• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Location of gearbox/transmission filling area

danb187

Freshman Member
Hi...new to this site but I've had a 63 Midget with a bugeye hood for several years. I only have a manual for a bugeye that describes the filler hole as being under the drivers floormat. Can someone advise where the location is on a midget...because it's not under the mat... Thanks, Dan

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Left side of the transmission tunnel towards the front there is an oblong rubber plug. Pull this out and you can reach the filler plug for the transmission. It's a bit of a PITA to get to, but is accessible. You'll need to pull up the carpet that is on the tunnel

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You should have an access hole under the trans tunnel on the upper, left side (Driver's side for US models).

If you lift the carpet over the front part of the trans tunnel, you should see a rectangular, rubber plug.

Remove the plug and things should look like this.

(use motor oil for the trans.....not gear oil)

https://www.mgexp.com/phile/3/181180/Oil_filter_gearbox_008.JPG

Last edited:

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
I found the simplest way to fill a Spridget gear box was take the three 7/16 bolts out of the shifter plate. Remove the shifter and fill with one quart of 30w non detergent engine oil. Be carful with the detent plunger not dropping down into gearbox. You can remove that easily too.

D

Deleted member 8987

I can answer the first part of your question easily. The location of the gearbox is directly aft of the engine, with the bell housing and clutch in between.
Dave

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Once you do get the plug open, then you have to open the fill bolt. Make sure you have a long enough extension on your socket wrench. The standard 2" extension for a 3/8 drive is just long enough for the ratchet to catch on the hood release knob and break it. Ask me how I found this out.

You also want to use a funnel with an extension when you fill, or a pump type device as the angle is a bit awkward for a standard funnel.

OP
D

danb187

Freshman Member
Thanks for all the advice. I found the rubber plug under the carpet and added almost a quart of oil to a very thirsty gearbox ��....Dan

nomad

Yoda
Been many a gearbox ruined by owners not as attentive as you! They use a scroll seal at the front and the oil does go away!

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
But the oil from the scroll seal is from the engine not the tranny.

nomad

Yoda
Scroll seal on the tranny as well, Jack. The British loved scroll seal's. I wonder if BP didn't have a plant in the engineering college's!

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ok, but the one on the tranny is not the leaker, in fact I have never seen one that shows any indication of leakeing. Just lucky maybe.

nomad

Yoda
Ok, but the one on the tranny is not the leaker, in fact I have never seen one that shows any indication of leakeing. Just lucky maybe.
Well you're right Jack but if you don't check your gearcase regularly the oil goes away and I can't figure out where else it could be going. I've got 2 boxes here that were both done in by being run dry it appears [PO].

Kurt.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The rear seal i should expect it is a cloth cotton like seal and the oil sloshes to it and is always wet it seems. Wonder why the tunnel does not rust, hehe oil from the rear seal.