• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Stainless Steel Spitfire Bumpers on ebay- Info

shining_armor

Just thought someone might benefit from some information that I found. There is a company selling stainless steel repro bumpers for MK I and II Spitfires. The email is groupharrington.com and the location of the item is listed as England. NOT. I contacted the company to see if they were going to make them for MK IIIs. They said they would like to and would give me a break on a set if they could use my old bumpers as a pattern. DHL was supposed to pick them up. Turns out the company is in Viet Nam. They want me to fraudulently list the bumpers as houshold decorations, because it's ILLEGAL to import used car parts into Viet Nam. Not enjoying the prospect of prison, I passed. I have not seen the actual bumpers they produce, so I have no idea of the quality. But they are manufactured in Viet Nam and that's where they're shipped from.

Ernie

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
FWIW, I have seen the SS bumpers made for the TR6 from this company and they are of good quality and fit well. They are a good alternative to having your originals re-chromed and are much cheaper IME. The only negative (if there is one) is that the inside of the bumpers are black.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I bought a stainless bumper set from them for my TR3. I don't know about now, but, at the time, there was no misrepresentation about their location.
The bumpers look good, fit well and represent a substantial savings over any of the other sources I looked at -- chromed OR stainless.

While the transaction was smooth and they seem legitimate, I think I, too, would balk at what they asked you to do. There's a classic case of unintended consequences for you: legislation to protect Viet Nam's auto parts manufacturers makes it impossible for them to get patterns to copy...

HerronScott

Darth Vader
I had run across these as well at one point. I do see that the current eBay auction lists the UK as the item location but in digging deeper I had found their web page information showing the company to be based in Vietnam.

Harrington bumpers

I was wondering what the quality was like compared to rechroming originals or purchasing reproduction chrome ones.

Scott

Moseso

Jedi Knight
Country flag
HerronScott said:
I was wondering what the quality was like compared to rechroming originals or purchasing reproduction chrome ones.
The fit and finish are good. I haven't taken a micrometer to them, but my impression is they are not as thick as originals. Of course, it's hard to imagine anything flimsier than an original TR3 bumper -- but these may, in fact, be... I try not to run into stuff.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
It appears to me the bumpers on these cars are for show only, if you hit my TR6 from behind at 5 MPH I am sure it would damage the body, seems there is only a 1/8 inch clearance from bumper to body, I might have to work on that when the bumper goes back on after the paint job

Its about time China had to worry about jobs leaving their country

Hondo