• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bumpers from Moss Motors

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Good day all,

I am restoring a '58 100-6 and am now ready for chrome schtuff. I have original bumpers that are in dire need of rechroming. I got a quote for $80 a foot. YIKES... thats about $400 for each bumper...

I am considering the purchase of after markets from Moss Motors but I am concerned about the quality.

Has anyone purchased bumpers form Moss and what is the quality???

BY THE WAY... Anyone know of a plating shop in SoCAL that does quality work at REASONABLE prices???

Thanks. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif

BlueRidge2

Jedi Hopeful
Ron, I have purchased the Moss Bumpers. Imop they look OK
but seem thinner and lighter than the orginals. If i had good cores I would rather have the orginals rechromed but if your not fussy about orginality the Moss bumpers seem ok. I am sure there are several guys on the forum that would be happy to buy your cores if you decide to go with the after market bumpers. I can't really give you an opinion on how durable the chrome is on the after market bumpers since mine have spent the past 3 years setting in the box in my garage. I would bet the rechromed orginals would be of better quality. Bob

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Bob,

Thanks for the note... ARGH, decisions, decisions....

By the way what does 'IMOP' mean??? <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Imop they look OK
[/QUOTE]

Ron /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
We've been discussing this over on the Triumph forum recently (and not so recently).

I would vote for Northstar/Keystone plating. Great work...they only do bumpers.

You can easly UPS or FedEx them for a reasonable amount and get your original bumper back rather than an offshore-sourced copy that isn't up to A-H specs.

My two cents.

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/299778/page/3#Post299778

Here's the story from Mopar Muscle...click on 'step by step' to see the process done...

https://www.moparmusclemagazine.com/howto/68378_bumper_restoration/

R

RonMacPherson

imop= in my opinion, hth= hope that helps.

There used to be a chrome shop in the NewportBeach/Huntington Beach area back in the 80's they did some good work on my TR-6. Can' remember the name, maybe a yellow pages search.

Since you are not that far from the border have you thought of going South?
I've heard they have some shops down there, and some do quality work.

imhop(humble is in there now)

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Ron,

Thanks for the note and the clarification of terms.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Regarding the Mexico connection... I use a shop near Puerto Nuevo that has done all of my bodywork and painting for an unreal price with OUTSTANDING results. THEY send their chroming work NORTH to get quality work...

I guess plating is getting tougher all the time...htatq (hope that answers the question.. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif )

Thanks again.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
ronzet said:
Good day all,

I am restoring a '58 100-6 and am now ready for chrome schtuff. I have original bumpers that are in dire need of rechroming. I got a quote for $80 a foot. YIKES... thats about $400 for each bumper...

I am considering the purchase of after markets from Moss Motors but I am concerned about the quality.

Has anyone purchased bumpers form Moss and what is the quality???

BY THE WAY... Anyone know of a plating shop in SoCAL that does quality work at REASONABLE prices???

Thanks. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thankyousign.gif
Try Christians, not cheap, in east LA or Verns plating better prices. All after market bumpers be cheaply made.--Fwiw--Keoke

Please note Christian is well known at Pebble Beach they do not come any better.-- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/nonod.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Gentlemen,

As usual, you have all been a wealth of information.

I will 'bite the bullet' and re-chrome the originals. Fortunately they are all straight, unbent, and re-chromable...

If the shop that I will use turns out to be a good one, I will let you all know...

Thanks again...

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
YankeeTR,

Thanks for the links... and the advice...

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
ronzet said:
YankeeTR,

Thanks for the links... and the advice...

You're welcome.

Just don't use "bumper boyz"...the chrome will rust in the /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cryin.gif packaging.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
This raises an interesting question. How do we tell whether a bumper is original or not? My bumpers need re-chroming also, but if they are repros anyway, why not just buy new repros already plated, and probably cheaper. Are there stampings, thickness measurements, or any other definitive way to sort the old from not so old?

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Cutlass,

What a great question. I don't have an answer, but what a great question....

Ron

Country flag
We have a great , very resonable plater in Carson City, NV. Bumper plus other things like the gear shift shaft and some side chrome came to 250.00 total. Perfect job. One week service cause one of his vats was being worked on other wise it would have been 4 days. Nice prep and quality finish.
Be careful cause many places send the stuff out (as in, Mexico)and then you loose stuff and it takes longer. You are paying the shipping for them thus the higher price. Talk to your local Hot Rod clubs.

cutlas, if you had one of each in hand you could feel the difference in their weight and you could actually grip the repro at each end and twist it into a knot/propeller. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
ronzet

ronzet

Jedi Knight
Tahoe Healey,

Ya' know that is a great suggestion. We spend too much time focused in out LBC community when we have this huge community of Hot Rodders out there that chrome

E V E R Y T H I N G

on their cars. That is an untapped wealth of knowledge...

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif

Ron

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
Cutlass said:
This raises an interesting question. How do we tell whether a bumper is original or not? My bumpers need re-chroming also, but if they are repros anyway, why not just buy new repros already plated, and probably cheaper. Are there stampings, thickness measurements, or any other definitive way to sort the old from not so old?
I'm not sure about Healey bumpers but repoped TR3 bumpers are a far cry from originals...thay have 'wings' where they wrap around the front fenders and don't closely follow the originals contours.

Your best bet is to closely compare your bumpers with known originals.

bmurphy7369

Jedi Trainee
I was browsing the old threads and noticed the words Moss and Bumpers.... ughh.
The only experience I had was in 1991 when I order all three MGA front pieces, and the hardware. When I installed the set on the MGA it looked like I had just run into a post on the right side, they were bent from the box. The plating was also very thin and looked rather cheap compared to the originals. I hope that this was a rare mishap, but I don't believe I'll ever chance it again. I hope you found a shop and are happy with the outcome.

Brian

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have Moss repros on my car and they look reasonable but not great. Chrome is actually flaking off in one area. When I bought my car, the restorer told me the repro bumpers will last for about 10 years or so, and he's right. I would gladly pay more for a repro bumper of better quality if only such an item were available.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Cutlass said:

Hi Cutlass, An unmolested original Healey buumper will weigh ~ 9 Pounds. Repros are lighter and IMOP just Junk but what you gonna do about that. If your originals are good bite the bullet and have them replated.--Fwiw--Keoke