• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chrome Bumpers

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Yea, originals are much heavier and don't have the made in China sticker on them.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Not sure about this but think the original BJ7/BJ8 bumpers or guess most of the six cylinder cars had a heavy bumper as described but also had (for lack of a better term) an interior finish that had small waves in it which guess added strength ? In other words, interior finish was not perfectly smooth but slightly uneven. Just recalling this from some of the six cylinder cars I have had over the years and their bumpers versus the new, light weight imported bumpers with their perfectly smooth interior finish.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The weight, super-thin chrome (and the "Made in China" stickers :highly_amused:smile: are all tell-tales. In the original six cylinder bumpers there is an indentation along the lower edge in the middle that IIRC isn't there on the repros. Below is a pic of my original BJ7 front bumper taken from the top in the license plate area. Anyone with a repro want to confirm the absence of the indentation on the repro?

IMG_0313.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0313.jpg
    IMG_0313.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
You'll have to locate a fellow Healey owner nearby that has original bumpers to really tell. Original bumpers and over riders all have a sharper crisper look to them. Repo's appear to have been made by wrapping over an original and thus comeout looking larger and more bulbous. The semi-circle indentation as stated is another indicator but than can be duplicated by just grinding. Originals have the semi-circle ground before chroming. BTW that semi-circle needs to be on the bottom when installed.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
The chinese guy who copied mine was aware of the semi-circle ;-))

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My repro bumper definitely has that semi-circle. In fact, I assumed it was defect associated with the repro! I'm relieved to hear it's actually a "feature".

As for the overriders, there is a subtle but noticeable difference between originals and repros. However, unless you've seen them next to each other, I think it would be hard to tell if an overrider is original or repro just from a description.

Keith

Jeepster

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I bought a nice set of repro bumpers and overiders from eBay and managed to sell my very poor condition originals for more than I paid for the repros!
i will probably regret it in years to come but at the time it solved a problem.