• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Front shocks

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
In a perhaps futile effort to improve the ride, I decided to replace the front shocks of my '71. I believe these may be the original ones and they don't seem to give at all. Probably frozen. I bought KYB rear ones from Rock Auto but their website is impossible to navigate; NAPA and AutoZone don't show them; TRF calls their OEM types cheapos made who knows where; I can't see spending $$$ for Konis, so... what do I do?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Paul - I've used RockAuto for years without problems. What specifically are you looking for?
Tom M.

Nothing right now Tom, but thanks for the tip! :encouragement:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I checked RA, they don't seem to have front shocks for a TR6. Or a TR3 for that matter.

So, I guess you either buy cheap shocks, or expensive ones.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
You've come through again, Poolboy. These look good. I've never dealt with BPNW before so I guess this is a good time to start. I'll have to line up some help getting the old shocks off I'm sure. One of those "simple" replacement jobs that wind up taking 3 hours. The rear shocks were pretty easy.

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience with KYB shocks on a TR? I ask because they are a cheap option for the Porsche 912, and the 912 community universally reviles them. I think the problem is less the quality of the shocks (although they are nowhere close to the quality of Bilsteins or Konis) but more because the shock rate just isn't right for that car.

My 912 had KYBs when I bought it. I eventually replaced them with Bilsteins, and the difference was remarkable. I toyed with getting KYBs for my TR4A, but eventually bit the proverbial bullet and put Konis on it.

If any of you have KYBs on a TR, I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions of them.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I've got them on the rear of a TR6. They seem a bit stiff and one had to be replaced because the piston rod got bent but since I have no basis of comparison, I can't really say. It looks like they come in several grades - gas shocks, etc. Since they don't cost a fortune, you might give them a try.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
IMHO.....Rather than buy "off the shelf", I would first measure the car for overall length of shock required when standing, then find a shocker with the ideal compression and extension length to suit.
"Off the shelf" TR shocks from various suppliers will vary in compression and extension length and may not ideally suit your car.

Mike K

Freshman Member
Country flag
I put Konis on the front. May be pricey at Moss, but we’re about $200 for the same shock from Amazon (and free shipping)... by the way - I have had very good service from BPNW....