• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

U Bolts and axle bumpers

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
I want to take the u bolts off my BT7 and put the bumpers on top of the axle, the ones that contact the bump box. My car is missing them. I heard years ago that you should never reuse u-bolts. Is that true? They look in great shape. Just need paint.

While I got this apart is there a pad under the axle on top of the plate I should replace too?

Any other parts in that area that ware I should look at while I am there?

Thanks Scott

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello dvu101,

There is no reason I know of not to re-use "U" bolts.

Personally, I have removed both the bump rubbers and the bump box from both of my Healeys for a couple of reasons. Firstly it gives you more room when you have to get in there to work and secondly it allows a bit more suspension movement.

Yes, there is a hard rubber pad moulded onto the plate that is attached to the frame under the axle.

While you are there check the mounting bolts for the rear shocks. Sometimes they come loose and wear the holes out making it difficult to keep the bolts tight.

Depending how far you want to go you could also look at the bushes in the spring eyes. This can be a long winded job depending if the spring eye bolts come out easy or not.

Where do you want to stop?.

Best regards,

bundyrum

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Scot

I'm with Bandyrum - re use your U bolts, I replaced one that looked to be partially rusted but the other was OK and was re-used - no problems.

Whilst you are in dismantling mode check supports, bushes, spindles/bolts at both ends of the springs, the rear holding detail is the worst, the one with the grease nipple at the rear, the spindle tends to get worn and the metal bushes also get worn, the spindle is easy to replace but the metal bushes are a sod, from memory you can just about drft out the inside bush but the outside bush is the problem. Restorers generally smash the bush out when the wing ( fender) is off - easy, but with it on - most difficult. One of mine fell out due to wear I guess the other stayed in and was not replaced.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My answer is, it all depends. If they were recently replaced, they should come off just fine. If they are old/original, you may be in for a challenge.

When you remove the nuts from the U bolt, closely watch the shaft sections of the U-bolt. If the shaft section starts to twist with the nut, you are weakening the strength of the U bolt and may even snap it off. U-bolts that twist during removal should be replaced.

To avoid this, first clean off the threads that are sticking down through the nut. You don't want to try and force the nuts past a lot of road grime that is sticking to the threads of the u-bolt. Next, apply penetrating oil like PB Buster to the nut and exposed threads of the U-bolt. Give the nuts a couple of raps with a wrench and let them sit for a while.

Once the oil has had a chance to penetrate, loosen each nut a half turn before you really start to remove any one of them. They start best while the entire assembly is tight. As you loosen the nuts, start with a boxed end wrench and just look right at the portion of the bolt that sticks down through the nut as you turn the wrench. If the shaft turns with the nut, then you have a problem.
If the shaft is moving with the nut, carefully apply heat to the nut. You may be able to remove the nut and save the U-bolt if you do not twist it too much.

Reuse the U -Bolt if the clean and the thread are OK.

But removing the Bumpstop is not recommended. Your springs will over stress and bend. The shock absorber if OE or conversion will get to a metal-metal contact and transfer the load to the mount and break.
Its a NO NO.

Mr.JAJA

Country flag
All good points, and I can only include the following:

As you loosen the U-bolts, the axle and spring will separate; the U-bolts may not be long enough to allow the spring to be completely free of compession (mine aren't). If you continue to loosen the nuts, you'll almost certainly damage the last couple of threads, making it more difficult to get the nuts restarted on your otherwise good U-bolts.

To prevent that, I've used a couple of methods; the easiest is to place a large enough C-clamp to hold the axle housing againt the spring (also makes removing the nuts easier, let alone safer). The alternative is to position a Porta-Power (ram & appropriate extensions) between the spring eyes, thereby keeping the spring flat.

The rubber bump being MIA on your car will make the clamping easier, and upon reassembly, you'll just need to rig up your clamps(s) around it.

ALWAYS be mindful of what you're doing anytime you're working around springs. They are one (1) of the most dangerous aspects of working on a car. Think each step through, and keep yourself out of trouble :wink:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
dvu101 said:
I want to take the u bolts off my BT7 and put the bumpers on top of the axle, the ones that contact the bump box. My car is missing them. I heard years ago that you should never reuse u-bolts. Is that true? They look in great shape. Just need paint.

While I got this apart is there a pad under the axle on top of the plate I should replace too?

Any other parts in that area that ware I should look at while I am there?

Thanks Scott
Good day Scott. I would replace them, and the nuts also, there cheap insurance. I agree with all else mentioned. Just my opinion.

OP
D

dvu101

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks all. Looks like I got another job for a weekend before its driving time.