4 radiator will fit fine and although it did not come with an overflow bottle one can be easily added with no change to the rad or the stock cap. That is what I did and it overflows then pulls it all back in just fine.

Still, seems like a lot of trouble -- probably worth another try at fixing the crack in the neck.

One other thing that can cause a neck to crack is vibration. Good idea to have the correct accordian top hose and the upper supports in place.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I'm careful about putting the cap on the neck, I know it is somewhat fragile. Before I do anything to rash I am taking the radiator back to the shop tomorrow to give them another go at it. I guess I was bit disappointed, I wanted to head out of town with it tomorrow pm. I had the radiator reworded about 20 years ago and hadn't had any problem with it. The shop said they had pressure tested to 15 lbs after they made the repair, we shall see. The car has been so reliable and trouble free for so many years, I guess I get a little surprised when I just can't check the oil and go.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
Though a late 4 radiator will fit fine and although it did not come with an overflow bottle one can be easily added with no change to the rad or the stock cap. That is what I did and it overflows then pulls it all back in just fine.

I did something similar on my 4, but used a pressurized overflow tank I think from an MG. Looks pretty stock and made me feel better that the coolant was getting back into the radiator when it cooled down. Overkill likely as I know the TR bottle works too.

Randy

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
I really don't understand why I get so overwrought, the first thing I think of is to modify something. I took the radiator to the shop this morning, picked it up this pm. The repairman said it was his fault. For some reason the flux didn't work properly, when the hot coolant hit it, it leaked, even though it pressure tested fine. He said it happens sometimes and apologized. I asked him if the radiator header was rotting or thin, he replied the radiator was well made of good material. Time to check the oil and go.