• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Carpet, sound proofing, and painted bumpers, Oh My!

NC Mike

Okay fellows, it's been a number of years since I took an active part in my B-GT's life, beyond the occasional grocery run. It's been longer since I was even remotely active here (my apologies, Basil).

Given Basil's unabashed enticement (watch give-away) I have decided to post this here and see where it goes.

Here's the scenario -

My 74.5 GT has been a "recreational use" auto since I acquired it and returned it to use. That describes the last 11 years. I have enjoyed the benefit of "employer provided" transportation during that time frame. Now there's a possibility that I might have to rely on the GT as a daily driver.

Eleven years or so ago, I spent more hours that I care to admit sanding and repairing, then painting the car. As I was not satisfied with my own paint work, I never invested the effort to protect the paint. Needless to say, it's dead, and I have a few spots that again need attention.

Given the possibility of it becoming my primary transportation again, I am preparing to disassemble/strip the car down for some in-patient care at one of the local paint and body shops. My plan is to deliver the car sans trim, lights, bumpers, mirrors, antenna, window trim, interior panels, etc., so that the body work and paint can be completed with as little overspray as possible. There's less likelihood that little bits and pieces will be messed up at the body shop if I remove and reinstall them myself.

The bumpers and marker lights were removed last night.

Now you're up to speed.

My questions / requests for input from you are these . . .

1. Carpet
Among other things, I plan to remove the carpet during the body shop prep work. It's currently the original carpet. The smell reminds me of the inside of my Grandfather's 1963 VW Beetle (during the late 60's), and if I close my eyes when I first get in the car, I can almost envision my Grandfather - but that's a different rabbit trail). The carpet is unfortunately past its prime, and has raveled, worn, and torn sufficiently so that replacement is warranted.

With respect to the carpet, what's your suggestion about "original" style replacement (smell being a plus), or a fitted kit of modern variety?
Mickey Richaud, you posted some nice photos in your GT Conversion post a few years back. I'd appreciate your input.

2. Sound deadening/proofing
Seems a given, since I'll have the interior disassembled anyway, that I should consider installing a layer of sound proofing. My ears ring constantly, and extended time in the car aggravates that a bit, not to mention that new cars have us all spoiled when it comes to sound levels.
I've read about various products, dynamat, n-butyl rubber self adhesive roofing products, cloth batting, etc. I'm open to suggestions here. Please share experiences with what you've tried, and the results, either good or bad.

3. Painting bumpers
Okay, damask red, rubber bumpered GT. As much as I'd like to repaint in a different color (saw a beautiful burgundy metallic RBB here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iF-JgHtbugg) I'm leaning toward the same or a similar to original color. That's a discussion that's been repeated, no need to flog that horse again.
I have two sets of bumpers. Both sets are "unmolested," so to speak. There's the pair that is original to the car, and a "spare" set. I'm tempted to have the spare set painted to match whatever color I have the car painted. That way I can change the "look" by swapping bumpers.
Do you have any thoughts, one way or the other? (While you're at it, if you know of a "modern" lightly metallic maroon similar to Damask Red and want to make a suggestion, I'm still open to input.)

Logistics -

I spend most of the day in front of a computer, typing, researching, drafting, and occasionally, writing a post.
I must re-focus on work now, and will probably be in the garage working on the car tonight and tomorrow, and wrapped up with church on Sunday.
I'll do my best to get online and check for responses at least once this weekend, and as often as time permits in the coming week. So, if I'm a bit slow on the reply you know why, and have my apologies.

On a side note - Basil - if I remember correctly, some time ago you posted either here or on another popular MG site about brakes. If memory serves, you suggested certain parts - rotors, pads, etc. The GT is due for brakes, and I'd like you to refresh my memory about what you said, if you can. System is standard/oem. I do have a booster with master cylinder, pedal, and pedal box available from a later model B, but I remember hearing about a space conflict between that setup and the oem air cleaners for the twin SU's. If there's a way to do it, I'll install that also.

So much to do, potentially so little time.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, Mike - welcome back!

I can give you only one piece of advice: Don't skimp on carpet; you'll regret it. There was a set that came with Tony's GT; thought it was decent quality, but the heel pad on the driver's side is already cracked and pretty much useless. Will have to replace at some point.

If you're looking for the authentic British aroma, you'll want wool. If/when I redo mine, I may spring for the Prestige Trim product (they're the ones that supplied my seat covers and panels). Not cheap, but excellent quality:

https://www.prestigeautotrim.com/usa/mgb-carpets-1967-1980-gt-standard.html

OP
N

NC Mike

Hey, Mike - welcome back!

I can give you only one piece of advice: Don't skimp on carpet; you'll regret it. . .
If you're looking for the authentic British aroma, you'll want wool.
. . .Prestige Trim product (they're the ones that supplied my seat covers and panels). Not cheap, but excellent quality:

https://www.prestigeautotrim.com/usa/mgb-carpets-1967-1980-gt-standard.html

Sometimes it's hard to re-focus on work. Especially so when I'm talking cars.

Thanks for the quick input Mickey. You're right about it not being cheap.
If I can live without the authentic aroma, is their "classic standard" similar to what I referred to as a "fitted kit of modern variety?"

I noticed that they offer a sound deadening kit also. Do you have any idea how well that performs vs dynamat? (which can be purchased for about 1/2 the cost from Walmart)

Mike

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Paint: Personally, I like non-metallic colors on an otherwise stock MGB - but that's a matter of personal preference. I've seen some very nice looking dark red metallic on some late model Cadillacs though! If you repaint it the original color in non-metallic single stage it'll probably be cheaper, and everything that isn't painted (like the engine bay) will still be a decent match.

Bumpers: I like your idea of having a set painted and a set left original. The body color look makes the car look more modern. It looks better on darker colors. I've seen 'em done in light colors (like white) and I didn't care for it. Seems like it just brought too much attention to the bumpers. Your Damask car would look good that way if that's your preference.

Sound Deadening: I haven't used it, but a lot of people have been very happy with a product called (appropriately) B-Quiet. I believe it's much like Dynamat, but considerably less expensive. I've often wondered how much difference (if any) it would make if the interior was done in softer materials....cloth seats, door cards, etc., instead of vinyl). It would seem logical that more sound absorbent materials would make some difference in the sound being reflected.

Carpet: Just don't get the cheapest...and be sure to get carpet that is molded to the tunnel (the cheapest sets usually aren't).

Brake booster: Yes, you would have to reconfigure your air cleaners....either with the shallow cone shaped K&Ns (or similar), or the new air box Moss now sells to solve that issue. You would also probably have to replace your brake hard lines. The master cylinder would be moved forward, and I'm not sure if the original lines can be moved around enough to reach.

OP
N

NC Mike

Paint: Personally, I like non-metallic colors on an otherwise stock MGB - . . .If you repaint it the original color in non-metallic single stage it'll probably be cheaper, and everything that isn't painted (like the engine bay) will still be a decent match.

Bumpers: I like your idea of having a set painted and a set left original. The body color look makes the car look more modern. . . . Your Damask car would look good that way if that's your preference.

Sound Deadening: B-Quiet . . . I've often wondered how much difference ....cloth seats, door cards, etc., instead of vinyl . . .

Carpet: Just don't get the cheapest...and be sure to get carpet that is molded to the tunnel (the cheapest sets usually aren't).

Brake booster: Yes, you would have to reconfigure your air cleaners....the new air box Moss now sells to solve that issue. You would also probably have to replace your brake hard lines. . .

Paint comments - agreed. Overall color match and cost were part of the decision to hold to Damask. Besides, this car may end up "jekyll" to a "hyde" second rubber bumper GT car that currently lacks a power train. That's a story for another, later post.

Bumper paint comments - I've seen Rick Ingram's car, and like the look. There are a number of cars in this forum post from 2013
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf/showthread.php?88862-Painted-Rubber-Bumpers! that contain some beautiful examples. From that post, and going back to the "light metallic similar to Damask" there are two photos in the original post, one with modified turn signal openings and one with stock turn signals that are close to Damask, but look something other than solid color. The maroon with the LE wheels in the foreground of aeronca65t's post is very nice, and if I'm not mistaken, is parked next to a Damask Red car.

Sound deadening comments. My biggest concern about the B-quiet is the composition. I've read a number of forum posts where the topic was discussed at some length. I've also done a considerable amount of home addition/renovation (which is the primary reason for my absence from this and other forums). I've researched a number of products, and have used a product for flashing window openings that is nearly identical to b-quiet during my projects. The unfortunate side effect of using a "rubberized asphalt" product within the confines of the enclosed cabin of a B-GT is the unmistakable aroma of asphalt, especially when heated sufficiently. (think coastal North Carolina summer afternoon when it's about 105 outside of a Damask Red car without air conditioning.) There are asphalt-free products which use n-butyl rubber instead, are identical otherwise, and don't have the aroma.

As for using more fabric, less vinyl, you've described my interior. It's stock, and the only vinyl is on the door panels and dash. I'm not sure if it would make any difference.

Carpet comments - I've read about how much nicer the molded carpet sets seem to fit. I'm in favor of a nice fit.

Booster comment - I haven't looked through Moss lately. I know they've offered the K&N filter and plate set for a while. Looking just now I see the "cold air intake" setup that comments about being able to retrofit a brake booster. While neither option is cheap. they do offer a way to fit both the original twin side drafts and the later booster. Speaking of the booster and re-positioned master cylinder, brakes don't scare me. If I have to replace lines also, that's no big deal. Thanks for the reminder, just the same.

Well, my typing speed is telling on me - it's almost 10:30. Time to call it a day.

Oh!, by the way. The body side molding pieces and headlight trim rings are off now.

Edit - Where are my manners? Thanks for the comments, Joe!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Can't add a lot to this - I went with a Stock Interiors - https://www.stockinteriors.com/?gclid=CM6Gl8CxhssCFQkwaQodwpIC4Qwhich is about as inexpensive as you can get and they are fine after 7 years. I also went with Loop carpet (rather than cut pile) to make my car look older (works really well in a subtle way :smile:

What I would say is that if you see a decision about your upholstery coming up, do it all at once (and preferably with the same company) I got new seat covers last year with red piping and it is close to but not quite the same red as the carpet. It's fine but not perfect.

OP
N

NC Mike

more Oh My!

Thanks for the input, JP! I have the original seats and a pair of Mr. Mike's covered Fiero GT seats, all in black, and I will use one set or the other. There are some minor wear issues on the seats, but I hadn't given much thought to reupholstering the seats. I guess I better think about that before I choose a carpet provider.

I learned something new this weekend. The door from a B is not a direct bolt on replacement for a B-GT.
It fits, but only with some unexpected work.:grumpy:
Short story - I knew the vent window and door glass would be different, so those were removed from the donor (B) door in preparation for installing the glass and vent window from the GT door.
What I learned, is that there is a small portion of the exterior sheet metal, top side, latch end, that has to be cut away in order for the door to close.
So much for removing the interior this weekend.
I took a few photos and may post an article about it one day.

I have another paint question up for your comments.

Regardless of paint color chosen, original or slightly different, the car will essentially be maroon. With a black interior, no a/c (maybe some day), and local temps that like to hover in the 90 - 100 degree, Fahrenheit, and humidity in the sub-tropic range, things get a bit warm inside.

I have often considered painting the uppermost flat portion of the roof a complimentary shade of white. Somewhat like the white roof on the cabs of pickup trucks in the 60's and 70's, when trucks were trucks and were not equipped with a/c as standard equipment.

The thought being that the white color will help reflect heat and keep the cabin a more tolerable temperature during the summer months.

What say you?

Thanks,

Mike

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OP
N

NC Mike

BTW SWMBO & I spent a week last year and the year before at a timeshare in New Bern - loved it! A pretty and peaceful place and lots of wonderful seafood!

Timeshare . . . I'll guess Fairfield Harbour.

Off topic, but what the heck - I've had family in New Bern since 1975-'76 and have lived here since 1985. Family history in the area dates back to Dad's tour of duty at Cherry Point, Marine Corps Air Station in the late 50's early 60's. My wife and her family are from the area, generations back. Pretty and peaceful, overall, yes, thank you.

I've often wondered how someone from, say Toronto, chooses New Bern as a vacation destination.

I'm not giving up on the white/cream colored roof just yet. I envision a complimentary appearance, almost like the roof on this attractive Mini - https://www.classic-chrome.net/cars/rover-mini-sprite-1993-l-red . That Nightfire Red Pearl is a nice color too.

Oh well, back to work.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oh, don't get me wrong - the colour combo would be lovely - just not sure it would cool the car!

Why would someone from say, Toronto come to Fairfield Harbour? (well sussed) We have a friend who owns 72 weeks per year of timeshare - she and her husband literally live in timeshares year round. Two years ago we wanted to get away and just rest - I emailed her and said, we want 1. Quiet, 2. On Water, 3. Great Seafood, 4. Warm. New Bern ticked all the boxes. And, because it is a more basic (and slightly out of the way) resort the price was REALLY right. We spent a week there and then went on to Orlando for two weeks - of warm, seafood and busy! Last summer we had my son's surprise wedding and my wife in school and work and... New Bern was a real easy decision to go away for a week and just rest - sleep in, read a book, go for a walk, sit on the dock at the resort, drink a beer, eat seafood and watch the sailboats come in. I love Atlantic Beach - love the various seafood places - and there is something quite lovely about going to the Home of Pepsi for a float and knowing that is about as exciting as it gets. :smile: Oh and the pizza joint half way to Fairfield Harbour is amazing!!!

OP
N

NC Mike

Oh, don't get me wrong - the colour combo would be lovely - just not sure it would cool the car!

Why would someone from say, Toronto come to Fairfield Harbour? (well sussed) We have a friend . . . . Oh and the pizza joint half way to Fairfield Harbour is amazing!!!

Even if it doesn't cool the car, it's nice to hear someone else voice an appreciation for the look.

It must be nice having a friend with so much access to timeshare.
I think you're talking about Big Apple Pizza. I've heard many compliments about that location. Actually drove by there today on the way to/from Fairfield Harbour. They have a smaller place in the mall also.

Progress update:
Both doors disassembled, just sheet metal, latch, and interior door handles remain.
Rear windows and all trim pieces de-riveted and removed.
Not sure if I'll get to the interior disassembly Thursday or Sunday afternoon.

good night!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Big Apple Pizza indeed! but lots of great places to eat!

I don't own any timeshare but connected with this individual through the Timeshare Users Group - actually quite similar to BCF in tone and helpfulness. I actually met she and her husband in person for the first time in January - up till then all was interweb or phone. One of the things those who think about such things note is the rise of the "trust economy" on the interwebnet. Paypal/ Ebay/ Uber/ even many (most) of the interactions on BCF depend on trust - reviews sometimes, but others just horse sense. It reassures me that trust matters and that the overwhelming majority of people are trustworthy in spite of a very few that aren't - and in spite of fearmongers. But I digress. Glad to hear you are making progress and please post pictures so that we who look outside and see snow falling can have hope!!!

cheers

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I have used Dynamat in my Corvette and was "ok" with it, but a product recommended by a local stereo install shop called "Roadkill" is what I am installing in my EType. Here's a video about this product.

OP
N

NC Mike

. . . "Roadkill" is what I am installing in my EType.. . .

I'll have to watch that video when I get a chance at home.

Unfortunately, I have discovered another problem that complicates the body work. Once I removed seats and the original rubber mats, I discovered that the driver's floor pan will have to be replaced.

The joys of owning an older car, oh, happy, happy!

MustangSix

I did soundproofing on my GT. I used a product similar to dynamat on the entire tunnel and floor from firewall to boot. Then I used a 1/8" closed cell neoprene on top of that. Between those two and the carpet, that seems to take care of most of the unwanted frequencies and the heat from the engine. Also, I used 1/2" closed cell foam to soundproof the underside of the bonnet. You'd be surprised how much racket comes from the engine thru the bonnet, especially at 70-75mph. Pay particular attention to the floor above the rear muffler. A lot of exhaust noise comes thru that space. Once all that is done, you'll begin to be annoyed at the wind noise but you'll be able to hold a conversation....:playful:

OP
N

NC Mike

Once all that is done, you'll begin to be annoyed at the wind noise but you'll be able to hold a conversation....:playful:

Unfortunately, my ears ring from too many years listening to wind noise. (long story for another day).

Not remembering that the car had the original rubber mats on the floor underneath the heavy rubber floor mats (out of site, out of mind, so they say), carpet should be one step in the right direction. Soundproofing like you've described would be a second, if not third in the right direction.

Driving the car this past Monday from shop to shop, I was wearing some 29dB reducing headphones and it was still a bit loud in the cabin. Of course, the only thing in the interior was the driver's seat, and the only glass was the windshield and hatch glass.

And for some reason, there were more troopers on the road that afternoon. Oh, the second looks I received!

I have a rather large roll of closed cell rubber underlayment left over from when I replaced my wall-to-wall carpet with engineered hardwood flooring in my slab-on-grade house. The underlayment was claimed to take away that hollow sound that wood over concrete can have. It worked. Also keeps the floor a little warmer. I might have to re-purpose part of that roll. Heck, the bag it's in is only collecting dust under my bed anyway.